LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 401 users in the forums

Peter King isn't the end all be all of football gossip

Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
more and more i think we not going to re-sign crabs, but hey he still with us another 2 years so thats still good.

Plus you can figure at least slapping The Tag on him once.
Member Milestone: This is post number 600 for pete98146.
What are the chances of moving up to grab Cordy Patterson? Wow!
Originally posted by 9moon:
Personally, I think that Crab will bring his talent someplace else.. I really doubt that he likes being in San Francisco..

I think he loves being in SF especially with Kaep under center but I think he loves money most of all. Can't blame him but I still put him resigning at 50/50 if we put forth a competitive offer
Originally posted by pete98146:
What are the chances of moving up to grab Cordy Patterson? Wow!

I really liked him a few months ago, but I've definitely soured on him. I'd be skeptical if we traded up for him. He's definitely not a Julio Jones clone.
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
I really liked him a few months ago, but I've definitely soured on him. I'd be skeptical if we traded up for him. He's definitely not a Julio Jones clone.

This. Not sure what the fascination with Patterson is for THIS team. For another team, he might make sense, but the guy is incredibly raw, he played 2 years in community college and had one season at Tennessee. Yes, he's got a lot of natural potential, but after Jenkins last year, the 49ers would be bringing in a guy that is significantly more raw and much more of a project than Jenkins ever was. Patterson could develop into a talented wide receiver after a few seasons, or the game could simply be too fast for him and he ends up being an absolutely epic bust.

If he drops to the 49ers pick, then fine, but I certainly wouldn't be happy trading up for a raw project of a WR. For what it would cost to trade up for him, the 49ers would essentially be giving up on a top tier safety like a Reid and a Cyprien and potentially another WR like a Quinton Patton or Da'Rick Rogers for someone that would be a modest contributor at best this upcoming season.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:01 PM ]
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Godsleftsock:
Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by valrod33:
I can definitely see us getting a WR early. Only Crabtree and jenkins are signed for more than a year. Also are we gonna have money tobe able to even re-sign Crabtree?

hope we do not get one in the first round, that never works for us plus i just gotta think the d line and safety are bigger issues for us. hope the team has a under the radar guy targeted in fifth or sixth round. i do not hate crabs and i really do love what he did but off all the guys we "need" to sign, i just think he would be on the bottom on my totem pole. if jenkins lights it up this year and if we get a rookie to come in and have a nice future then that makes the decision about crabs easier in my opinion

You mean aside from Crabtree?
point taken!!! thank you
If we do take this Austin tiny dude, he better be good or else! I am just so against this guy, i think he's too small to hold up but maybe he can come in and just make people miss. I just cant see spending a 1st on a slot WR.
If we go wr early I'm thinking Hopkins from Clemson.
Originally posted by Pillbusta:
Personally, I think that Crab will bring his talent someplace else.. I really doubt that he likes being in San Francisco..

I think he loves being in SF especially with Kaep under center but I think he loves money most of all. Can't blame him but I still put him resigning at 50/50 if we put forth a competitive offer

I think Crabs will follow the money. Will he get a deal like Mike Wallace's? Doubtful. He's really progressed and has great hands, I thought he was soft but he's proved me wrong. Bottom line is that Kaep's passes will make another great receiver at a fraction of the cost.
Originally posted by ElephantHaley:
If we do take this Austin tiny dude, he better be good or else! I am just so against this guy, i think he's too small to hold up but maybe he can come in and just make people miss. I just cant see spending a 1st on a slot WR.

He didn't only play slot, he played the outside too. Can u see a 1st on a WR/KR/PR/RB?

I like Patton and we can get him after we draft a safety and DL.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Wow !! This is encouraging. Some of you might have seen my countless posts on exactly this debate and my rationale for placing priorty on the offensive side of the ball with our top picks. If Peter King plus his sources are saying the 9ers might be trading up even to get a top WR like Cordarrelle Patterson, that would be sweet plus it will affirm Baalke and Harbaugh's thinking could be in line with my own thoughts of the 9ers situation. I know is all specualtion at this point, but is nice to know the ones in the know such as other teams' GMs share similar thoughts. If is true, this could affect the draft picture quite significantly. If other teams fear the 9ers might draft a wideout that high and if they are also in the mix for a Patterson or Austin, they might even have to consider trading further up themselves. We could be talking about as high as top 10 here. Even if we don't trade up, I would be more than happy if we pick a WR at 31st. This is going to be interesting, let's see what happens.

As for the pick itself, if we did indeed move up that high for a WR, for me it will have to be Cordarelle Patterson as opposed to Tavon Austin. I am going with a legit deep threat receiver and by the way who can play kick return just as explosively as Austin as well. I just can't go with Austin's small size, well that's just me.
Originally posted by tohara3:
If we go wr early I'm thinking Hopkins from Clemson.

i bet you're right.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Pillbusta:

Crab will want to stay if he can, just like Dashon. The only issue as always is money. He is supposed to get "paid" with his next pay cheque. Based on the current going rate for a quality receiver and projecting that 2 years ahead, I would say he would be asking for around $10 mil give or take.
Share 49ersWebzone