LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 174 users in the forums

ATG's Twilight Zone Mock

OH yeah and wheaton is highly underrated imo. He's very smooth. Reminds me a little bit of Chad Ochocinco.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 14, 2013 at 12:38 PM ]
Great Mock!!

I especially like the fact that you opted for game changers with the first two picks instead of succumbing to the "have to get a FS" crowd. IMO in a safety deep draft, the Niners can EASILY address that spot in the late second or later and have an equal chance of scoring success (Vaccaro will be gone at #31 and , honestly, I'd be happy if he were so that the Niners could draft a real IMPACT guy who plays, or sees, the ball on almost every play.

I somehow doubt that Eifert will be there at #34, but if he were, watch out . . .

Really like the Wheaton pick where you've got him.

I also like how you've named a group of guys who you'd like later. Actually picking one at those spots is beyond speculation.

I'd have done some things differently, but this is your mock and works really well.
Originally posted by teeohh:
I think the possibility of tarradine is growing on me

But I'm not really cool with drafting a tight end before we draft a safety, I just really want a safety with the first two picks

It might have been Mike Miller who said that Eifert might have maxed out his talent, what do you think about that?

DE, Safety, and TE are our 3 biggest needs imo. Does it really matter the order we pick them in with our first 3 picks as long as they are the right men for the job?

I haven't watched him closely enough to be able to speak on the Eifert thing, but I would find it hard to believe that any college guy (assuming average age) would be "maxed out" before having played a game in the NFL and been around an NFL coaching staff.
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:

Is this a "f**k yes" or a "f**k no?"
As a Noles fan, I love Tank Carradine, but I have a hard time seeing him as 3-4 DE. Dude's a pure edge rusher. As I'm thinking back on the season, I feel like every single one of his sacks came on a speed move to the outside. He has a tremendous ability to drop the shoulder and turn the corner. Very athletic and smooth for his size.

That said, I wouldn't be upset at all if we drafted him. Love the other selections as well, but I think a few are a little too optimistic. Doubt Eifert falls to #34.
Fan of all of your picks except for Wheaton. Too early for a WR this year, especially one similar to Jenkins.
My concern is that the one position that we need a plug and play starter is FS and converting a 3rd round CB for a Super Bowl run makes me nervous.

2nd round but point taken. I think any rookie FS we take is going to have growing pains and we're just going to have to live with it. Don't think there are any "plug and play" safeties that will be available to us anyways. Comes with the territory. But he did play a lot of zone and off-man in college and not as much man-to-man/bump and run so the transition to safety wouldn't be as hard for him as someone who's used to playing that type of coverage.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Nice mock.

Agree
this was a fun read!
Great mock. Like some have said, you went with impact players with the first two picks and Tank along with Trevardo gives us pass rushers off the bench. Getting a small/fast slot corner with agility was another must.

Only slight change I would make is to see if we could swing a Duke Williams or a Josh Evans as a safety in the 3rd or 4th round(trading out of the second) and using the extra pick we would get to trade for another 2014 pick.

At the very least, this is the most entertaining mock draft I've read in terms of writing style.

• teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
Originally posted by teeohh:
I think the possibility of tarradine is growing on me

But I'm not really cool with drafting a tight end before we draft a safety, I just really want a safety with the first two picks

It might have been Mike Miller who said that Eifert might have maxed out his talent, what do you think about that?

DE, Safety, and TE are our 3 biggest needs imo. Does it really matter the order we pick them in with our first 3 picks as long as they are the right men for the job?

I haven't watched him closely enough to be able to speak on the Eifert thing, but I would find it hard to believe that any college guy (assuming average age) would be "maxed out" before having played a game in the NFL and been around an NFL coaching staff.

Amerson is just lower on my list of doots that I want to be our starting free safety. We take a TE with 34 we're going to miss on 2 or 3 safeties if they don't trade up
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
My concern is that the one position that we need a plug and play starter is FS and converting a 3rd round CB for a Super Bowl run makes me nervous.

2nd round but point taken. I think any rookie FS we take is going to have growing pains and we're just going to have to live with it. Don't think there are any "plug and play" safeties that will be available to us anyways. Comes with the territory. But he did play a lot of zone and off-man in college and not as much man-to-man/bump and run so the transition to safety wouldn't be as hard for him as someone who's used to playing that type of coverage.

That doesn't make me feel any better!!!!

I am confident the FO will get the best player for the team, I think there are guys in each round that could end up making an impact at safety. Still, would like to see one taken pretty high.
How bout signing Woodson (or another vet) for a minimum guarantee, with incentives. Restructure a couple of vets so we can sign Woodson and a ton of draft choices, then draft a guy who can work into the lineup as Woodson needs rest. Doubt any of the rookies will be effective replacements for Goldson next year.
Share 49ersWebzone