There are 247 users in the forums

For all the folks who want to trade up, read Gil Brandts article

This draft is flat in talent, but has depth. Lots of late round folks who can work out. His top 100 is off of game tape, some webzone favorits have plummeted

Jesse Williams- Datone Jones, Keenan Allen, Zach Ertz, all below top 35 status.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159226/article/hot-100-luke-joeckel-ezekiel-ansah-top-toughtocall-draft-class

My point is the Niners are in the sweet spot at pick 31 and 34. If anything trade up with lower picks to get as many of the above players as possible.
He has star lotulelie at 22
I don't see a problem with trading up depending on who slides N what tha need is ... I'm thinking vaccaro maybe worth a trade up if he's there after #16 ...a trade up for X.Rhodes is a no brainer if he makes it past tha top 15 picks...
  • KID9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Yeah, After forgetting to put him in his mock draft completely in his previous one. The game has passed him by, the only thing he is good for is he has a lot of contacts.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
I just dont see why we would trade up in the1st. it just makes no sense. Trading some 4th-7th roud picks to move back into the 3rd round. Or even top of 4th after reassessing what's left after day 2. But to move up in the 1st and give up the quality guys that we should have available with our 1st 5 picks. I just dont see the need.

Outside of maybe Milner and possibly rhodes. I dont see anyone who we could get that would be head and shoulders above what we'd have the ability todraft at our spots. And the price to pay to get either of them doesnt seem worth it to me.

He is going off of game tape. Star Lotulelie took a year off of football because he lost passion for the game. Also watching game tape he can be dominate for one game or series of plays then take another game off and just punch the time clock. This inconsistent motor is not worthy of a top 15 pick. If people would read how he evaluates off actual play and not the underwear olympics, they would understand Lotulelie at 22.
I have to agree with his take. You have just as much chance getting the same caliber starter at 50 as you are in the top 20. This draft has no superstars like last years draft, but I don't remember a draft being so deep
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erred:

He is going off of game tape. Star Lotulelie took a year off of football because he lost passion for the game. Also watching game tape he can be dominate for one game or series of plays then take another game off and just punch the time clock. This inconsistent motor is not worthy of a top 15 pick. If people would read how he evaluates off actual play and not the underwear olympics, they would understand Lotulelie at 22.

In the article Brandt does not mention game tape. He says,

"Before we delve into my list of the 100 best prospects, remember that I graded these guys according to tried-and-true benchmarks."

I do not think "tried and true benchmarks" = game tape. These methods would surely includes game tape.

I know that when he talked about Star he said, "I'm just grading these players based on what I've seen."

But he also talks various players' work habits and work habits are not on game tape. He also quotes what coaches have said about a player.
[ Edited by buck on Apr 15, 2013 at 8:01 AM ]
I'd like us to trade up for Tank.
Originally posted by 9erred:

He didnt even have him included in his last mock..... I agree ith Kid9r. There is no way in Hell lotulelei should be ranked 22 on anyones board. The game has left him behind.

They have enough high picks to plug in good players. I think many teams will be looking to move down draft day. The Niners can call the shots.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Well, you are assuming Gil Brandt is right. But, if indeed his rankings are right, then yes I agree we don't need to trade up.
I definitely respect Brandt, but putting Datone Jones at the end of the 3rd is slightly embarrassing for him.
I disagree with a lot of this list.... but I do think that almost all of the guys he has as top 25 picks, should actually be top 25 picks. This means that at picks 31 and 34, we will probably be able to get anybody that we really want.
Sheldon Richardson might be a trade up candidate if he makes it into the mid teens
Share 49ersWebzone