There are 166 users in the forums

Kriz' one and only mock

• krizay
  • Veteran
This is a defense strong class. Which means there is more defense to draft than offense. Which means you can still get good defensive players later. reminds me of 06. Everyone talking about how deep the TE position was in the draft. Then we go and take the 1st one. Whicch negated the depth of the class.
Too many DB's 7...

1 S Jonathan Cyprien (GOLDSON)
2 TE Tyler Eifert (WALKER)
2 DE Margus Hunt
3 WR Da'Rick Rogers (MOSS)
3 NT John Jenkins (SOPOAGA)
4 CB/KR Tyrann Mathieu (GINN KR/PR)
4 SS JJ WILCOX (WHITNER 2014)
5 OG Travis Bond (KILGORE OR LOONEY C 2014)
6 K Dustin Hopkins (DAWSON 2014)
6 OLB Travis Johnson (Haggans)
7 ILB Jake Knott (GRANT)
7 RB/FB Zach Line (DIXON)
7 TE RYAN Often
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
I like the philosophy to stock up on corners and safeties
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by teeohh:
I like the philosophy to stock up on corners and safeties

it's are weakest part. he likes compition. not all picks will be hits. so the more you take the better chhance you have. with it already considerrred a weakness we apparetly don't like the "depth" guys if they're asked to play.

that was my miindset
I would be pissed if we took Allen and Ertz with our first two picks. Both will be scrubs.
  • teeohh
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xela510:
I would be pissed if we took Allen and Ertz with our first two picks. Both will be scrubs.

Why?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SSF49er:
Too many DB's 7...

1 S Jonathan Cyprien (GOLDSON)
2 TE Tyler Eifert (WALKER)
2 DE Margus Hunt
3 WR Da'Rick Rogers (MOSS)
3 NT John Jenkins (SOPOAGA)
4 CB/KR Tyrann Mathieu (GINN KR/PR)
4 SS JJ WILCOX (WHITNER 2014)
5 OG Travis Bond (KILGORE OR LOONEY C 2014)
6 K Dustin Hopkins (DAWSON 2014)
6 OLB Travis Johnson (Haggans)
7 ILB Jake Knott (GRANT)
7 RB/FB Zach Line (DIXON)
7 TE RYAN Often

Very nice, you cover everything and most importantly, you remembered we need a kicker.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Great job !! First off, I am just happy to see finally there is someone who thinks on my wavelength and is bold enough to step out of the mould to draft 2 offensive players with our top picks (instead of burning the picks just to add depth on the D-line) !!

The fact is "offense wins championships" these days and I am of the belief we are just a couple of weapons away in getting us over the hump. What we need are playmakers who can contribute right off the bat to put us in the best position to win football games.

I am just going to comment on the top 3 picks :

31st - Justin Hunter WR - Likewise, I would draft a WR too, the only difference my choice is Justin Hunter. Aside from the rationale you mentioned, to me first and foremost, I believe we need a legit tall deep threat wideout who can stretch the field and can go up top to compete for the ball. Justin Hunter is a playmaker and at 6'4" he fits the bill perfectly.

34th - Zach Ertz TE - Same as you. Tyler Eifert would have been gone in the 1st. To me, Eifert and Ertz are very close, so is hardly a drop-off if at all. First of all, it is imperative we replace Delanie and we need someone not only can block but can contribute offensively. I consider Zach Ertz as an upgrade to Delanie simply because of his amazing hands. This kid is bonafide playmaker.

61st (which may require trading up to early 2nd) - David Amerson CB - Same as you. Eric Reid would have been gone in the 1st. Forget about safety vs corner for the moment, as a DB he is right at the top with Reid.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Originally posted by krizay:
This is a defense strong class. Which means there is more defense to draft than offense. Which means you can still get good defensive players later. reminds me of 06. Everyone talking about how deep the TE position was in the draft. Then we go and take the 1st one. Whicch negated the depth of the class.

...and thank god we drafted Vernon. Guys that get drafted in later rounds don't drop to later rounds because of great depth at their positions. They drop because they weren't rated high enough.

If defensive players are rated higher, most teams will just go ahead and draft the defensive player and fill a need on offense with another player.

If Niners draft offensive players with their 1st two picks, it will be because they are rated higher than defensive players. It will certainly not be because the defensive class is deep so they can get good defensive players later. That's a horrible strategy.
[ Edited by 49ersMyLife on Apr 10, 2013 at 2:48 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
...and thank god we drafted Vernon. Guys that get drafted in later rounds don't drop to later rounds because of great depth at their positions. They drop because they weren't rated high enough.

If defensive players are rated higher, most teams will just go ahead and draft the defensive player and fill a need on offense with another player.

If Niners draft offensive players with their 1st two picks, it will be because they are rated higher than defensive players. It will certainly not be because the defensive class is deep so they can get good defensive players later. That's a horrible strategy.

I would argue if the 9ers draft offensive players with their top 2 picks, it would be because Baalke and Harbaugh are going with a "win now" strategy before our current crop of star players from the 2005-2007 draft class start to decline, namely Frank, Vernon and Pat. I really believe we are just a couple of offensive weapons away from getting us over the hump. Plus, "defense doesn't win championships" anymore.

• KK49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by xela510:

they r not bad players but i was hoping for defensive players with the first 3 picks.... but if they r the BPA , u dont have a choice but to pick them.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KK49:
they r not bad players but i was hoping for defensive players with the first 3 picks.... but if they r the BPA , u dont have a choice but to pick them.

I couldn't disagree more. I am not afraid to think outside of the box and go all out on the offensive side of the ball. WR, TE then DB and D-line.

The simple rationale is we MUST win now !! There is no room and more importantly time to muck about anymore. We are not going to use a top pick just to add depth on the D-line. We need playmakers that can help us win from the word go !!

I think the bigger discussion is on the realization that defense doesn't win championships anymore. We saw it right in front of our eyes in the playoffs.
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersMyLife:
Originally posted by krizay:

They drop because of supply and demand. If there is an abundance of guys at a certain position and not all teams are looking at said positions, then good guys will drop. which is my point.

It's all about what's all left and what you can get later. Getting the #3-5 WR and the 7th-8th best DT is ebtter than getting the 6th best DT and the 8th best WR.

why? because the difference between the the 3-5 WR and 8h best Wr is a greater drop off than the 6th best DT and the 8th. In a deep DEFENSIVE draft. Now if this was a deep OFFENSIVE class. then yea it would be wiser to take the higher rated DT and wait on the WR. As the drop off there would then be greater. * DISCLAIMER* JUST USING THOSE POSITION RANKINGS FOR ARGUMENT PURPOSES

You can't always just take the higher rated guy on your board. You have to see what positions you are targeting and what's left. Plus who will be available at your next selection.
[ Edited by krizay on Apr 10, 2013 at 8:54 AM ]
I feel that you are under the assumption we will not resign Brown/Asomougha, will release Rogers/Whitner, and neither Robinson/Spillman will be FS material?
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Crazy49er1313:
I feel that you are under the assumption we will not resign Brown/Asomougha, will release Rogers/Whitner, and neither Robinson/Spillman will be FS material?

It's just clearly our weakest link. Plus where i have us drafting these guys they're not sure things. but by drafting multiple of them. ATLEAST one has to stand out right? . Open up the competition and may best man win. If the players we have here now are/were the answer. We wouldnt be talking about needing CB's and safeties, NO?
Share 49ersWebzone