LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 259 users in the forums

Best (value) deep threat WR?

Best (value) deep threat WR?

With the emergence of Kaepernick and his strong arm, the Niners need WR that can stretch the field. Best case scenario is that AJ Jenkins becomes a legit down field threat. But even if he does, having multiple down field options (Jenkins, Davis, rookie WR) makes the play-action pass a very effective option.

I was a very big fan of Hunter, but I think he'll go higher than he should. The more I think about it, I am starting to think that Terrance Williams might offer the best value, depending on where he actually falls. He is tall, and at his best when he is catching the ball over his shoulder down field. He could be a true out side threat to stretch the field, with enough height to be a legit red zone target for jump balls.

He's not necessarily a burner, or great in the underneath or intermediate routes like Hopkins, but he can stretch the field. If he falls to 61 or even 74, I think he's be an excellent value as a compliment to Crabtree.
[ Edited by Butter on Apr 16, 2013 at 3:30 AM ]
A guy to watch not on your list is Aaron mellette. Alot of people may disagree wit me, but he could end up a TO clone when all is said and done. Besides running the exact same 40 times and having almost identical size, they also have a similar game.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
If you are talking about a legit deep threat wideout which is exactly what I think we need, Justin Hunter is your man. He has the height at 6'4" and playmaking ability to give 9ers that badly needed dimension. This guy can go up to take the top off against double teams.

Justin Hunter's rating has gone up to 6th which could make him a legit 1st rounder. Quite a few analysts have him go in late 1st. I was hoping to get him at 31st, but that is far from safe.

But, since your question is on "value", there might be a few possibilities in the later rounds such as :

• Marcus Davis (rated 28th, projected to go in round 6-7)
  • Tyrone Goard (rated 35th, prjected to go in round 7 or FA)
IMO you're missing the one that will scare teams the most- Marquise Goodwin.
Steadman Bailey is an absolute terror. What I like most about him is he runs great routes and has sure hands. He has been somewhat disregarded because of the steady climb that Tavon Austin has had.
Always love reading scouting reports saying a guy is quicker than fast, then read his 40 time is sub 4.4! Stills may be a great value in the mid to late rounds.
late round value pick - Rodney Smith, Florida St. - 6'4" - 4.51 40-yard dash. Not super productive in college. Pretty much only ran fly routes. But he seems to have the tools plus high character.
Da'Rick Rogers all the way. He's got the size and speed to be elite and has the production of a 1st round pick.

However, I have a feeling that he is being overlooked by many and will get picked long before the 3rd round.
If a certain handful are off the board, I have no problem with Justin Hunter at 31.

Really like some of the later rd receivers mentioned. (Mellette, Rodney Smith) Also Corey Fuller and Jaron Brown might be someone to look at in the last 2 rounds.
Rogers then possibly Rodney Smith or Mellette later. I like Mellette dishing out muscular punishment like a young TO used to.

I would LOVE to see us draft both Hopkins and Bailey. Those guys both look like NFL talent to me. And I like that they would both bring something slightly different to the table.
I think Aaron Dobson should be on the list since we might be able to get him in the 4th at the very latest.
Originally posted by Butter:
With the emergence of Kaepernick and his strong arm, the Niners need WR that can stretch the field. Best case scenario is that AJ Jenkins becomes a legit down field threat. But even if he does, having multiple down field options (Jenkins, Davis, rookie WR) makes the play-action pass a very effective option.

I was a very big fan of Hunter, but I think he'll go higher than he should. The more I think about it, I am starting to think that Terrance Williams might offer the best value, depending on where he actually falls. He is tall, and at his best when he is catching the ball over his shoulder down field. He could be a true out side threat to stretch the field, with enough height to be a legit red zone target for jump balls.

He's not necessarily a burner, or great in the underneath or intermediate routes like Hopkins, but he can stretch the field. If he falls to 61 or even 74, I think he's be an excellent value as a compliment to Crabte.
What ABOUT Marquess Wilson and another good receiver in the late round Mark Harrison and a good punt returner is ACE SANDERS!
Hunter is my favorite WR to ... with him being so raw N to light I don't think he's worth a first round pick or a second round pick ..I would taken with #74 though but it wont happen ...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Hunter is my favorite WR to ... with him being so raw N to light I don't think he's worth a first round pick or a second round pick ..I would taken with #74 though but it wont happen ...

I am sorry, I am kind of confused here. We've had this discussion before, I was under the impression that you didn't like Hunter or Patterson, both being too raw and skinny. How does Hunter all of a sudden become your favourite WR ? And that he is not even worth being a 2nd rounder ? Isn't that kind of contradictory in terms ? Do you mean to say the best WR in the draft starts from the 3rd round ?
Share 49ersWebzone