There are 81 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

49ers draft history late 1st round picks

I like to look back at history around draft time just to see how certain draft spots performed for us. This year I mostly just looked draft spots in the late first round I rate the players if they lived up to the spot they were drafted in. Since 1990 players drafted later in the first round 2 out of 14 turned out good for us. Hopefully Baalke can buck the trend and get us a keeper.

1990 25th Dexter Carter - flop
1991 25th Ted Washington - flop with us later turned out good
1992 18th Dana Hall - flop
1993 26th Dana Stubblefield - great player
1997 26th Jim Druckenmiller - epic flop
1998 28th RW McQuarters - flop
1999 24th Reggie McGrew - epic flop
2002 27th Mike Rumph - flop
2003 26th Kwame Harris - epic flop
2004 31st Rashaun Woods - epic flop
2005 22nd Manny Lawson - flop
2007 28th Joe Staley - good pick
2008 29th Kentwan Balmer - epic flop
2012 30th AJ Jenkins - its early but it dont look good
[ Edited by susweel on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:03 PM ]
We're f**ked
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
We're f**ked

even I was amazed when making that list thats some seriously bad picks.
Uh oh! History is not on our side. Perhaps that is why Baalke didn't play AJ the first year to erase the curse?
Originally posted by NCommand:
Uh oh! History is not on our side. Perhaps that is why Baalke didn't play AJ the first year to erase the curse?

dont think it was Baalke not playing him.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-worst-drafts-past-10-years

First-round draft pick A.J. Jenkins probably would not have made the team if he had not been a high draft pick. He made no impact despite season-ending injuries to Kyle Williams and Mario Manningham. Jenkins dropped the only pass thrown his way during the season.
we need to trade way up or get out of first round
Uummm Joe Staley was a late first round pick in 2007 N he's a pro bowler...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

my bad I missed that one because I saw Willis as the first pick and didnt notice Staley.
Yea Willis was OUR first round pick but we did trade back up into tha late first for staley ...I think alot of first round picks are flops for alot teams ... that's why teams like to get mid N late round picks it kinda balance it out ...
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:

my bad I missed that one because I saw Willis as the first pick and didnt notice Staley.

Then who was the other 1? Are you considering Willis a late first?
Lets see you need to add:

Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Joe Staley, Patrick Willis, and Michael Crabtree to this list
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

Alex Smith, Vernon Davis, Manny Lawson, Joe Staley, Patrick Willis, and Michael Crabtree to this list

LATE 1st round picks
Originally posted by ninerlifer:

I think he means late first round picks 20 N above I would think are late round ..just IMO though
Yeah we should trade up or out of first round so we can avoid another bust late 1st round pick.
This is why I would take two mid round second round picks over one late round first round pick. You have a better chance to hit with two pick than one pick. I also hate to say it, but Mel Kiper could have picked better for the Niners when they are picking past pick 20. The record speaks for itself, it is abysmal.

That being said every draft is unique. This draft is flat in talent from picks 6=-75. Thus I would not trade up this year.

Pick 31- Zach Ertz
Pick 34- Margus Hunt or Jesse Williams
Pick 57- Barret Jones OL
Pick 75- Best safety available.