There are 134 users in the forums

Who are the top 5 guys I should know about at each position of need going into the draft?

So I've looked at a few of the safties, whether it be Elam, Cyprien, or Vacarro. But who else should I know about? The players we might pick at our spots? Safties? CB's? DL/DE? These I would believe are the top 3 positions of need, except maybe the TE out of Stanford, but I doubt we go that route with our first.

CB

Safety

Defensive End
Only including guys that we could realistically get.

CB: Desmond Trufant, Jonathan Banks, Jordan Poyer, and B.W. Webb (a personal favorite pick)

Safety: Eric Reid, Jonathan Cyprien, DJ Swearinger, Bacarri Rambo, David Amerson

DE: Datone Jones, Sheldon Richardson (possible trade-up), Tank Carradine, Alex Okafor

I would also add the following positions of need:

WR: DeAndre Hopkins, Quinton Patton, DaRick Rogers, Aaron Dobson

TE: Zach Ertz, Travis Kelce, Gavin Escobar

NT: Jesse Williams, Brandon Williams, Sly Williams
Originally posted by blm7754:
Only including guys that we could realistically get.

CB: Desmond Trufant, Jonathan Banks, Jordan Poyer, and B.W. Webb (a personal favorite pick)

Definitely need to add DJ Hayden and Jamar Taylor to the CBs list
Maiocco put up an article of all the guys we have visited with. Odds are we will end up getting at least one guy from the list. Wouldn't hurt to brush up on them guys.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-2013-pre-draft-tracker

Guys who visited that we drafted:
2012: Jenkins, Fleming, Slowey
2011: Kap, Hunter, Hastings (UDFA though)
2010: Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati for sure... (maybe others)

If I had to narrow it down a few guys I think we like or could fit us: Quinton Patton, Travis Kelce, Duke Williams, Jonathan Cyprien and Gavin Escobar (would have to work on blocking though). Unlikely but if we trade up and sell the farm: Sheldon Richardson, Tavon Austin, Xavier Rhodes could be options. Other guys if we stay put that I don't necessarily want but could be options: Ertz, Jessie Williams, Eric Reid, Johnthan Banks, Jamar Taylor, etc

Also, when we hold our local pro day on the 17 keep an eye out for a list because the past few years 3-4 players got signed by us as UDFA's.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM ]
This isn't necessarily my top overall but top picks for us in certain places
CB: Darius Slay, Robert Alford, David Amerson, and in later rounds keep an eye on Terry Hawthorne and Rashaan Melvin
FS: Kenny Vacarro, Eric Reid, Jonathan Cyprien, Bacarri Rambo, and watch out for Duke Williams or T.J. McDonald in the later rounds
TE: Vance McDonald, Travis Kelce, Zach Ertz, Tyler Eifert, Chris Gragg, and Gavin Escobar
WR: (2nd round or later) Aaron Dobson, Markus Wheaton, De'Andre Hopkins, Quinton Patton, Justin Hunter, and Robert Woods
3-4 DE: Datone Jones, Star Lotulelei, Sheldon Richardson, and in the later rounds keep an eye on William Gholston and Malicah Goodmen
NT: Jonathan Jenkins, Brandon Williams, Jesse Williams, Jonathan Hankins, and keep an eye out for Josh Boyd or Kwame Geathers in later rounds
OLB: Jamie Collins, Trevardo Williams, Brandon Jenkins, Jarvis Jones and Sio Moore
RB: Le'Veon Bell, Marcus Lattimore, Knile Davis, Eddie Lacy, and Stephan Taylor
OL: Travis Frederick, David Quessenberry, Jeff Baca all offer quality depth and might be worth keeping an eye on even OL isn't a huge need
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 13, 2013 at 6:05 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone