There are 150 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I have a serious "Man Crush" on Marqise Lee

Originally posted by TheFunkyChicken:
It seems like even if we stay at 30 we should still end up with Lee, Evans or Benjamin being available. I know Benjamin is the more raw of the 3, but honestly, any of them would make me very happy.

How do you guys all rank the potential round 1 WRs?

What??? Evans will not make it anywhere near 30.

1. Watkins

2. Evans

3. Beckham Jr

4. Cooks

5. Lee

6. Benjamin

7. Moncrief

I don't think Moncrief will go in the first round and Benjamin may not but I also don't think they will make it to 56. Benjamin will probably be there at 30 and Lee may be there as well if teams are scared off by his injuries.
Originally posted by swayze:
He looks great!

But, don't USC receivers have kind of a s**tty track record of transitioning to the NFL? At least recently. Dwayne Jarrett, Mike Williams come to mind.

I blame Pete Carroll

Robert Woods might buck that trend this coming season.
Please NO Marquis Lee. I watched him play on Saturdays, he was not a good teammate and took 75% of the plays off, probably when he was not the primary target. He also got frustrated a lot. Reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson

No Thanks
I remember thinking he was good when watching him. But after watching his highlights, there is something about him that reminds me of Jerry. Maybe catching the ball on short/intermediate routes and taking it to the house. Still scared of USC WR's though.
Originally posted by Hoovtrain:
I remember thinking he was good when watching him. But after watching his highlights, there is something about him that reminds me of Jerry. Maybe catching the ball on short/intermediate routes and taking it to the house. Still scared of USC WR's though.

Agree. USC WRs don't have the greatest track record, but Lee's talent really pops off screen. He has elite movement skills. Plus he has the long arms that Baalke has a fetish for.

He would be an absolute steal IMO if he drops to #30.
Originally posted by SofaKing:
Agree. USC WRs don't have the greatest track record, but Lee's talent really pops off screen. He has elite movement skills. Plus he has the long arms that Baalke has a fetish for.

31 3/4 inch arms aren't really very long for a wide receiver. They're not tiny, but they're not long.

Odell Beckham Jr's arms are 32 3/4, and Davante Adams' arms are 32 5/8. Sammy Wakins' arms are 32 inches even.

In fact, the only receivers who have shorter arms than he does are receivers who are like 5th round pick & later, short guys likr Cooks & Ellington or Jarvis Landry, who's the same height as Lee.
Originally posted by VPofCarnage:
31 3/4 inch arms aren't really very long for a wide receiver. They're not tiny, but they're not long.

Odell Beckham Jr's arms are 32 3/4, and Davante Adams' arms are 32 5/8. Sammy Wakins' arms are 32 inches even.

In fact, the only receivers who have shorter arms than he does are receivers who are like 5th round pick & later, short guys likr Cooks & Ellington or Jarvis Landry, who's the same height as Lee.

Thanks for the info. I just read a scouting report that said he very long arms. Didn't actually see the measurements. I guess he has good arm length for his size. Bechkam is shorter and has longer arms.

Regardless, Lee's tape is awesome for the most part. Inconsistent 2013, but so was the entire Trojan team and he was injured. I'm still drooling at the thought of him falling to #30. I'm thinking Carolina wouldn't allow that to happen. They're picking before us and have a huge void at WR.
[ Edited by SofaKing on Apr 5, 2014 at 11:27 PM ]
Marqise Lee is officially my draft crush. http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2014mlee.php

I wouldn't be surprised if we trade up 5-10 spots to secure Lee in the first round.
I love what he can do with the ball in his hands, but I am not a fan of any wide receiver that does not utilize his hands to catch the ball. He really has a habit of letting the ball get deep and trying to catch it with his body. Deal breaker for me and not the type of receiver you want catching a pass from kap.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 26, 2014 at 4:56 PM ]
Originally posted by sf_nicoya:
I love what he can do with the ball in his hands, but I am not a fan of any wide receiver that does not utilize his hands to catch the ball. He really has a habit of letting the ball get deep and trying to catch it with his body. Deal breaker for me and not the type of receiver you want catching a pass from kap.

Lee is an enigma to me. More confused about him than just about any player in the draft. I believe that he has the feet of a Hall of Famer. Don't care what his 40 time is. If you focus just on his ability to explode away from defenders and make them miss you have to conclude that he is exactly what the 49ers need to compliment Crabtree and Boldin and to give Kaep the the big time play-maker that the 49ers desperately need. Swear to Buddha his ability after the catch reminds me of a great 49er receiver from long ago who's name I won't mention as I would be ridiculed for making the comparison. I will just say that his ability to evade defenders and explode to pay-dirt is very very good.

Then you watch his highlight video's and you see him body catching the ball and double catching and it has to give you pause. Toss in the injuries and the USC WR bust factor and I start to lean back towards Cooks or OBJ who are both great prospects themselves.

My worst nightmare is that the 49ers pass on him, assuming he's available, and that the team that drafts two slots after the 49ers picks him and he grows out of the bad pass catching tendencies and he bedevils us twice a year for many long years to come.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Please NO Marquis Lee. I watched him play on Saturdays, he was not a good teammate and took 75% of the plays off, probably when he was not the primary target. He also got frustrated a lot. Reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson

No Thanks

I watched him play of Saturdays too, and you are full of s**t. If Lee drops to us, we'll have a serious stud on our hands.
Originally posted by 9erred:
Please NO Marquis Lee. I watched him play on Saturdays, he was not a good teammate and took 75% of the plays off, probably when he was not the primary target. He also got frustrated a lot. Reminds me of Keyshawn Johnson

No Thanks

Having watched how Evans is....I think Lee is by far the more well rounded receiver. He has very good hands, good route runner, and is excellent after the catch. And he's faster than either of our starters too,
[ Edited by kray28 on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:43 PM ]
You do better to have a man crush on Richard Simmons.....
Originally posted by kray28:
Having watched how Evans is....I think Lee is by far the more well rounded receiver. He has very good hands, good route runner, and is excellent after the catch. And he's faster than either of our starters too,

When comparing their hands Evans high points the ball while Lee traps it against his body. He doesn't naturally look to catch the ball with his hands. Marqise Lee had one of the highest drop percentages of all the top prospects with 12.31% of his passes dropped while Evans had the second lowest at 4.29%.

Once the ball is in his hands he is ridiculous, but when you have a qb like Kap who throws lasers you dont want a wide receiver who doesn't utilize their hands to catch away from their body.
[ Edited by sf_nicoya on Apr 26, 2014 at 8:00 PM ]
Originally posted by kray28:
I watched him play of Saturdays too, and you are full of s**t. If Lee drops to us, we'll have a serious stud on our hands.

This. Lee is a baller. He'd be the steal of the draft at #30.