There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

I think JH & TB will use this draft to build around Kaepernick

We need to pick up a D lineman in the first 3 picks hopefully with one of our first two. I do agree with possibly goin TE in the early rounds considering how many 2 TE sets we run and Celek being a bit of an unknown still.
I have also thought this, almost like opposite day, do the unexpected.

An offensive draft would look like this.

Pick 31- Keenan Allen- Yes he could drop this far.
Pick 34- Zach Ertz/Gavin Escobar- Best TE available.

Pick bottom of 2nd,- Barrety Jones- center/guard/OT played all three in college

Carolinas pick- Lattimore at RB.

Rest of the draft on defense.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I have also thought this, almost like opposite day, do the unexpected.

An offensive draft would look like this.

Pick 31- Keenan Allen- Yes he could drop this far.
Pick 34- Zach Ertz/Gavin Escobar- Best TE available.

Pick bottom of 2nd,- Barrety Jones- center/guard/OT played all three in college

Carolinas pick- Lattimore at RB.

Rest of the draft on defense.
I'm down with this. Barret Jones would make our line even more nasty than it is right now. Keenan Allen is like a faster Anquan Boldin. Ertz or Escobar would be a good grab at 34. Lattimore is my mid round draft crush.
If Eifert falls, I wouldn't be shocked in the slightest to see him be the 49ers 1st round pick. He's basically got everything you want in a TE, blocking ability, reliable hands, good route-runner, great redzone threat. Going from Walker to Eifert would be a major upgrade. For some reason I also wouldn't be shocked to see them draft an offensive lineman early, someone like Barrett Jones of Alabama, or another WR, maybe a guy like Deandre Hopkins or Quinton Patton.


Realistically the only positions that I'd be shocked to see them draft in the first three rounds are ILB, K and QB.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 8, 2013 at 9:34 PM ]
Originally posted by gold49digger:
I'm down with this. Barret Jones would make our line even more nasty than it is right now. Keenan Allen is like a faster Anquan Boldin. Ertz or Escobar would be a good grab at 34. Lattimore is my mid round draft crush.

Groce.


I'm totally off the Escobar bandwagon. Dude moves slow as f**k, his 40 times absolutely didn't help his case as he already had looked slow on film to begin with. He's a plodder with heavy feet, not a fan of his whatsoever.
That is exactly what I have been saying and I have put forward the argument elsewhere that "defense doesn't win championships" anymore. I also brought to light with our particular situation with our key stars from the 2005-2007 draft class such as Frank, Vernon and Pat aging, there is no doubt in my mind that we will have to "win now". With that in mind, we will have to instill a "sense of urgency" in whatever we so and needless to say inclusive of the way we approach the draft.

Having seen what happened in the playoffs, we can conclude no matter how stout your D is, a great team with a high-powered offense is still going to score on you and even score on you big. Doesn't matter whether is us or even the Seahawks with their top secondary unit. So, my belief is that in those situations, you will need an explosive offense that can put points on the board and ultimately outscore your opponent to win ball games.

Then, you take a look at our offense, people say you got to be kidding, we have a tonne of receivers and one of the best tight ends in the league in Vernon. Nothing is what it seems on the surface. Yes, we do have a lot of receivers, but then you look closer, apart from Crab and Anquan, Mario and Kyle are coming off from their ACLs, we don't even know whether they will be ready and even if they were whether they would be 100% and as good as they were last season. That only leaves AJ Jenkins who is still a big question mark, Chad Hall and Ricardo Lockette. That to me is not a convincing propostion as far as wideouts are concerned. Then you look at the TEs, yes we have Vernon, but Delanie is a huge loss given how frequent he was targetted by Kaep last season. So, net net you could argue there probably will be a drop of production even with the addition of Anquan when in fact we need to boost our explosiveness with our "win now" objective.

So, having said all that, I believe we will need to draft a deep threat wideout and a TE who not only can block but to produce offensively. Based on the way our picks lie and without any major rejig and trading up, I would allocate the top 2 picks as follows :

1) 31st - Justin Hunter (who can be our deep ball receiver which we badly need to make full use of Kaep's arm strength)
2) 34th - Zach Ertz (a huge playmaker who can make any catches to present a scary TE tandem attack with Vernon)

RB would be nice too if we want to draft an heir apparent to Frank. But, to me this is a lower in priorty than WR and TE. But, if we did draft a RB, I totally agree we should go after a big power back (much like the Marshawn Lynch type) and based on this draft that person is De' Veon Bell.

Note, I am not saying not to address our defensive issues at all, we can still trade up our 61st to get a top DB such as David Amerson and then address the D-line in the 3rd.

While I strongly agree with your startegic thinking, I just doubt Baalke and Harbaugh will be so bold, aggressive and single-minded in going all out (which is what is required) for this "win now" approach. Cos let's face it, the safer and expected option will be to improve the D to present a more balanced roster.
I would just like to add, in light of the latest report surfacing that the 9ers only have a cap space of $1.7 mil, doesn't that further support the argument we should focus the draft on positions that can contribute most to help the 9ers win right away as opposed to addressing depth issues such as the D-line ?

Something to think about perhaps ?
The game has evolved to high offensive production. On defense the name of the game is rush the passer. I think the team will go defense early, there are enough tight ends available in round three. If the team goes for a wide out early it won't be a good statement on the AJ Jenkinns selection last year. Baalke has so much manuverablity in this draft I can't wait to see what he does.
Originally posted by RishikeshA:
The game has evolved to high offensive production. On defense the name of the game is rush the passer. I think the team will go defense early, there are enough tight ends available in round three. If the team goes for a wide out early it won't be a good statement on the AJ Jenkinns selection last year. Baalke has so much manuverablity in this draft I can't wait to see what he does.


That is what I am saying, if the offensive production is going to high anyway, wouldn't that make it more critical to ensure our offensive production is even higher than that of our opponent ?

I also agree that a possible reason for not drafting a WR high will be like admitting AJ Jenkins was a bad pick. But, here is the thing, is Baalke and Harbaugh big enough to accept a possible mistake (if Jenkins indeed fails to improve this season) and rectify it accordungly ? What could be worse ? Knowing you might have made a mistake and yet not doing anything about it. Just think about the possible scenario here for the moment, if Mario and Kyle are not ready or 100%, a lot will have to lie on the shoulders of AJ Jenkins if he is our 3rd receiver, be it fair or not. Other than that, we only have Ricardo Lockette and Chad Hall left. You have to realise a lot is riding on this season, if we still can't get it done, this might probably be it with this team (based on the star nucleus of Frank, Vernon and Pat). A very different team might have to take over in the quest for another Super Bowl after this season or at most the season after next.
I would really like us to grab Tyler Eifert if hes available....there just seems to be a leveling of talent at DT and DB positions with a lot of depth that we could consider looking at offensive guys earlier than what people might think. At 31 and 34 I think we could go BPA or even trade out of one of those for a possible early 1st rd pick in 2014.
Eifert @ 31 would be ideal! Tyler & Vernon would make for a better version of Patriots 2 TE offense!
Originally posted by Rascal:
That is exactly what I have been saying and I have put forward the argument elsewhere that "defense doesn't win championships" anymore. I also brought to light with our particular situation with our key stars from the 2005-2007 draft class such as Frank, Vernon and Pat aging, there is no doubt in my mind that we will have to "win now". With that in mind, we will have to instill a "sense of urgency" in whatever we so and needless to say inclusive of the way we approach the draft.

Having seen what happened in the playoffs, we can conclude no matter how stout your D is, a great team with a high-powered offense is still going to score on you and even score on you big. Doesn't matter whether is us or even the Seahawks with their top secondary unit. So, my belief is that in those situations, you will need an explosive offense that can put points on the board and ultimately outscore your opponent to win ball games.

Then, you take a look at our offense, people say you got to be kidding, we have a tonne of receivers and one of the best tight ends in the league in Vernon. Nothing is what it seems on the surface. Yes, we do have a lot of receivers, but then you look closer, apart from Crab and Anquan, Mario and Kyle are coming off from their ACLs, we don't even know whether they will be ready and even if they were whether they would be 100% and as good as they were last season. That only leaves AJ Jenkins who is still a big question mark, Chad Hall and Ricardo Lockette. That to me is not a convincing propostion as far as wideouts are concerned. Then you look at the TEs, yes we have Vernon, but Delanie is a huge loss given how frequent he was targetted by Kaep last season. So, net net you could argue there probably will be a drop of production even with the addition of Anquan when in fact we need to boost our explosiveness with our "win now" objective.

So, having said all that, I believe we will need to draft a deep threat wideout and a TE who not only can block but to produce offensively. Based on the way our picks lie and without any major rejig and trading up, I would allocate the top 2 picks as follows :

1) 31st - Justin Hunter (who can be our deep ball receiver which we badly need to make full use of Kaep's arm strength)
2) 34th - Zach Ertz (a huge playmaker who can make any catches to present a scary TE tandem attack with Vernon)

RB would be nice too if we want to draft an heir apparent to Frank. But, to me this is a lower in priorty than WR and TE. But, if we did draft a RB, I totally agree we should go after a big power back (much like the Marshawn Lynch type) and based on this draft that person is De' Veon Bell.

Note, I am not saying not to address our defensive issues at all, we can still trade up our 61st to get a top DB such as David Amerson and then address the D-line in the 3rd.

While I strongly agree with your startegic thinking, I just doubt Baalke and Harbaugh will be so bold, aggressive and single-minded in going all out (which is what is required) for this "win now" approach. Cos let's face it, the safer and expected option will be to improve the D to present a more balanced roster.

Beautiful. Great points, and I've been thinking the same thing. Everyone is so panicked with our DL but it's not as bad as people make it out to be, especially with the signing of Dorsey and the ridiculous depth at the safety and nose tackle position. We should draft 2 wide outs this year because there is a lot of questions and a need for competition at the position.
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Eifert @ 31 would be ideal! Tyler & Vernon would make for a better version of Patriots 2 TE offense!


Eifert would be nice, but the chances are he will be gone in the 1st. That is why I have Ertz at 34th instead, I don't consider that as a major drop-off, Ertz and Vernon can still be a scary TD tandem without a doubt !!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 21,946
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Eifert @ 31 would be ideal! Tyler & Vernon would make for a better version of Patriots 2 TE offense!


Eifert would be nice, but the chances are he will be gone in the 1st. That is why I have Ertz at 34th instead, I don't consider that as a major drop-off, Ertz and Vernon can still be a scary TD tandem without a doubt !!


Ertz and Vernon would make a scary combo.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Eifert @ 31 would be ideal! Tyler & Vernon would make for a better version of Patriots 2 TE offense!


Eifert would be nice, but the chances are he will be gone in the 1st. That is why I have Ertz at 34th instead, I don't consider that as a major drop-off, Ertz and Vernon can still be a scary TD tandem without a doubt !!

I haven't seen enough of Eifert or Ertz to make a decision. From everything I've read Eifert is the superior prospect. My only reservation is that the TE position has been filled by really good players in the latter rounds. Gronkowski went in the 2nd round at 42, Hernandez went in the 4th at 113, the Saints TE Jimmy Graham went in the 3rd round at 95, except for Vernon they don't go in the first. My philosophy has always been the QB makes the receiver. If a receiver can hold onto the ball Kaep will make him a star.
...