There are 106 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Trade up Mock Draft (First Four Rounds)

This draft would puzzle me more than most. Two positions of need, that are very strong in this group of prospects--TE and NT, being ignored? I realize pick 127 is listed as a DT but that is after many really good prospects have gone in the first, second and third. Guess I rank the NT as a much higher need. Will be fun to see who's right!

Also relying on some very iffy picks--Patterson and Mathieu.

Too many trades for the value I see in the players selected. I would rather stay put or make trades for more second round picks.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 11, 2013 at 7:41 AM ]
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,552
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Now you're talking


You don't like DaRick Rogers in the 3rd/4th?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Now you're talking


You don't like DaRick Rogers in the 3rd/4th?

Truthfully that would be better value and we could keep more picks that way. I like Darick Rogers and would be very pleased with him. I was just trying to be a little different with this mock and go up and get a guy with incredible versatility like Patterson.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,552
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Now you're talking


You don't like DaRick Rogers in the 3rd/4th?

Truthfully that would be better value and we could keep more picks that way. I like Darick Rogers and would be very pleased with him. I was just trying to be a little different with this mock and go up and get a guy with incredible versatility like Patterson.


Gotha. But this guys probably going top 12. We'd have to give up major comp to move up that far. Now, if he starts sliding then I could see some temptation, but he'd probably have to get into the early 20's.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
This draft would puzzle me more than most. Two positions of need, that are very strong in this group of prospects--TE and NT, being ignored? I realize pick 127 is listed as a DT but that is after many really good prospects have gone in the first, second and third. Guess I rank the NT as a much higher need. Will be fun to see who's right!

Also relying on some very iffy picks--Patterson and Mathieu.

Too many trades for the value I see in the players selected. I would rather stay put or make trades for more second round picks.

Tight end and nose tackle are definitely needs, but I think they can possibly be addressed later if needed. Issac Soapoga didn't play many snaps last year and also he was a fourth round pick. I think we can get by with Celek as a #2 blocking tight end and draft a big bodied receiver later in the draft that we can form in a delanie walker mold.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd feel more comfortable with a guy who can play d end and nose tackle selected higher in the draft (like maybe jessee williams/brandon williams) and also a tight end like Travis Kelce selected in the 3rd round. I was changing it up a little bit with this draft.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Now you're talking


You don't like DaRick Rogers in the 3rd/4th?

Truthfully that would be better value and we could keep more picks that way. I like Darick Rogers and would be very pleased with him. I was just trying to be a little different with this mock and go up and get a guy with incredible versatility like Patterson.


Gotha. But this guys probably going top 12. We'd have to give up major comp to move up that far. Now, if he starts sliding then I could see some temptation, but he'd probably have to get into the early 20's.

Yeah agreed. I think he does go top 15 ultimately but you never know. It's fun to come up with a scenario where we got him.
I hope we can trade up for Sheldon Richardson. Missouri guys have been GOLDEN for us.
I don't see Baalke trading up for a WR in the 1st rd...possibly if it's only a few spots, but to move up 10 spots or more to get a player, I just don't see it. There's a better way to get quality players...it's trading up or down to get at least two more picks in the first 3 rds. Best talent pool is #20 - 70 according to most experts...and it's in that group TB could mine for gold. I'm thinking he'd come out of the draft with no more than 7-8 players, one of whom would likely be a WR. There'll be quality WR's in both 2nd and 3rd rds...any picks left after that can be traded for picks in next year's draft.
Lots of question marks in this scenario. Patterson is just a bigger version of Percy Harvin, but he apparently he does not run very good routes. Very tempting but I think we need a deep threat who can take the top off a defense. Carradine is a good 4-3 DE and so was Justin Smith coming out of Missouri. I still would rather have Datone Jones who has some experience play multiple positions in a 3 or 4 man line. I like Amerson, but trading just to move up ONE spot seems crazy to me. Chris Jones would be a great late round flyer pick at 3-4 DE, not a fourth round pick.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 20,552
Originally posted by tjbra9:
I hope we can trade up for Sheldon Richardson. Missouri guys have been GOLDEN for us.


Top 15, bud, going to have to give up alot.
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Tight end and nose tackle are definitely needs, but I think they can possibly be addressed later if needed. Issac Soapoga didn't play many snaps last year and also he was a fourth round pick. I think we can get by with Celek as a #2 blocking tight end and draft a big bodied receiver later in the draft that we can form in a delanie walker mold.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd feel more comfortable with a guy who can play d end and nose tackle selected higher in the draft (like maybe jessee williams/brandon williams) and also a tight end like Travis Kelce selected in the 3rd round. I was changing it up a little bit with this draft.

No problem! If all the mocks looked the same it would be pretty boring here...and you gave us some new things to think about. I have a couple of thoughts regarding Sopoaga--1) the fact that he didn't play more downs may illustrate how effective he was on first and second against the run. When teams have to pass they could afford to take him out in favor of a smaller pass rush line and 2) it took him a few years to find his niche and the niners don't have that time right now unless Dorsey can fill the bill at the nose.

I am re-evaluating my thinking after reading Maiocco's depth chart today. Seems to be a bit light in MLB & DE back ups.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Tight end and nose tackle are definitely needs, but I think they can possibly be addressed later if needed. Issac Soapoga didn't play many snaps last year and also he was a fourth round pick. I think we can get by with Celek as a #2 blocking tight end and draft a big bodied receiver later in the draft that we can form in a delanie walker mold.

I mean don't get me wrong, I'd feel more comfortable with a guy who can play d end and nose tackle selected higher in the draft (like maybe jessee williams/brandon williams) and also a tight end like Travis Kelce selected in the 3rd round. I was changing it up a little bit with this draft.

No problem! If all the mocks looked the same it would be pretty boring here...and you gave us some new things to think about. I have a couple of thoughts regarding Sopoaga--1) the fact that he didn't play more downs may illustrate how effective he was on first and second against the run. When teams have to pass they could afford to take him out in favor of a smaller pass rush line and 2) it took him a few years to find his niche and the niners don't have that time right now unless Dorsey can fill the bill at the nose.

I am re-evaluating my thinking after reading Maiocco's depth chart today. Seems to be a bit light in MLB & DE back ups.

Those are very good points regarding Soapoaga. And who knows if Dorsey can hold up as a nose tackle for our run defense on 1st and 2nd downs. So a nose tackle very well may be necessary early in the draft.
[ Edited by pwillis52beasty on Apr 11, 2013 at 6:13 PM ]