There are 77 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sarppen Mock 2.0...FINAL...Used all picks/no trades

Unlike most zoners I think and believe the Niners should use all their picks this year. Its a solid draft with great depth and the Niners can really set themselves up really nice for the future. Here is my final mock...its a dream scenario for me...and most players could be there at our picks.

1 - Datone Jones DE UCLA - Yes, its everyone's pick but he is crazy good and could fall to us. Just makes to much sense not to choose him here.

2a - Eric Reid S LSU - Goldson who? And for a fraction of the price. He is my favorite player at the postion...whether its him or another S one of these top two picks is addressing the safety need.

2b - Vance McDonald - Again Delanie who? Niners address their TE need and do it with a similar guy to Delanie. Another option could be Kelce..prefer McDonald

3a - Brian Schwenke C California - With this guy our line will be the best in the league for the next 6 years...plus gets to sit one year and learn from Goodwin...its a transition year and the Niners can use this draft to prepare for the future.

4a - Marcus Lattimore RB South Carolina - Again like the Schwenke pick, its about looking to 2014 and beyond. If Marcus is there on the board with all our picks we can't pass him up. I think he goes here or possibly late 3rd (might trade up then?)

4b - Marquess Wilson WR Washington State - One of my favorite WR's in the draft. If you take out the off field issue (I blame Mike Leach) his talent is undeniable

5 - Earl Wolff S North Carolina State - Had a great East/West Shrine game and looked the part. With Whitner leaving after 2013 Niners can address the need. Reid, Wolff could patrol our backfield for years.

6a - Luke Marquardt OT Azusa Pacific - Small school project that is pure athleticism and played TE. Could be a steal and with our line he can develop into a starting OT in the future. If he doesn't beat out others can be placed on the practice squad.

6b - Caleb Stugis K Florida - Yes, I know we have Dawson but we can stash this kid on the practice squad. Again its about the future and the luxury the Niners have this year.

7a - Colin Klein QB Kansas State - Colt is the backup and I love him. But I would love this see Jim coach this kid up. Fits our offense perfectly and could beat out Tolzien for QB3. For a 7th rounder well worth the pick.

7b - Travis Long OLB Washington State - A steal pick in the 7th. Great pass rusher and add depth to our OLB. Could be a starter down the road. One of my fav picks

7c - Micah Hyde CB Iowa - Another solid perforner in the East/West game. Would be great depth for Niners. With Rodgers and our new Nandi signing "old" these new CBs' can add competition to our corps. Possible practice squad.

10 of the 13 picks I see making the roster, only exceptions would be Marquardt, Stugis and Hyde (practice squad). So in my opinion Niners can definitely use all their selections.
I understand your thinking of using all the picks. But we don't have room for that many players. I say we make around 6 picks. If the future is what your worried about, it's possible that we trade picks for picks next year.

As far as your mock, I like the first 4 picks. I'm not on board for drafting another RB in Lattimore. I understand the value, but we have two RBs capable of taking over for Gore.
DT?
No major complaints, if this turned out to be our draft. The first 2 picks make it all fine by me.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
DT?

I thought about it...but in the later rounds I couldn't justify using a pick...found better players at other positions...plus I read somewhere that Harbaugh and Co. Pan on using Dorsey at the NT position...
Originally posted by niners9:
I understand your thinking of using all the picks. But we don't have room for that many players. I say we make around 6 picks. If the future is what your worried about, it's possible that we trade picks for picks next year.

As far as your mock, I like the first 4 picks. I'm not on board for drafting another RB in Lattimore. I understand the value, but we have two RBs capable of taking over for Gore.

Thanks for the comment...I agree with you that Hunter and James are great...just not sure they will be asked to carry the load after Gore leaves...Lattimore could be out next Gore...and like Gore (drafted in the 3rd round due to injury history) Lattimore could be the a steal...with all our picks we can't pass this up if he is there...
[ Edited by sarppen on Apr 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM ]
Originally posted by sarppen:
I thought about it...but in the later rounds I couldn't justify using a pick...found better players at other positions...plus I read somewhere that Harbaugh and Co. Pan on using Dorsey at the NT position...

Lost Sopoaga and RFJ...they need at least one replacement even with Dorsey. If that replacment comes from the practice squad so be it, but I do not see a player of that quality already on the team...Ian Williams? Maybe. Lamar Divens or Jerod-Eddie? Not likely.
The challenge with using all those picks is that they wouldn't be able to hold onto all of them. If they can't make the final roster, they would get stashed on the practice squad and would be exposed to every other team willing to move them up to their 53. So we could essentially be drafting players for other teams. That is why people are advocating either using picks to move up or swap for picks next year, when there will be another wave of free agents.
Originally posted by ninergold:
The challenge with using all those picks is that they wouldn't be able to hold onto all of them. If they can't make the final roster, they would get stashed on the practice squad and would be exposed to every other team willing to move them up to their 53. So we could essentially be drafting players for other teams. That is why people are advocating either using picks to move up or swap for picks next year, when there will be another wave of free agents.

The plus side is this.. the new players compete and push the lower depth players we currently have. So we are essentially making sure that our depth gets upgraded one way or another. And if one were truly optimistic, maybe a late day pick can be developed into an actual quality starter. It happens.
I don't think we have the CAP to use all of our picks. Plus I like that we have flexibility to move to get guys we are targeting. I would alsoeexpect we will try to pick up picks for next year. Getting the players you want and preparing for the future is what the good teams do. I don't think we draft more then 7-8 players.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The plus side is this.. the new players compete and push the lower depth players we currently have. So we are essentially making sure that our depth gets upgraded one way or another. And if one were truly optimistic, maybe a late day pick can be developed into an actual quality starter. It happens.

That's my thinking...I know 13 players will not make it at starters...probably only our rookie Safety will start from day one...but our backups can without a doubt be upgraded...but of course I'm about the worse there is at this guessing game called the NFL draft...lol
I'm all about Datone Jones if he lasts that long. Cyprien is gonna be better than Reid, though. Nice picks throughout.
Love it! Love the Marquess Wilson pick. He's a major sleeper.