There are 139 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

The more I look at the draft, the more trading down out of the 1st seems to make sense.

plz trade with Jax and take Dion Jordan

but i think we trade up into the 12-20 range and grab someone the team really likes.
The Niners strategy will most likely hinder on what players "slide". It happens every year and I am sure they have a couple guys they would love to get their hands on at the right price. My guess is they have a couple d-linemen they like and a safety they like. I highly doubt they will trade up more than 10 spots up, then again I am not Harbaalke. Surely they will not use all 13 picks.

What I wonder is what if a player like Tavon Austin (not saying he will or it will even be him, could be another dynamic player) slides. Do the Niners make a move to take a top 15 talent in the mid 20's? Certainly they have the ammunition. I highly doubt they take a wideout with a first rounder this year, AJ Jenkins is more than capable of stepping up and being a successful slot receiver this year. Should be fun to see what happens in 13 days though!
Id rather see us trade for up Bjoern Werner, Sheldon Richardson or Jarvis Jones than trade down.
Originally posted by jimmy49erfan:
Id rather see us trade for up Bjoern Werner, Sheldon Richardson or Jarvis Jones than trade down.

Please not Werner. Jones will fall to the 31st pick write it down!
I would rather trade up with the the niners 3,4,5,6th, 7th, You still have 3 comp picks you cannot trade. Trade up into round 2,

pick 31
pick 34
pick 45- trade into
pick 57
pick 75
pick 90 approximately.

6 picks in the top 90

So many possibilities.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Most of the depth in this draft is between the 2nd and 4th rounds. If the 49ers can move down into the early to mid second, pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick, that could easily turn into another potentially productive player. I can see quite a few top prospects falling through the cracks and it would really be nice to have an extra pick or two to allow them to move up from the 4th into the 3rd or from the late 3rd into the mid or early 3rd round, just to have some more flexibility. I could see them trading some of the later picks away even, but if they can add 5 or 6 high quality prospects through the first 3 rounds, I think that would be absolutely awesome. They can add gain needed depth at safety, defensive line, wide receiver and tight end......with the remaining picks basically, more or less, luxury picks.

I think there will be a run on QB's in the late 1st round and the 49ers are in prime position to move down with someone like the Jets who will likely be looking at a quarterback and will be interested in moving up to secure their particular prospect of interest...as well as to lock them down for 5 years at a very affordable salary.

To me trading down means being able to add one more player at least, a guy like Duke Williams, Josh Evans, Terry Hawthorne, Jordan Mills, Will Davis and others.

I agree on the run on QBs, and both our 31st and 34th pick hold tremendous value for teams trading up for a QB. I could really see Buffalo trading up to our 34 to snag Ryan Nassib.
I could see the Niners holding on to our 1 st round pick so we can have him for 5 years an extra year imagine how hard its going to be to resign 10 players at one time, i see the Niners trading 34 back to 40 or 41 Miami RB or Buffalo QB AND PICKING UP A 4th round pick trade our 2nd 3 round pick for a 5th 2013 and 2nd round 2014 trade our 2nd 4th round for a 6th 2013 and 3rd 2014 trade a 6th for 5 th 2014 and a 7th for a 6 th 2014 leaving us with 1,2,2,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7 12picks 2013 and 2014 2,2/3alex,3,3Goldson,5,6,7 jones 7 extra picks plus comp picks 2014 draft 1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,6,7,7 BUILDING AN EMPIRE
Originally posted by SSF49er:
I could see the Niners holding on to our 1 st round pick so we can have him for 5 years an extra year imagine how hard its going to be to resign 10 players at one time, i see the Niners trading 34 back to 40 or 41 Miami RB or Buffalo QB AND PICKING UP A 4th round pick trade our 2nd 3 round pick for a 5th 2013 and 2nd round 2014 trade our 2nd 4th round for a 6th 2013 and 3rd 2014 trade a 6th for 5 th 2014 and a 7th for a 6 th 2014 leaving us with 1,2,2,3,4,4,5,5,6,6,7,7 12picks 2013 and 2014 2,2/3alex,3,3Goldson,5,6,7 jones 7 extra picks plus comp picks 2014 draft 1,2,2,2,3,3,3,4,5,5,6,6,7,7 BUILDING AN EMPIRE

The new rookie wage pool, all players get 4 year deals, including first round picks. They are not allowed to renogiate a new deal until the end of year 3.
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
I wouldn't be shocked if we flip #31 or #34 for a 2014 first rounder and a 3rd rounder or something like that.

I think this is very unlikely. The Niners are trying to win a Super Bowl this season. They have glaring needs and very little depth. Maybe, MAYBE, if they get a crazy offer for the 34, but I think they use those top picks.
We have 13 picks. We should deal up for some higher ones. No way 13 guys make a team this good. It's useless to have that many. We don't need to trade back down for more. Deal up for less picks but better ones.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Most of the depth in this draft is between the 2nd and 4th rounds. If the 49ers can move down into the early to mid second, pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick, that could easily turn into another potentially productive player. I can see quite a few top prospects falling through the cracks and it would really be nice to have an extra pick or two to allow them to move up from the 4th into the 3rd or from the late 3rd into the mid or early 3rd round, just to have some more flexibility. I could see them trading some of the later picks away even, but if they can add 5 or 6 high quality prospects through the first 3 rounds, I think that would be absolutely awesome. They can add gain needed depth at safety, defensive line, wide receiver and tight end......with the remaining picks basically, more or less, luxury picks.

I think there will be a run on QB's in the late 1st round and the 49ers are in prime position to move down with someone like the Jets who will likely be looking at a quarterback and will be interested in moving up to secure their particular prospect of interest...as well as to lock them down for 5 years at a very affordable salary.

To me trading down means being able to add one more player at least, a guy like Duke Williams, Josh Evans, Terry Hawthorne, Jordan Mills, Will Davis and others.

I agree on the run on QBs, and both our 31st and 34th pick hold tremendous value for teams trading up for a QB. I could really see Buffalo trading up to our 34 to snag Ryan Nassib.

Consider Baalke's history. He has slightly "over drafted" many of his players. They even traded up slightly for Davis. I think the Niners stay at 31, or even trade up. I think the pick they trade will be the #34.

#31 will be Baalke's target, #34 will be up for auction in my opinion.
I wouldn't be shocked if we flip #31 or #34 for a 2014 first rounder and a 3rd rounder or something like that.

I would be. Nobody really does that.
There are a glut of safeties and defensive linemen at 30-35. I could see us trading one of them and picking up a safety later in the 2nd, but it'd have to be a pretty sweet deal
But with all the picks that we have, we should be the BULLY of this draft and target a player we want, and try to parlay picks even if it means that we should MOVE UP...

Lets not be like the Patriots who (IMO) out-smart themselves by stock filing picks after picks that they came to a waste. Look how many times they have drafted DBs in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, and none has developed. We have a young team, and we need to draft difference makers and we should use the picks that we have in order to find them..
Originally posted by nickbradley:

I would be. Nobody really does that.

We did it in 2009 with Carolina . . . which we parlayed into Mike Iupati in 2010