There are 129 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Josh Evans-Free Safety-Florida

Originally posted by SolRebe1:
Don't like all the Elam hate

me neither. there's a reason he's rated pretty high, yet people like to criticize the negatives in his game.
Maybe we draft both... They would bring the unique experience of having played together for years!!!
Nice to see that the Niners are exploring all players not just the ones we think about.
like this guy but he doesnt seem polished enough to come in right away and make an impact and we are playing to win right now
Originally posted by SF69ers:
me neither. there's a reason he's rated pretty high, yet people like to criticize the negatives in his game.
You know who was rated pretty high? Donte Whitner was rated pretty high, that's why he was a Top 10 pick in the draft. Dashon Goldson meanwhile was a 4th rounder and yet given the choice, I don't think a single poster on these forums would have chosen to give up Goldson if he could have been retained by simply cutting Whitner. But yeah, Whitner was rated pretty high.

Elam is an under-sized strong safety who struggles in coverage. Beyond that...he's outstanding. All the stuff people hate about Whitner, Elam brings in spades....and before we get into the whole "they're not the same"....bottomline, they were pretty similar as college players, go watch Whitner in college, he was the same sort of player, very explosive run defender, hard hitter, making plays all over the place, but questions about his size and coverage ability that have never gone away. Elam is somewhat better in terms of coverage ability but takes way too many chances, is always headhunting, looking for the big hit instead of just wrapping up.

I just don't see how you logically go from wanting Whitner booted off this team to proclaiming Matt Elam as the answer, that makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

If anything, I think Evans has been grossly underrated as he took on a lot of responsibility on his own shoulders to let Elam go run around near the line of scrimmage. There are scouts who actually see Evans as the better pro prospect ultimately.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 12, 2013 at 11:29 AM ]
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

He's an under-sized strong safety who struggles in coverage. Beyond that...he's outstanding. All the stuff people hate about Whitner, Elam brings in spades....and before we get into the whole "they're not the same"....bottomline, they were pretty similar as college players, go watch Whitner in college, he was the same sort of player, very explosive run defender, hard hitter, making plays all over the place, but questions about his size and coverage ability that have never gone away. Elam is somewhat better in terms of coverage ability but takes way too many chances, is always headhunting, looking for the big hit instead of just wrapping up.

I just don't see how you logically go from wanting Whitner booted off this team to proclaiming Matt Elam as the answer, that makes absolutely no sense to me at all.

If anyone, I think Evans has been grossly underrated as he took on a lot of responsibility on his own shoulders to let Elam go run around near the line of scrimmage. There are scouts who actually see Evans as the better pro prospect ultimately.

can Elam be better in coverage? sure he can. i agree that it isn't what he's best at, but he's certainly not horrible in coverage. also have to consider how he'd develop in our defensive scheme. IMO, he's interchangeable at the safety position. u see a Whitner comparison, i see a Polamalu comparison.

i do agree with you about Evans being extremely underrated, though.
Elam is quicker and much more instinctive than Evans. I don't see much in Evans and certainly wouldn't take him before the 4th Round.

Elam is similar to Whitner, but a young Whitner - i.e. much faster and more athletic than the current model. The allure of a longer, faster pure FS like Amerson is understandable, but Elam wouldn't be bad either if that's the FO's guy.
Evans definitely seems as much like a Goldson clone than any other FS prospect out there (similar height, build, athleticism, etc.). Not sure how much of a playmaker/hitter he is right now, but like Goldson, he could develop over time into a real factor at safety.
Here is some good video of both safeties...

Elam is #22, Evans is #9... this is supposed to be an Elam film but the more you watch the more Evans really stands out (also easy to identify with the dreads). Definitly has some potential.
Originally posted by 5280High:
Here is some good video of both safeties...

Elam is #22, Evans is #9... this is supposed to be an Elam film but the more you watch the more Evans really stands out (also easy to identify with the dreads). Definitly has some potential.

That was good stuff... Was i watching the niners secondary from last year. Looks like whitner and goldson. Draft both!
I have seen every Gator game during the times both Evans and Elam have been there and there is no way anyone in their right mind should want Evans over Elam as an nfl prospect.

While Evans is a solid player, he is by no means exceptional. He made nice strides to improve his play from his earlier years when he even lost his starting job to a freshman. His weaknesses are more glaring than Elam's. He is not better in coverage. In fact, he tended to take bad angles and get beat. Elam on the other hand is not just a hitter. As a freshman, in order to get him on the field, he was THE starting nickle back.

Also, my gators defense plays safeties in a way that they are interchangeable, not true free or strong safeties.

Sure Elam lacks height but he makes it up with tremendous skill, instincts, leadership and other intangibles. The guy is a football player period with star potential as a safety...remember Sanders from his days in Indy?

Now Evans is a good later round prospect and I would welcome him to the team but I don't forsee him becoming a probowler. He's marginal in most things he does and he is not very fluid.

That is my assessment of their games and I generally critique more than usual bc I have to rewatch many games on dvr due to my work schedule.

Go Gators and Go Niners!
Originally posted by GatorDoc77:
I have seen every Gator game during the times both Evans and Elam have been there and there is no way anyone in their right mind should want Evans over Elam as an nfl prospect.

While Evans is a solid player, he is by no means exceptional. He made nice strides to improve his play from his earlier years when he even lost his starting job to a freshman. His weaknesses are more glaring than Elam's. He is not better in coverage. In fact, he tended to take bad angles and get beat. Elam on the other hand is not just a hitter. As a freshman, in order to get him on the field, he was THE starting nickle back.

Also, my gators defense plays safeties in a way that they are interchangeable, not true free or strong safeties.

Sure Elam lacks height but he makes it up with tremendous skill, instincts, leadership and other intangibles. The guy is a football player period with star potential as a safety...remember Sanders from his days in Indy?

Now Evans is a good later round prospect and I would welcome him to the team but I don't forsee him becoming a probowler. He's marginal in most things he does and he is not very fluid.

That is my assessment of their games and I generally critique more than usual bc I have to rewatch many games on dvr due to my work schedule.

Go Gators and Go Niners!

Great post. I've been saying the bolded above for awhile but the Elam haters never listen. All they see is his height and automatically look for an NFL safety with similar build and make the comparison. Other than being a sure tackler, I don't see the Whitner comparison.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,000 for pwillis52beasty.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
You know who was rated pretty high? Donte Whitner was rated pretty high, that's why he was a Top 10 pick in the draft. Dashon Goldson meanwhile was a 4th rounder and yet given the choice, I don't think a single poster on these forums would have chosen to give up Goldson if he could have been retained by simply cutting Whitner. But yeah, Whitner was rated pretty high.

Elam is an under-sized strong safety who struggles in coverage. Beyond that...he's outstanding. All the stuff people hate about Whitner, Elam brings in spades....and before we get into the whole "they're not the same"....bottomline, they were pretty similar as college players, go watch Whitner in college, he was the same sort of player, very explosive run defender, hard hitter, making plays all over the place, but questions about his size and coverage ability that have never gone away. Elam is somewhat better in terms of coverage ability but takes way too many chances, is always headhunting, looking for the big hit instead of just wrapping up.

If anything, I think Evans has been grossly underrated as he took on a lot of responsibility on his own shoulders to let Elam go run around near the line of scrimmage. There are scouts who actually see Evans as the better pro prospect ultimately.
This. Elam is far too similar to Whitner. Sure you can argue Elam is better in coverage, but he's still suspect. Why would we want two similar safeties who are 5'10 with neither having coverage ability as their strong suit? Good luck having either of those guys trying to guard the bigger tight ends and receivers. Whitners lack of length and height is a large reason why he gets beat in coverage so often. Bigger and taller tight ends/receivers easily are able to box him out and get great body position (see dennis pitta, tony gonzalez). You need at least one guy (ideally your FS) back there with some height and length.
Originally posted by SammyFrancisco:
Elam is quicker and much more instinctive than Evans. I don't see much in Evans and certainly wouldn't take him before the 4th Round.

Elam is similar to Whitner, but a young Whitner - i.e. much faster and more athletic than the current model. The allure of a longer, faster pure FS like Amerson is understandable, but Elam wouldn't be bad either if that's the FO's guy.

Are we talking about when Whitner was in high school or what? He's 26 years old right now, hardly a graybeard.....he's just never been very good in coverage, and obviously has always been undersized for a safety. The Bills let him go in the prime of his career and the 49ers signed him for a dirt cheap price exactly for those reasons.

Not sure its too bright to have two sub 6 foot safeties starting either, even if Elam is the second coming of Ed Reed combined with Troy Polamalu combined with Ronnie Lott as some in this thread clearly seem to believe.

I just see him as highly overrated, a great college player that will struggle and ultimately become an also-ran in the NFL as his coverage ability and height will both be exposed. He's not an Earl Thomas that can get by despite being undersized due to his ridiculous coverage abilities, he's Whitner all over again, same skillset, same strengths, same weaknesses except Whitner was the better player coming out in the draft.

You draft Elam early and now your safeties next season are 5'10" Matt Elam and 5'10" Donte Whitner....that should be entertaining to watch them defend against bigger receivers and tight-ends alike.
Elam vs Evans how did this turn into that. I Think in todays NFL Both or at least one of your safety should be a good cover guy. with all the 4 and 5 receiver set they will see if both of your safety are bad in coverage your going to have to take one of them out of the game. They are still going to need to come up on run play and hit someone, that just doesn't need to be there strong area of play. They can play Whitner on the strong side to let him come up and hit the RB on a run play. The other safety can play the deep middle or man up on a WR. If next year they have 2 safety that are not good in coverage I could see them pulling the nose and a safety and putting in Nnamdi and Culliver on passing downs.
[ Edited by dlance on Apr 12, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]