LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

MadDog's Big 254 Board April 11 Edition

Originally posted by irief:
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
I will combine my thoughts on this response:
1. Patterson has a ton of talent, but is a raw route runner, didn't appear to interview well with teams, and to me, his numbers simply were not impressive compared to teammate Justin Hunter. I think he slides down toward the Texans, in that range.
2. Fragel really impressed those of us in Columbus with his transition from TE to OT. Tall, athletic OT's go earlier than expected (Valdeer, Vollmer, etc.)

MadDog, just for sh*ts and grins it be interesting to see how your big boards have fared over the past few years in comparison to where these players actually landed on draft day. Do you have that info?
MD has posted that stuff in years past, including last year. His has been better than nearly all, if not all, pro or amateur big boards.
MD, I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but the 49ers have invited, John Boyett, S from Oregon for a visit. I can't find him on your latest 254 board.

Thanks,
[ Edited by mebemused on Apr 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM ]
Originally posted by mebemused:
MD, I don't know if anyone has pointed this out, but the 49ers have invited, John Boyett, S from Oregon for a visit. I can't find him on your latest 254 board.

Thanks,

is he coming in on the invite for local players--stanford cal san jose st and bay area ties
A lot of those teams in our region (Texans, Pats, Ravens, etc.) have secondary issues to confront, so I think they tend to fall into some of these slots. No intention for direct matches.

Just teasing, love the work.
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
MD,
Could you rate the best four or five slot corners? With Culliver, Nnamdi and Rogers on the roster, might Fangio move one to FS and might Baalke select a slot corner high. Slay at 61 or trade for Hayden or Alford? Or someone else you've seen? This strategy would have the benefit of both not starting a rookie at FS while getting a faster slot corner.

To me, Rogers and Nnamdi are on borrowed time, and Culliver is at best a nickle back, so the team has to look for a starting quality guy soon. As for slot corners, I love the quicker, lower to the ground guys. If we are just looking at the slot, I'd put Alford, Webb, McFaddon at the top of my list. I believe all three have terrific quickness, excellent footwork and strong change of direction skills needed to matchup in the slot. I like Hayden, Slay, Pryor more on the outside.

Gotta disagree on your assessment of Culliver. Minus his poor SB showing, i think he has all the makings of a #1. What are your thoughts on Phillip Thomas? Not that a 40 time is the end all be all, but his was a little slower than i would have liked.
I think we should trade up for Tavon, and stay put with the trades subsequent last remaining 2nd round pick (the later one most likely) And select Sanders Comments to become the best FS in the game!
I think we should trade up for Tavon, and stay put with the trades subsequent last remaining 2nd round pick (the later one most likely) And select Sanders Commings to become the best FS in the game!
You all have my word that I'll gain your respect over time. Been overseeing this site for over a decade. P. S. I predicted last years pick AJ Jenkins. I swear to god on that!
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by hofer36:
Originally posted by buck:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Thanks MD! Now you're going to have to follow this up with another post about the 49ers' board. Last time you had DJ Hayden as our BPA at 61, but now you have him scooped up much sooner. I'm bummed to see it because I am hoping for him at 61 after you convinced me of the idea.

I also remember from your last board that you had Rhodes and Vaccaro falling much closer to 31 than I was expecting; in this edition, you have them higher and more in line with "conventional" wisdom (you were lower than the norm before).

Going in the opposite direction, you now have Cordarrelle Patterson falling tantalizingly close to us. I want!

The reports on Cordarrelle Patterson keep getting worse.
There is growing concern about his work and study habitats.
Apparently, his interviews at the combine did not go very well.
Does not have a good grasp of the route tree.

And he remains, a one-year wonder.

But, it is lying season, so who really knows what the teams are thinking.

Strikes me as a boom or bust player. Great potential but high risk.

If he falls to #31, it might best to let him keep falling.

dez bryant II

I do not think so. Dez Bryant has been an arrogant effing idiot.

That is not the take I get on Patterson.
Hi Maddog,
in your opinion can Tank Corradine develop in a 3-4 DE?

Right now he is a little undersized but he has room to grow, he is very strong and very effective against the run?

What do you think?

Originally posted by Decima_Mas:
Hi Maddog,
in your opinion can Tank Corradine develop in a 3-4 DE?

Right now he is a little undersized but he has room to grow, he is very strong and very effective against the run?

What do you think?

As reported yesterday, I believe the team would start him as a 34 OLB and then have him gain some weight and play the 34 DE down the road. All of that being said, I believe after tomorrow's workout that he will be gone before the team selects at 31. However, we will soon see.
Here are some notes that I think will shake up the draft in one week:

1.Could we see Justin Hunter leapfrog his teammate Patterson in the draft? I'd give it a 50-50 shot.
2. Imagine the bidding war at number five to the Lions for the rights to...Eric Fisher. I think the Eagles, and Chip Kelly, will see Lane Johnson as the more athletic, long term upside star...see note on Trent Williams. However, the Lions would probably unplug the phone, and run up to the podium with Fisher's name on the card.
3. Depending on Tank Carradine's workout tomorrow, which I think will be excellent, could he pass his teammate, Werner, in the draft? I also give this a 50-50 shot.
4. Will Jonathan Franklin be the first back taken over Eddie Lacy? Don't think so, but the gap appears to be very narrow.
5. Count me as shocked if the Jets don't pick one of three players at number 9: Mingo, Milliner or Austin. They might even be able to get two of them once the Revis deal is done.
6. Who is the shock 7-10 pick for 2013? It happens almost every year that someone "reaches" for a player in this slot. Got a feeling that Austin is the leading guy, which would be crazy stuff for a 170 pounder. However, since people are already talking about the potential for Austin as a top 10 pick, it would not be a shock anymore.
7. Jarvis Jones, to me, is more likely to be a second rounder than first rounder. I think he slips out of the first frame.
8. Etch in stone: Matt Barkley will be the fifth QB selected in the draft, after Smith, Manuel, Nassib, and Glennon.
9. Keenan Allen drops like a rock. Thinking he will be the 7th WR taken...if he is lucky.

Side note: The team(s) that pass on Sharrif Floyd are going to kick themselves for the next 10 years. He is the best player in this draft, and I'm not sure it is close. Knowing the Raiders luck, the Jaguars's front office will have a team of mules kick them in the head and dump the idea of Jordan at 2 and select Floyd. He is a 20 year old monster in the making.

Final note: Another player that is going to make GM's scratch their heads, and say, 'Why didn't we draft him?" is Stedman Bailey. Watch video highlights of West Virginia in 2012, and tell me who you see: Austin or Bailey. I see Bailey. I am not saying he will be the better pro, but history shows that teammates of the same position who are both drafted in the same year often track their college performances to the pros. That is good news for Justin Hunter and Stedman Bailey, who happened to score......25 TDs in 2012. 25 TDs for Bailey in one year. That is a crazy, crazy number. Someone smart is selecting this dude.

Hoping to reload the Big Board on this thread later today and post one final Big Board on Wednesday of next week. Cheers for now.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Apr 18, 2013 at 12:37 PM ]
I see Sheldon Richardson as a "Surprise" Top 8 pick.
Here are some notes that I think will shake up the draft in one week:

1.Could we see Justin Hunter leapfrog his teammate Patterson in the draft? I'd give it a 50-50 shot.
2. Imagine the bidding war at number five to the Lions for the rights to...Eric Fisher. I think the Eagles, and Chip Kelly, will see Lane Johnson as the more athletic, long term upside star...see note on Trent Williams. However, the Lions would probably unplug the phone, and run up to the podium with Fisher's name on the card.
3. Depending on Tank Carradine's workout tomorrow, which I think will be excellent, could he pass his teammate, Werner, in the draft? I also give this a 50-50 shot.
4. Will Jonathan Franklin be the first back taken over Eddie Lacy? Don't think so, but the gap appears to be very narrow.
5. Count me as shocked if the Jets don't pick one of three players at number 9: Mingo, Milliner or Austin. They might even be able to get two of them once the Revis deal is done.
6. Who is the shock 7-10 pick for 2013? It happens almost every year that someone "reaches" for a player in this slot. Got a feeling that Austin is the leading guy, which would be crazy stuff for a 170 pounder. However, since people are already talking about the potential for Austin as a top 10 pick, it would not be a shock anymore.
7. Jarvis Jones, to me, is more likely to be a second rounder than first rounder. I think he slips out of the first frame.
8. Etch in stone: Matt Barkley will be the fifth QB selected in the draft, after Smith, Manuel, Nassib, and Glennon.
9. Keenan Allen drops like a rock. Thinking he will be the 7th WR taken...if he is lucky.

Side note: The team(s) that pass on Sharrif Floyd are going to kick themselves for the next 10 years. He is the best player in this draft, and I'm not sure it is close. Knowing the Raiders luck, the Jaguars's front office will have a team of mules kick them in the head and dump the idea of Jordan at 2 and select Floyd. He is a 20 year old monster in the making.

Final note: Another player that is going to make GM's scratch their heads, and say, 'Why didn't we draft him?" is Stedman Bailey. Watch video highlights of West Virginia in 2012, and tell me who you see: Austin or Bailey. I see Bailey. I am not saying he will be the better pro, but history shows that teammates of the same position who are both drafted in the same year often track their college performances to the pros. That is good news for Justin Hunter and Stedman Bailey, who happened to score......25 TDs in 2012. 25 TDs for Bailey in one year. That is a crazy, crazy number. Someone smart is selecting this dude.

Hoping to reload the Big Board on this thread later today and post one final Big Board on Wednesday of next week. Cheers for now.

Fascinating stuff. Thanks for this update.
Love your work and insight MD!

Keep the info coming. I can't get enough.
Share 49ersWebzone