LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 258 users in the forums

The more I look at the draft, the more trading down out of the 1st seems to make sense.

Well you know it's an option. If we can't get a top safety at 31 or a top DL then i would like to trade down. Depending on how the QBs come off the board their maybe teams wanting to move up to get one. Trade 31 for a 2nd this year and a 2nd next year?
This really depends on how the staff views our defensive line depth issues. I really don't believe there is a safety worth a first rounder except vacarro.

Depending on the answer to that question trading back makes total sense.

In my last mock I have us trading out of the first for a first rounder next year and a third thus year (to be combined with another one of our thirds this year to trade back into the second).
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
We did it in 2009 with Carolina . . . which we parlayed into Mike Iupati in 2010

Also did it when we gave the colts our 2007 2nd rounder (they took tony ugoh) in exchange for their 2008 1st rounder. We didn't have a 2008 1st rounder since we gave it to the pats to trade up to 28 in 07 for staley. Of course you have to hit with it... we took balmer.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Have to see how the board unfolds, but I don't suspect there would be reason to trade back from 31. Likely will be a very good prospect that falls to us there. I agree that the 2nd round is juicy, but so should be the late 1st rd. So land ad many picks as we can get between 31 and 75... or 31 and 50. We can easily get 3 top-notch prospects in the top 50 range. The remaining picks are added to compete for upgraded depth... something like that.

I think there's so many quality prospects that will be around in the 2nd/3rd that trading down out of the late 1st doesn't hurt you at all. Unless there's a particular player there that they are really crazy about, they'll have a considerable amount of talent to choose from, even if they trade down a bit.
Originally posted by fryet:
I don't see any reason for trading out of the 1st for more picks in the 2nd through 4th. If we trade out of the first, I would expect it to be for future year picks. We already have 5 in the top 3 for this draft, and 13 overall. Getting even more picks this year won't help us.

Sure it would. This team is coming off a Superbowl appearance and they have multiple needs all across the board. Picks next year are nice, but picks next year won't help you win games in 2013 or further develop as players to help you win in 2014.

Just looking at the needs this team could use depth at

DE
NT
FS
SS
WR
TE
OLB
OT

If you can knock out say 6 or 7 of those in the first 4 rounds, why not trade down?
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We have 13 picks. We should deal up for some higher ones. No way 13 guys make a team this good. It's useless to have that many. We don't need to trade back down for more. Deal up for less picks but better ones.

The problem is you have to consider how many of those are late picks and how many of those are comp picks that can't be traded. The idea of 13 picks is a bit iffy when you actually happen to have 3 7th rounders.

The key to me is having a bunch of picks early, loading the team up with quality prospects, trading away some of the later picks and then going for sleepers with the later comp picks.
Originally posted by nickbradley:
I would be. Nobody really does that.

This. Moving a 1st rounder or a near 1st rounder into what may turn out to be a late 1st rounder next year for all anyone knows doesn't make a lot of sense.
We did it in 2009 with Carolina . . . which we parlayed into Mike Iupati in 2010

Not exactly. The 49ers traded away Pick #43 in the 2nd round and a 4th round pick for Carolina's 1st rounder in 2010. That's not the same as trading away an actual 1st rounder in exchange for a future 1st rounder.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Not exactly. The 49ers traded away Pick #43 in the 2nd round and a 4th round pick for Carolina's 1st rounder in 2010. That's not the same as trading away an actual 1st rounder in exchange for a future 1st rounder.

Yeah, that and the 2nd rounder with indy got us 1sts. If we trade away our first for a first next year only way I would do it if it's a likely bottom dweller like the Jags, Raiders, etc. If it's someone who will likely be in the middle of the 1st round or in the 20's it wouldn't make much sense unless they threw in like a 3rd this year as well.

Maybe it won't be for a future first but it seems every year teams (usually the bad ones) get caught up in the moment and get antsy and trade up into the late 1st or early 2nd to get someone (usually an overrated QB). Prime spots and like I said guys it's only 2 picks between 31 and 34 so we get a call for 31 and ask them who they are drafting and if they want someone we don't want and we think teams 32 and 33 won't take who we want then we could go for it. Pick up an extra 3rd or 4th to go from 31 to late 30's or early/mid 40's. Still get our target we wanted at 31 at 34... have to wait a little later to get that 2nd guy but get an extra mid 3rd or early 4th out of it.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:

Yeah, that and the 2nd rounder with indy got us 1sts. If we trade away our first for a first next year only way I would do it if it's a likely bottom dweller like the Jags, Raiders, etc. If it's someone who will likely be in the middle of the 1st round or in the 20's it wouldn't make much sense unless they threw in like a 3rd this year as well.

Of course you have to consider where the team you're trading with will likely finish in the coming season, which I think is why we gave up what we did for the Carolina pick . . . a high 2nd and a 4th for what turned into the 17th overall

Of course you have to consider where the team you're trading with will likely finish in the coming season, which I think is why we gave up what we did for the Carolina pick . . . a high 2nd and a 4th for what turned into the 17th overall

Yeah but remember that Carolina went on a late season tear and it could have resulted in even worse draft position. Originally people were expecting a Top 10 pick easy and that didn't happen. Its tough to predict where pretty much any team will end up in a given year.
Yeah but remember that Carolina went on a late season tear and it could have resulted in even worse draft position. Originally people were expecting a Top 10 pick easy and that didn't happen. Its tough to predict where pretty much any team will end up in a given year.

I remember following them and for most of the year it was top 10. At one point they were a 4-7 team but finished by winning 4 of 5. Still worth it... Iupati in 2010 and they got Everrette Brown (6 total career sacks) who some wanted with our early 1st in 09.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM ]
Jaguars #3, Browns #6, Bills #8, and the Jets #9 are all looking for QBs. And the QBs in this draft don't warrant a top twenty pick. So either they reach in the first round or they wait for the second. We pick before and after the Jaguars at #33, so the Browns, Bills, and/or Jets might covet either of our picks to take a QB. According to the draft chart, it would cost any of those teams roughly a 4th rounder plus their second to move up to #31. But since we have so many picks already, we could ask for a third this year, or take their second and a third next year as Phoenix49er suggests. If we are lucky, there will be a bidding war for one of our picks between the Browns, Bills, and Jets. We could get an offer that is too good to pass up.
Good post.

I'm a gambler and There are 2 things I'd put big $ on:

A). Baalke will trade some picks for next year and

B). He will move up to get aplayer he really wants.

Agree on moving back to get more picks in 2-3 rounds.

Man, I can't wait for this to get started.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
Personally, I think that if the certain player we like isn't there, I doubt that Harbaalke will find anyone who will try and trade to our 31st spot..

My prediction is, we are gonna end up w/ the best player available if we stay still..
Share 49ersWebzone