LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 280 users in the forums

I had a dream we took a Center with one of our 2nd round picks

Just curious were U California dreaming about ... Schwenke???
  • dj43
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
That's more like a nightmare...seriously, I see no reason to draft a C or OG, for that matter, at least nowhere near that early. If they cut Goodwin (most likely 1 June or after), then Looney or Kilgore's next up. I like Looney to take over...he's a beast, would give us the most potential to dominate the interior of the OL more so than any player since Newberry in his prime. Joe's also very smart, a good prerequisite to play the position. That'd leave Kilgore to b/u C and OG. Biggest OL need is a swing OT. They might take an interior OL at some point, but it should be toward the end of the draft, not at the beginning.

IMO, Looney was a good pick. The fact he was injured and therefore not pushed into playing before he was ready worked well. He has the physical tools and the fact he was able to watch and study Goodwin was a plus. Learning to read defenses and make the correct blocking adjustments is critical, especially in today's very complex blitz schemes.

Center is the second most important position in the offense. It is rare that a rookie would come in and take over first year. It usually happens when the team is desperate for an upgrade and the guy must play. In the case of the 49ers that was not necessary. Looney is the guy that was drafted and allowed to learn the position slowly.

As you said, drafting for depth is important, however, in the case of center, I would not expect Baalke to pick one unless he felt there was serious value there. It would also have to be someone who could also play another position.

It is more likely they try to push some of those extra picks into next season rather than pick a marginal guy who would not likely make the team anyway. I doubt more than 4 or 5 rookies would make the roster and only 2 or 3 of those be on the 45.
Originally posted by NYCNINER:

In the third round if it happens. He would be the only center worth drafting at that point.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
Originally posted by NYCNINER:

In the third round if it happens. He would be the only center worth drafting at that point.

an added bonus for taking schwenke...in rainy and wet conditions, Kaepernick can dry his hands on Schwenke's pony tail
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I wonder if the Steelers would trade their starting center for our 1st round?
i have a second round grade on Schwenke.
Originally posted by 9moon:
I wonder if the Steelers would trade their starting center for our 1st round?

Not going to happen, lol
Is Schwenke a good "Long Snapper"...?
I wouldn't be completely against it since Goodwin's salary is ridiculous and that could be a way to free up some cap space.
  • buhda
  • Veteran
Yep.... Cut or restructure..... Dude making 5 mill. this coming season...

I would actually be happy about taking a center in the draft if it was our #93 and Barrett Jones was still available. I would be happy with this pick at that point in the draft.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by hofer36:
funny I also had a dream that niners took a center in the second round..but in my dream I banged the center's sister...

i dont know that there s a center in draft worth a 2nd rd grade

nice

MaaaHoHoHo slaka wanyo um Jedi! Mahohoho
Originally posted by loyalniner:
I would actually be happy about taking a center in the draft if it was our #93 and Barrett Jones was still available. I would be happy with this pick at that point in the draft.

I'd be fine with Jones or Frederick at 93.
Share 49ersWebzone