LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 231 users in the forums

(RESULTS!) WZ Draft War Room Competition: Who ends up in a 49ers jersey?

See last page for results.

I love WZ competitions such as pickems, etc., and I was trying to think of a simple game we can play for draft bragging rights. Nothing as complicated as a MD-style big board or a 49ers pick-by-pick mock. Those are fun to show our preferences, but really a fool's errand in trying to be accurate.

So what about just throwing out 20 names each? Whoever gets the most names right wins. Your strategy is up to you. You could decide to use only 4-5 names on prospects in the 31-34 range, or you could spend a dozen names to make it more likely you at least get our first two picks right. Or maybe you feel more confident about pegging 49ers targets in the middle rounds. The 49ers might draft 13 players, or they might only draft 8 or 9. If you want a chance at a perfect score, you'd obviously have to include some late-round prospects in your 20 names, but maybe that's not the best strategy for maximizing your odds. UDFA do not count.

Adjustments can be made up until the night of April 24th. I'm working on my mine now and will add a first draft in the next few hours.

Please number your picks.

Tiebreaker: latest-selected correct player.
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Apr 29, 2013 at 11:29 PM ]
1. TE Travis Kelce
2. TE Vance McDonald
3. TE Gavin Escobar
4. OT David Quessenberry
5. OT Luke Marquardt
6. OT David Bakhtiari
7. OT Reid Fragel
8. DE Lawrence Okoye
9. NT Jesse Williams
10. NT Brandon Williams
11. S Bacarri Rambo
12. S Phillip Thomas
13. S Josh Evans
14. S DJ Swearinger
15. CB Robert Alford
16. CB Jamar Taylor
17. CB Johnthan Banks
18. CB Blidi Wreh-Wilson
19. WR Aaron Mellette
20. WR Tyrone Goard
[ Edited by LieutKaffee on Apr 24, 2013 at 4:19 PM ]
Thanks for running it. I ran it last year. I would edit the 1st post as people join and put their names on a leader board. Then after the draft come back and put their score in as you grade each one. Also, I would explain the tiebreaker unless you don't want one. I had it where the person with the latest round pick would win. So if 2 people tied for the most with say 3... the latest one guess right was in round 5, the other guessed someone we took in the 7th. The 7th round person would win since it's harder to pick. You don't have to have one though. Also, might want to mention that UDFA don't count on your score, they have to be drafted in rounds 1-7. I'd have people # their picks to make sure they have 20, sometimes when you edit a lot you could accidentally end up with less or more than 20. I will put up my guesses in a few minutes. Thanks again. P.S. If you want to run another competition (it takes a lot more work grading) here is an example of one I did in 2011.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/153192-2011-ultimate-nfl-draft-guru-challenge-results/search=draft,Gore_21 See the 2nd post for examples of questions. It's a lot more fun but it takes time to grade after the draft. Most points wins obviously.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
I'm gonna post mine the 24th so nobody can copy off of mine. 'Cause mine is that good.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I'm gonna post mine the 24th so nobody can copy off of mine. 'Cause mine is that good.

Considered that, but I'm sure I'll change mine a million and a half times anyway!
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Thanks for running it. I ran it last year. I would edit the 1st post as people join and put their names on a leader board. Then after the draft come back and put their score in as you grade each one. Also, I would explain the tiebreaker unless you don't want one. I had it where the person with the latest round pick would win. So if 2 people tied for the most with say 3... the latest one guess right was in round 5, the other guessed someone we took in the 7th. The 7th round person would win since it's harder to pick. You don't have to have one though. Also, might want to mention that UDFA don't count on your score, they have to be drafted in rounds 1-7. I'd have people # their picks to make sure they have 20, sometimes when you edit a lot you could accidentally end up with less or more than 20. I will put up my guesses in a few minutes. Thanks again. P.S. If you want to run another competition (it takes a lot more work grading) here is an example of one I did in 2011.

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/153192-2011-ultimate-nfl-draft-guru-challenge-results/search=draft,Gore_21 See the 2nd post for examples of questions. It's a lot more fun but it takes time to grade after the draft. Most points wins obviously.

Your 2011 one is freaking awesome. You should do it again....
  • krizay
  • Veteran
1 john jenkins
2 tank carridine
3 josh evans
4 duke williams
5 DJ hayden
6 darius slay
7 robert alford
8 tyranne mathieu
9 david bakhtiari
10 xavier nixon
11 gavin escobar
12 zach ertz
13 travis kelce
14 christine michael
15 marcus lattimore
16 robert lester
17 Denard Robinson
18 keenan allen
19 robert woods
20 Marlon Brown
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 24, 2013 at 1:13 PM ]
1. Datone Jones
2. Jesse Williams
3. Jonathan Cyprien
4. Travis Kelce
5. Gavin Escobar
6. Marcus Lattimore
7. DJ Hayden
8. David Amerson
9. Josh Evans
10. Bacarri Rambo
11. Eric Reid
12. Phillip Thomas
13. David Quessenberry
14. Luke Marquardt
15. Duke Williams
16. Quinton Patton
17. Tank Carradine
18. Shamarko Thomas
19. Johnathan Hankins
20. Johnthan Banks
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 23, 2013 at 2:53 PM ]
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

It's a ton of fun before the draft but then a lot of people after the draft are caught up in talking about who we took and grading drafts and all that. They kind of forget about the competition. I had a lot of new people join in and honestly don't think after the draft they cared or even came back on the board. You can do it if you want? If you decide to and want help with the questions and sections pm me but that's the funnest part. If you want throw a post on here and ask the mods to make this official so it stands out more.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/veterans/153107-ask-the-mods/page444/

P.S. This 20 names game has been going a long time. Not sure if you were around then but the WZ use to sponser the contest and give like a 25.00 gift card to nfl shop. They had a list of prospects with boxes next to the name where you could check them. They had it for like 3-4 years that I can remember and then stopped like 3 years back. So we just did this for fun the past few years.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:09 PM ]
1. Zach Ertz
2. Vance McDonald
3. Markus Wheaton
4. Robert Woods
5. Chris Harper
6. Marcus Lattimore
7. Star Lotulelei
8. Cornellius Carradine
9. Datone Jones
10. Nicholas Williams
11. Jamie Collins
12. Trevardo Williams
13. Nico Johnson
14. David Amerson
15. Jonathan Cyprien
16. DJ Swearinger
17. Duke Williams
18. Darius Slay
19. B.W. Webb
20. Steve Williams
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Apr 24, 2013 at 11:01 PM ]

1. QB Matt Scott
2 . S Jordan Dangerfield
3. S Shawn Williams
4. S Eric Reid
5. S Bacarri Rambo
6. DE Margus Hunt
7. DE/OLB Devin Taylor
8. DT Jesse Williams
9. DT Jonathan Hankins
10. DT Brandon Williams
11. CB Tyrann Mathieu
12. CB D.J Hayden
13. CB Logan Ryan
14. OT David Quessenberry
15. WR Tyrone Goard
16. WR Justin Hunter
17. TE Travis Kelce
18. TE Tyler Eifert
19. RB Zach Line
20. RB Le'Veon Bell

1.CB Jamar Taylor

2. CB DJ Hayden

3. CB BW Webb

4. DL Brandon Williams

5. DL John Jenkins

6. DL Joe Kruger

7. DL Malliciah Goodman

8. DE/OLB Quanterus Smith

9. S Johnathan Cyprien

10. S Baccari Rambo

11. S DJ Swearinger

12. S JJ Wilcox

13. TE Travis Kelce

14. TE Dion Sims

15. WR Quinton Patton

16. WR Mark Harrison

17. OT Vinston Painter

18. G Jeff Baca

19. QB Sean Renfree

20. RB Marcus Lattimore

[ Edited by SammyFrancisco on Apr 24, 2013 at 3:53 PM ]
1. Zac Ertz
2. Travis Kelce
3. Vance McDonald
4. Levine Toilolo
5. Tank Carradine
6. Datone Jones
7. Margus Hunt
8. Marcus Lattimore
9. David Quessenberry
10. David Bakhtiari
11. David Amerson
12. Philip Thomas
13. Jonathan Cyprien
14. Eric Reid
15. Tyrann Matthieu
16. Leon McFadden
17. JJ Wilcox
18. Brandon Williams
19. BW Webb
20. Reid Fragel
[ Edited by WRATHman44 on Apr 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

It's a ton of fun before the draft but then a lot of people after the draft are caught up in talking about who we took and grading drafts and all that. They kind of forget about the competition. I had a lot of new people join in and honestly don't think after the draft they cared or even came back on the board. You can do it if you want? If you decide to and want help with the questions and sections pm me but that's the funnest part. If you want throw a post on here and ask the mods to make this official so it stands out more.
http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/veterans/153107-ask-the-mods/page444/

P.S. This 20 names game has been going a long time. Not sure if you were around then but the WZ use to sponser the contest and give like a 25.00 gift card to nfl shop. They had a list of prospects with boxes next to the name where you could check them. They had it for like 3-4 years that I can remember and then stopped like 3 years back. So we just did this for fun the past few years.

That's awesome and I actually had no idea. I was torn about how many names to make it and pulled 20 out of my butt at the last minute.
  • GEEK
  • Veteran
1. Jesse Williams - NT/DE
2. Eric Reid - S
3. David Amerson - CB/S
4. Da'Rick Rogers - WR
5. Travis Kelce - TE
6. Vance McDonald - TE
7. Chase Thomas - OLB
8. Jamal Taylor - CB
9. D.J. Swearinger - S
10. B.W. Webb - CB