LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 287 users in the forums

Who understands the salary cap/rookie scale?

Under the new rookie scale players are now more affordable. But I recently read that we have about 1.27 million in cap space.

Kaepernick was drafted 34th? overall and he signed a 4 yr contract for about 5.1 million.
AJ Jenkins was drafted 30th? overall and he signed a 4 yr contract for about 6.9 million.

Those 2 contracts are basically what are first 2 picks will look like for this draft with the 31st and 34th pick.

For Kaepernick's contract, his first year he made $375,000 in base salary. He then got $556,688 in signing bonuses. That's $931,688 total for the 2011 year. My question(s) is which part of his salary or a rookies salary counts against the cap. Is it just the base? Or the overall total?

Also if the Niners only have 1.27 million left, that's about 5 players they can afford at the base contracts, unless we cut some players.

If anyone has more accurate knowledge of this can you please help me understand. Basically I'm wanting to know how we afford 13 draft picks with the money we have left or is this a sign that we will trade picks away or cut more players to free up cap space??
Pretty sure the bonus is prorated, so a fraction of it counts for every year if the duration of he contract, unless they get more complicated, like they did with AJ's contract. The base salary always counts toward that year's cap.

Beyond that, you're better off contacting AB. He's the cap jedi around these parts. The financial Force is strong with him. If he can't set you straight, you're out of luck. I'd send a trash can-looking droid if I was you.

"Help me, AB-wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."
Where is AB where you need him
I think you can expect justin smiths contract to be renegotiated or extended to 3 years.. That can cut a huge number off of this years contract. Plus i dont think we know exactly what anthony davis' cap number for this year is either. That may help. But something will happen to free up some space most teams want about 3 million room to maneuver during the season.
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Pretty sure the bonus is prorated, so a fraction of it counts for every year if the duration of he contract, unless they get more complicated, like they did with AJ's contract. The base salary always counts toward that year's cap.

Beyond that, you're better off contacting AB. He's the cap jedi around these parts. The financial Force is strong with him. If he can't set you straight, you're out of luck. I'd send a trash can-looking droid if I was you.

"Help me, AB-wan Kenobi; you're my only hope."

You already answered the question, bro. Rookie pool is part of the overall salary cap.

The rookie pool is indeed apart of the salary cap overall, not separate. We still need cap room after I figure out Davis' new extension.

Everything counts against the cap, it's base salary, plus prorated bonuses, workout and roster bonuses, and any likely to be earned incentives.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
The rookie pool is indeed apart of the salary cap overall, not separate. We still need cap room after I figure out Davis' new extension.

Everything counts against the cap, it's base salary, plus prorated bonuses, workout and roster bonuses, and any likely to be earned incentives.
So using Kaep as an example because he was the 34th pick... Does that mean for his first year, the $931,688 counted against the cap. And if that is correct, can we assume that our first 2 picks will make something similar their first year? Won't we be over the cap with our 31st and 34th pick unless we restructure contracts or cut some guys?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to wrap my head around it.

Ok so how do why do we not do more Donald Strickland type moves?? Didn't they kinda cheat his salary scale and create more cap room? It was some kind of incentive based deal
[ Edited by Donnies49ers on Apr 10, 2013 at 9:58 AM ]
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

So using Kaep as an example because he was the 34th pick... Does that mean for his first year, the $931,688 counted against the cap. And if that is correct, can we assume that our first 2 picks will make something similar their first year? Won't we be over the cap with our 31st and 34th pick unless we restructure contracts or cut some guys?

Correct, he counted the 931,688 in year 1 against the cap. We will need to make a move to get more cap room, because of the fact we are only 1M under, so expect someone to take one for the team, either Vernon, Goodwin, Justin on an extension, or maybe Rogers.
Originally posted by Donnies49ers:

Ok so how do why do we not do more Donald Strickland type moves?? Didn't they kinda cheat his salary scale and create more cap room? It was some kind of incentive based deal

That was allowed under the old CBA as a loop. Now it's called carrying over cap room. and Credits for likely to be earned incentives that end up not being earned, like Alex Smith's $1M in 2012 which we got a $1M credit for 2013.

Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Correct, he counted the 931,688 in year 1 against the cap. We will need to make a move to get more cap room, because of the fact we are only 1M under, so expect someone to take one for the team, either Vernon, Goodwin, Justin on an extension, or maybe Rogers.
Cool! I think I got it... Do you know when the deadline is to be under the cap...or can we draft all 13 players at the end of April and not worry about restructuring vetrens contracts until we want to sign the rookies?
If im not mistaken You can carry your rookies on your cap without penalty against it until final cuts, or some time toward the end of pre-season. Normally by then a team would have completed their restructuring and made the majority of their cuts trimming the cap# down a bit allowing the rookies in under without issue.
Share 49ersWebzone