LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

I have a serious "Man Crush" on Marqise Lee

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
No thank you to USC WR's.
Austin was a senior in a spread offense...Lee was a sophomore in 2012 in a more traditional pro-style offense. Can't compare the two at that point...when Lee completes his senior season, then it's a legit comparison.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Austin was a senior in a spread offense...Lee was a sophomore in 2012 in a more traditional pro-style offense. Can't compare the two at that point...when Lee completes his senior season, then it's a legit comparison.

Austin appears to be faster, quicker, and more explosive. Age, experience, and offensive system shouldn't affect those attributes much.
I want the Niners to draft this kid so badly. We haven't had a WR who is a threat to run right past the defense and catch a long pass at any moment in so long. I'm in the camp that believes that you beat Seattle's corners with speed, not size. Look no further than what Ty Hilton did to Seattle's secondary.

This kid also just loves to play the game of football. He plays with so much joy and enthusiasm and I love to see that in a player. Marqise Lee is going to be a star in the NFL and I hope the Niners can be the one to draft him.
i'm not sold on this guy as being an NFL star. i have a weird feeling he's gonna have injury concerns in the pros. give me Sammy Watkins over Lee any day.
I would take him in a heartbeat in the first if he fell to the Niners.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Austin appears to be faster, quicker, and more explosive. Age, experience, and offensive system shouldn't affect those attributes much.

They have an enormous impact actually, more than people can understand. They actually commented on this last night in the Rams vs. Seattle game. They said after speaking to Tavon Austin, he explained that the massive difference between his simplistic WVU system and the Rams pro offense has caused him a lot of trouble early on. He has had a rough time adjusting and reportedly said it has been "like hearing Spanish in the huddle" this season. Right now, he's still trying to learn where he needs to line up.

Experience and the system can negate your abilities sometimes, and Tavon Austin is a prime example.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I want the Niners to draft this kid so badly. We haven't had a WR who is a threat to run right past the defense and catch a long pass at any moment in so long. I'm in the camp that believes that you beat Seattle's corners with speed, not size. Look no further than what Ty Hilton did to Seattle's secondary.

This kid also just loves to play the game of football. He plays with so much joy and enthusiasm and I love to see that in a player. Marqise Lee is going to be a star in the NFL and I hope the Niners can be the one to draft him.

I keep trying to reiterate this point as well. Over and over you see that if you're quick enough to get by them, you make plays on the Seattle secondary. The quicker players also have been the ones drawing the penalties on them too. For the big guys, the refs have been letting them play and/or assuming it's just a physical battle/tangle-up between the two players. Patton was one of the only receivers getting open against Seattle and could be one of the players they have problems with when healthy.
Originally posted by LaMichaelJeff:
i'm not sold on this guy as being an NFL star. i have a weird feeling he's gonna have injury concerns in the pros. give me Sammy Watkins over Lee any day.
I agree that Watkins is the better prospect, but he's probably going top 10 while Marqise Lee is more likely to go top 20 or so which makes it much more feasible to trade up to.

This is the first year he's missed any games to injury in 3 years. I don't see anything in his profile that makes him more likely to get injured than the average WR.
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I agree that Watkins is the better prospect, but he's probably going top 10 while Marqise Lee is more likely to go top 20 or so which makes it much more feasible to trade up to.

This is the first year he's missed any games to injury in 3 years. I don't see anything in his profile that makes him more likely to get injured than the average WR.

that's good to know.

yep im on that watkins bandwagon although i wouldnt be mad with lee
that being said i doubt we get either unless we make a falcons type trade
We have enough picks to trade up and get whoever we want more than once
Rather have Watkins but Lee is definitely 2nd on my list.
  • Geeked
  • Veteran
Trojan Alum and big time fan. I like to think I'm partial regarding the players.

Lee is playing the wrong position. He's a corner / nickle back. His hands are inconsistent. For every big play he has 10 not so great ones (drops, dancing for negative yards....)

Lee needs to stay another year but he also needs to be on the defensive side of the ball.

If the Trojans end up getting Dyruter, I see this happening immediately.

I kinda see a lot of Patrick Peterson in Lee.
Share 49ersWebzone