LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 232 users in the forums

OLB is a suprising need that is being overlooked

In 2014 Ahmad Brooks is due to make $7,500,000 and in 2015 $8,500,000. We've got our backs up against the salary cap wall at the moment, being only $1.7 million under the cap. Although Brooks has had a few really nice clutch series of plays, Brooks has only racked up a mind boggling 26.5 career sacks and has averaged 6.25 per regular season since joining us for the last 4 years. We were rumored to be trying to target this position last year with Bruce Irvin who came in and gave Seattle a nice burst to their pass rush. This is a position that needs to be addressed sooner rather than later, and we need a contingency play for generating pressure on opposing QBs in the playoffs in case Aldon gets injured. We need quality depth with upside behind them, because we may not be able to afford to keep him next year regardless of how much some fans may have enjoyed his streaky play. I know we have some untested depth at the position in Cam Johnson and Darius Flemming, but I feel this is a need we can address in the draft.

My favorite guy for the job is: (Drum roll please M'kay)

OLB Jamie Collins - Southern Mississippi

Raw athletic talent that flashed play making ability. He's someone we could get on day 3 that could spend a year behind Brooks and Smith learning the game.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:27 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,200 for LieutKaffee.
Day 3? He will probably go in the 1st or 2nd round.
I agree Brooks is overpaid he's next to be re placed rather use that salary for Kap,Crabtree,Iupati
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:

This man speaks the truth.
Originally posted by 5280High:

maybe 2nd round
Originally posted by NTeply49:

maybe 2nd round
Maybe round 1. Likely 2nd round. Possibly early to mid 3rd. I'd be extremely surprised if he lasted to Day 3.

If you're looking for a 3rd-4th round OLB prospect, how about Trevardo Williams DE/OLB out of Connecticut?
Did Ahmad Brooks seep with yo mamma or something? He is a good player and was 2nd team all pro He isn't overpaid.
This place is like the twilight zone sometimes. Brooks is a great OLB. Do people around here seriously expect OLB's to be chaseing the sack record every season or something? Crazy, just Crazy. At the end of last season even Aldon wasnt good enough for some. Brooks is a great and underated OLB. We could go back to Lawson....

We have Haralson coming back as well, and we have a couple unprovens on the roster as well. An OLB may be drafted, but it is certainly a position that is much less of a need than most other needs on the roster. Our LB core is the best in the league, Be greatful.

maybe 2nd round

He's the consensus #3 3-4 OLB... Jordan and Mingo could be gone by the 17th pick and Collins will be a hot commodity end of round 1 early round 2.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Would love to have Brandon Jenkins as a back up to Aldon or Brooks

maybe 2nd round

He's the consensus #3 3-4 OLB... Jordan and Mingo could be gone by the 17th pick and Collins will be a hot commodity end of round 1 early round 2.
who's consensus? I can't find a OLB rankings board with him the their top 5
The kid i want is eric martin. He is a later round pick, with insane special teams ability. He also would add a nice developmental guy for the rotation. We need to rebuild the ST IMO, and get more from our depth. This guy offers just that. Good kid, hard worker, smart. 59 tackles 8.5 sacks 18 TFL's 13 hurrys last season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1457606-nebraska-football-why-eric-martin-will-be-most-missed-senior

maybe 2nd round

Where are you looking? most have him in there... NFL.com is just one of many and showed up first on a google search with him at #3. Since the senior bowl and combine he has shot up just about every board I've seen. He was off the radar for awhile because of the pathetic team he was on, but he's definitely known now.
[ Edited by 5280High on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:04 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
Did Ahmad Brooks seep with yo mamma or something? He is a good player and was 2nd team all pro He isn't overpaid.

Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
This place is like the twilight zone sometimes. Brooks is a great OLB. Do people around here seriously expect OLB's to be chaseing the sack record every season or something? Crazy, just Crazy. At the end of last season even Aldon wasnt good enough for some. Brooks is a great and underated OLB. We could go back to Lawson....

We have Haralson coming back as well, and we have a couple unprovens on the roster as well. An OLB may be drafted, but it is certainly a position that is much less of a need than most other needs on the roster. Our LB core is the best in the league, Be greatful.

We as a team were 14th in the league in sacks in a passing league and 31st in interceptions and we had a grand total of 16 turnovers last year. If the outside linebackers aren't suppose to supply the pass rush in this defense, who is? Good luck finding another J.J. Watt to put at DE. We need some depth behind Brooks and Smith, and in my opinion, there is no way in hell that Ahmad Brooks has done nearly enough to be the 2ndd highest paid player on our roster behind Carlos Rogers. IMO, Brooks and Rogers are in the same boat. They'll need to restructure, or we will need replacements.
[ Edited by NTeply49 on Apr 9, 2013 at 10:20 PM ]

maybe 2nd round

Where are you looking? most have him in there... NFL.com is just one of many and showed up first on a google search with him at #3. Since the senior bowl and combine he has shot up just about every board I've seen. He was off the radar for awhile because of the pathetic team he was on, but he's definitely known now.

walterfootball.com
espns top 5 at each position
nfldraftscout.com
and a bunch more
Share 49ersWebzone