LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 235 users in the forums

Josh Evans-Free Safety-Florida

Originally posted by SF69ers:
Originally posted by GatorDoc77:
I have seen every Gator game during the times both Evans and Elam have been there and there is no way anyone in their right mind should want Evans over Elam as an nfl prospect.

While Evans is a solid player, he is by no means exceptional. He made nice strides to improve his play from his earlier years when he even lost his starting job to a freshman. His weaknesses are more glaring than Elam's. He is not better in coverage. In fact, he tended to take bad angles and get beat. Elam on the other hand is not just a hitter. As a freshman, in order to get him on the field, he was THE starting nickle back.

Also, my gators defense plays safeties in a way that they are interchangeable, not true free or strong safeties.

Sure Elam lacks height but he makes it up with tremendous skill, instincts, leadership and other intangibles. The guy is a football player period with star potential as a safety...remember Sanders from his days in Indy?

Now Evans is a good later round prospect and I would welcome him to the team but I don't forsee him becoming a probowler. He's marginal in most things he does and he is not very fluid.

That is my assessment of their games and I generally critique more than usual bc I have to rewatch many games on dvr due to my work schedule.

Go Gators and Go Niners!

Great post. I've been saying the bolded above for awhile but the Elam haters never listen. All they see is his height and automatically look for an NFL safety with similar build and make the comparison. Other than being a sure tackler, I don't see the Whitner comparison.

My question is how is he going to matchup with tight ends at 5'10. We've seen the last two seasons how Whitner's size puts him at a disadvantage against tight ends.
[ Edited by SFrush on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:05 PM ]
All that matter is who Trent likes. None of us are paid for this, we just get to watch some highlights and go I like that guy lets get him he's better than that guy.... Trent will do his job, he will find a football player!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
. There are scouts who actually see Evans as the better pro prospect ultimately.

A. You personally know nfl scouts ( very doubtful)
B. You read this somewhere ( link? )
C. You made this up out of thin air to support your argument.

If I were taking the SATs my guess would be C. People on the zone love to make things up and pass it off as fact. Is that the case here as well?
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 12, 2013 at 5:27 PM ]
Originally posted by natrone06:
. There are scouts who actually see Evans as the better pro prospect ultimately.

If I were taking the SATs my guess would be C. People on the zone love to make things up and pass it off as fact.

Link?

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

If I were taking the SATs my guess would be C. People on the zone love to make things up and pass it off as fact.

Link?

Touché
Originally posted by 5280High:
Here is some good video of both safeties...

Elam is #22, Evans is #9... this is supposed to be an Elam film but the more you watch the more Evans really stands out (also easy to identify with the dreads). Definitly has some potential.

Good video. He looks like a good mid round prospect for the 49ers.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by 5280High:
Here is some good video of both safeties...

Elam is #22, Evans is #9... this is supposed to be an Elam film but the more you watch the more Evans really stands out (also easy to identify with the dreads). Definitly has some potential.

Good video. He looks like a good mid round prospect for the 49ers.

I know this is about the safeties but the first throw by bridgewater was damn amazing. I pray to whatever exists out there that he does not go to the tards. We already have enough good, young quarterbacks.... But if we add Elams and Evans we wouldn't need to worry about that.

Link?

lol http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132054/josh-evans
Originally posted by mtminer:

Link?

lol [url=http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132054/josh-evans]http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/132054/josh-evans[/url]

My sat score was pretty bad. Still not exactly the same but better then out of thin air. Another touché deserved. It's funny because Phoenix kind of reminds me of Russ lande. I wonder if Ive stumbled onto something lol.
[ Edited by natrone06 on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM ]

If I were taking the SATs my guess would be C. People on the zone love to make things up and pass it off as fact. Is that the case here as well?

Just one example....

Florida S Josh Evans has visits lined up with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets.
Evans has had previous visits, with teams such as the New England Patriots, New York Giants and Cleveland Browns. It's been said in the past that Evans is a better prospect than teammate Matt Elam, who is also highly regarded. National Football Post's Russ Lande recently wrote that Evans was more fluid and athletic than Elam at the school's pro day.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 12, 2013 at 6:48 PM ]

Josh Evans is a solid 4th to 5th round FS and Elam is a solid 2nd round SS.
Evans is vastly undervalued and underrated. I think he is a solid NFL starter for a franchise. I have a late second round grade on him, even though he will be drafted much later.

Just one example....

Florida S Josh Evans has visits lined up with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets.
Evans has had previous visits, with teams such as the New England Patriots, New York Giants and Cleveland Browns. It's been said in the past that Evans is a better prospect than teammate Matt Elam, who is also highly regarded. National Football Post's Russ Lande recently wrote that Evans was more fluid and athletic than Elam at the school's pro day.

Russ Lande also thinks Nassib is the #1 prospect in the entire draft. Quoting him is worthless.
Share 49ersWebzone