LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 276 users in the forums

Underrated need: slot corner

The 49ers have been one of the easiest teams to exploit via the slot for the last two years, and Carlos Rogers has been teetering on the brink of mediocrity despite his impressive 2011 interception total. Assuming Nmamdi Asomugha makes the team, I think you have a good competition between him, Brown, and Culliver for the two starting spots on the outside. The loser of that battle will still see action in nickel and dime.

What we need is someone to push Rogers for that slot position and possibly win the job. Especially with Percy Harvin coming to town and Welker and Amendola on our biggest AFC rivals. Looking at MadDog's boards, it seems the 2nd round is a sweet spot for good cover corners who can play slot right away.

DJ Hayden, Robert Alford, BW Webb, or Leon McFadden. Whether at #34, #61, or via trade, I really think we should draft one of these guys.
I would love to have either B.W. Webb or Leon McFadden. Webb with our first 3rd or McFadden with our second 3rd would be great.
[ Edited by AllTimeGreat on Apr 13, 2013 at 3:20 PM ]
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Tyrann Mathieu is also a good option if his head is on straight. I'd be more confident with him covering the slot because he is going to be similar to Winfield in his run support, IMO. That could really help when teams line up three wide and run the ball at our nickel defense. Plus, if you're worried about Percy Harvin, then you should remember that in addition to being a quick twitch player he is also very physical... not an easy guy to bring down.

Mathieu a good punt returner, too.

Such a shame he screwed up so bad in college. Maybe the team could buy one of those child harness leash things and then tie him to Alex Boone. I can't think of a better person to help influence the kid.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Tyrann Mathieu is also a good option if his head is on straight. I'd be more confident with him covering the slot because he is going to be similar to Winfield in his run support, IMO. That could really help when teams line up three wide and run the ball at our nickel defense. Plus, if you're worried about Percy Harvin, then you should remember that in addition to being a quick twitch player he is also very physical... not an easy guy to bring down.

Mathieu a good punt returner, too.

Such a shame he screwed up so bad in college. Maybe the team could buy one of those child harness leash things and then tie him to Alex Boone. I can't think of a better person to help influence the kid.

Mathieu is intriguing for the reasons you listed, and also because he can be had cheaper (later) than the guys I listed.

But can he cover receivers as well as the higher-rated prospects? That's the main weakness we need to address.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Mathieu is intriguing for the reasons you listed, and also because he can be had cheaper (later) than the guys I listed.

But can he cover receivers as well as the higher-rated prospects? That's the main weakness we need to address.

I dunno.... It's a crap shoot.

I trust Donatell will give his input and if he likes a prospect, will coach them well.
I think if we can get another big corner to play outside, we can use Brown in the slot more. If he excels in that role, no need to keep Rogers next season
Originally posted by NTeply49:
I think if we can get another big corner to play outside, we can use Brown in the slot more. If he excels in that role, no need to keep Rogers next season

My thoughts exactly
I know he's small, but what about a guy like Nickell Robey?

[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:36 PM ]
If he checks out medically I'd say DJ Hayden should be targeted. If not, B.W. Webb would be my choice.
Originally posted by blm7754:
If he checks out medically I'd say DJ Hayden should be targeted. If not, B.W. Webb would be my choice.

Hayden and Alford are both guys I see going well before #61 based on MD and other recent mocks. That's why I'm currently rooting for us to "reach" for one at 34 barring trade. Webb seems like a solid option at #61 though.

Mathieu in the 3rd will fix that
Originally posted by kronik:
Mathieu in the 3rd will fix that

I would be a fan of that if we address other needs in the first two rounds and are unable to get one of the better prospects.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Originally posted by blm7754:

Hayden and Alford are both guys I see going well before #61 based on MD and other recent mocks. That's why I'm currently rooting for us to "reach" for one at 34 barring trade. Webb seems like a solid option at #61 though.

I'm REALLY hoping we trade up from 74 to get a pick in the middle of the 2nd for just this reason. There are too many guys at every position of need for us that are projected to go in that range.
I've been a big fan of BW Webb for awhile now, and he could even challenge for the punt return duties too. Will Davis is another guy who should be an excellent nickel corner; he's got great feet, excellent change of direction and fluid hips which help with his short area quickness. He doesn't have great deep speed though so he's vulnerable on the outside, but he seems like a perfect fit inside.
Share 49ersWebzone