LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 150 users in the forums

I think JH & TB will use this draft to build around Kaepernick

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NTeply49:
Beautiful. Great points, and I've been thinking the same thing. Everyone is so panicked with our DL but it's not as bad as people make it out to be, especially with the signing of Dorsey and the ridiculous depth at the safety and nose tackle position. We should draft 2 wide outs this year because there is a lot of questions and a need for competition at the position.

Thanks !! Especially when you consider the 9ers only have $1.7 mil of cap space left, priorty has to be placed on drafting impact players that can help us win right now and not just someone who can add depth to our D-line. Given the lack of cap space, is all about quality as opposed to quantity, either trade up to get even better players such as a Cordarrelle Patterson or trade away our lower round picks to stockpile picks for next year. I believe Justin Hunter and Zach Ertz are already plenty good enough. If you want another receiver, there are still some gems in the later rounds, Marcus Davis is one who is projected to go in the 7th and we have to use up those compensatory picks.
We do not need to draft a WR with #31 or #34. We already have Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams AND last years 1st pick Jenkins.

Drafting a WR that early would mean we are 100% giving up on Jenkins already. CK7 has weapons around him already - Crabs, Davis, Boldin, rbs. Its the same players as last season except subtract Walker (no big deal) and replace Moss with Boldin.

Defense is where the picks need to be. You cant rely on Smith bros, willis, bowman etc to play 90%+ of all snaps all year again. Offensive line is the only position worth drafting early on the offensive side of the ball (assuming we value the player there).
I agree Baalke will draft a TE, OT and WR, but I don't necessarily agree on a big RB. Harbaugh has a good stable of RB's now...and although many don't like Dixon, he performed well when he got the rock. He finally learned how to hit the hole aggressively. Plus, he's a good ST guy. I see them taking one of the versatile DL early...and a FS. A TE could be among the 1st 3 picks, depending on who's available. WRT WR's, many have given up on Jenkins already, but Coach hasn't, and that's what really matters. He just hasn't been on the field enough to really evaluate him fairly. Coach is also very high on Ricardo Lockette...thinking he's ready to emerge. I'd like to see Baalke draft a stout WR...maybe Patton or Rogers-types. They could take a QB, but if TB does what I hope he will, he'll only come out of the draft with @ 7 picks. With McCoy on board now, it's not a lock they'll use one of those picks on a QB. They can always sign an UDFA for the throwing arm/PS competition. Last year, the offense surged in the 2nd half while the defense didn't. That's why I think TB will get Harbaugh the beef and versatility needed to prevent another DL lapse, another pass rusher to augment Aldon and Brooks, a FS and possibly a SS, although I can see Dahl moving into the SS spot after Whitner leaves in 2014. They'll also get a good-sized CB. So, with 7 picks, I see 4 defensive, three offensive. I also see Baalke trading up or down to end up with those 7 picks in the first 3 rds.
I think a powerbacl, te, and wr would do the trick. I lovw our d. I dont want to neglect it but it seems like our offense is going to be our bread and butter. Wr just resigned AD. Jed York was on NFL Live today. He said he's excited for next season because the team has had an entire offseason to prepare with kaep so i think that means they're doing to bring him at least a strong te and a big rb that can catch.the ball. Man we're in such a good position. We can address the offense and the defense easily.
This Draft should be Deeline heavy in 1st 2 rounds or im gonna be sad. We have 6 picks in the top 131 so we atleast need 3 of those 6 to be defensive future starters and then maybe a nice H-back type to replace Delanie
I personally feel we will draft equal amount of talent for both sides of the ball ....with a couple of surprises too
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I agree Baalke will draft a TE, OT and WR, but I don't necessarily agree on a big RB. Harbaugh has a good stable of RB's now...and although many don't like Dixon, he performed well when he got the rock. He finally learned how to hit the hole aggressively. Plus, he's a good ST guy. I see them taking one of the versatile DL early...and a FS. A TE could be among the 1st 3 picks, depending on who's available. WRT WR's, many have given up on Jenkins already, but Coach hasn't, and that's what really matters. He just hasn't been on the field enough to really evaluate him fairly. Coach is also very high on Ricardo Lockette...thinking he's ready to emerge. I'd like to see Baalke draft a stout WR...maybe Patton or Rogers-types. They could take a QB, but if TB does what I hope he will, he'll only come out of the draft with @ 7 picks. With McCoy on board now, it's not a lock they'll use one of those picks on a QB. They can always sign an UDFA for the throwing arm/PS competition. Last year, the offense surged in the 2nd half while the defense didn't. That's why I think TB will get Harbaugh the beef and versatility needed to prevent another DL lapse, another pass rusher to augment Aldon and Brooks, a FS and possibly a SS, although I can see Dahl moving into the SS spot after Whitner leaves in 2014. They'll also get a good-sized CB. So, with 7 picks, I see 4 defensive, three offensive. I also see Baalke trading up or down to end up with those 7 picks in the first 3 rds.

I was with you until the bolded. Dahl is no strong safety he is a weak tackler who spent more time out of the box than any other safety in the NFL.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
I personally feel we will draft equal amount of talent for both sides of the ball ....with a couple of surprises too

Well, I don't think "equal amount" is the issue of contention here, is about which side of the ball gets the top picks.
I don't have a clue who Baalke/JH will pick.

I can't recall any posts putting Aldo, Kap, Culliver, Miller on thir lists. Same thing last year - AJ- who?

Whoever they pcik I'm certain there will be surprises and more surprises.

I'm all in for DLine then S/CB, then TE - I like that guy Escaobar.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
We do not need to draft a WR with #31 or #34. We already have Crabtree, Boldin, Manningham, Williams AND last years 1st pick Jenkins.

Drafting a WR that early would mean we are 100% giving up on Jenkins already. CK7 has weapons around him already - Crabs, Davis, Boldin, rbs. Its the same players as last season except subtract Walker (no big deal) and replace Moss with Boldin.

Defense is where the picks need to be. You cant rely on Smith bros, willis, bowman etc to play 90%+ of all snaps all year again. Offensive line is the only position worth drafting early on the offensive side of the ball (assuming we value the player there).

I think you might need to think again :

1) Mario and Kyle are both coming off from ACLs, we don't even know whether they will be ready. Even if they were, would they be 100% or as good as they were last season.

2) Drafting a WR doesn't necessarily we are totally giving up on Jenkins. Ultimately, Jenkins' future lies in his own hands, it is all about performance on the field at the end of the day.

3) If you think losing Delanie is "no big deal" then you probably didn't watch many games last season. Delanie was one of Kaep's favourite targets.

4) Anquan essentially cancels out the departure of Randy in terms of headcount.

So, given the situation on Mario and Kyle plus the loss of Delanie, net net we have lost even more weapons than last season.

Originally posted by pdizo916:
Originally posted by Psinex:
I'm still waiting to see what on earth Baalke was thinking when he drafted A.J. Jenkins. That kid better pan out.

i still think he has a future as a slot receiver. He has the ideal size, shiftiness, speed, and route running to be a productive....

So how is he different from Kyle Williams? Anyone care to explain that to me? Can get knocked down and off his routes easily?
Originally posted by Rascal:
I think you might need to think again :

1) Mario and Kyle are both coming off from ACLs, we don't even know whether they will be ready. Even if they were, would they be 100% or as good as they were last season.

2) Drafting a WR doesn't necessarily we are totally giving up on Jenkins. Ultimately, Jenkins' future lies in his own hands, it is all about performance on the field at the end of the day.

3) If you think losing Delanie is "no big deal" then you probably didn't watch many games last season. Delanie was one of Kaep's favourite targets.

4) Anquan essentially cancels out the departure of Randy in terms of headcount.

So, given the situation on Mario and Kyle plus the loss of Delanie, net net we have lost even more weapons than last season.

I am not saying we dont need to draft a WR entirely, just we dont need to draft one with #31 or #34.

In response to your comment "Delanie was one of Kaeps fav targets last year", lets check out the stats:

Delanie Walker 2012 San Francisco 49ers 16 games 21 rec 344 yds 3 TD, 1 lost fumble.

If you dont think we can replace that production later in the draft, come on man!!
Walker was kind of a jack of all trades on offense without actually being really good at anything specific. I doubt we will even think of him by mid season.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Canadian9erfan:
I am not saying we dont need to draft a WR entirely, just we dont need to draft one with #31 or #34.

In response to your comment "Delanie was one of Kaeps fav targets last year", lets check out the stats:

Delanie Walker 2012 San Francisco 49ers 16 games 21 rec 344 yds 3 TD, 1 lost fumble.

If you dont think we can replace that production later in the draft, come on man!!
Walker was kind of a jack of all trades on offense without actually being really good at anything specific. I doubt we will even think of him by mid season.

I am going with WR at 31st and TE at 34th. I am not going to spend my top picks on some D-lineman to add depth. You can add depth in the later rounds. We only have $1.7 mil of cap space left which means every dollar counts. I want to spend it on the offensive side of the ball on impact players that can help us win football games right away. The objective this year has to be "must win". After this season, I would imagine the window will be closed at least for this current team (with the star nucleus of Frank, Vernon and Pat) which would be a waste of talents and opportunities. Also, I would just like to highlight to you "defense doesn't win championships" anymore, those days are long gone.
NT to start not just depth. DE to rotate for Justin/Ray Mac.

WR/S in the 3rd. I like Da'Rick and I think he'll be there in the 3rd.
TYLER EIFERT
Share 49ersWebzone