LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

JbNiner's Draft of Destruction REVISED

I'm down with it. I really think people are overstating our needs on defense. Glenn Dorsey is depth on the defensive line that we didn't have last year. If the draft falls like this we're still walking away with 2 defensive starters. We could still potentially land Josh Cyprien and Jessie Williams in the 2nd.
I have revised the first version of this mock to make the Patterson trade a little less expensive, and to get us some picks for next year.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
I'm down with it. I really think people are overstating our needs on defense. Glenn Dorsey is depth on the defensive line that we didn't have last year. If the draft falls like this we're still walking away with 2 defensive starters. We could still potentially land Josh Cyprien and Jessie Williams in the 2nd.

Dorsey replaces either Sopoaga (starter) or RJF (depth last year), and then a rookie counted on at NT? Better be damn good...and consistent...and mature! Agree with you that J Williams would be my preference because he is versatile and seems to have fewer negatives attributed than some of the other DL.
This an excellent strategy, that I really hope the niners explore. If there were ever a year to draft for quality, not quantity this is definitely the year. We have a deep roster with a few needs at starting positions. These are players that can make an impact immediately or within two years. You'd hope Cyprien could come in and start over Dahl, and Patterson would likely rocket our receiving core to an elite status, not to mention when boldin moves on or retires he'd likely be polished enough to be our #2 or compete with Crabtree. I really like the idea of Sims complimenting Davis and being a big bodied guy, he could be a big end zone target! You explore some players that can be retained for depth and/developed and we save picks for next year. What would be the point in drafting a bunch of mid grade players this go around? Unless there was someone we were dead sure one being a superstar, we'd be hoping someone would hit. We don't have the money or room to sign a bunch of picks. We go in, get the players we WANT and save some for next year. Excellent mock, jbniner
I like the players you got, but that's a ton to give up to get 'em. I'd actually rather see Baalke trade into the 2nd and 3rd rds...to get virtually all his players. If he can end up with 7-8 guys in the first 3 rds, then he'd be in great position to get high quality players with a realistic shot of making the roster. Those who didn't could beef up the PS and/or build up picks in next year's draft.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
There is only 1 thing that interests me and that is Cordarrelle Patterson, but you won't get him at 20th. A lot of analysts have him go between 14th-17th.
Share 49ersWebzone