Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

1st 3 Picks (49ers)

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Thorougly dislike it.

DL is a necessity - period!

good lord , this is the truth x infinity. if we stand pat and even if we trade up, the first three picks should be two d linemen and a safety.
Originally posted by 49Perspectives:
Originally posted by blm7754:
Pick 1: Cyprein or Reid (FS)
Pick 2: Austin (WR)
Pick 3: Matheiu(CB)

Thoughts?

These are downright terrible picks. Austin won't be there at 34, and he isn't quite what we need at WR. Matheiu would be a reach at 61. I like Reid at 31, but we would get better value for that pick by grabbing a DL. There are plenty of good safeties in rounds 2-3.

Austin is a deep threat, we defintely can use one. Matheiu is going to be a very good player in this league, you'll become a fan. I don't think that's a reach for a quality starting CB.

We drafted AJ Jenkins to be a deep threat. He certainly has that ability. Both are small/weak and Jenkins is already a 49er. I'd give Jenkins at least another year before spending a high draft pick on someone like Austin. I hope we pick a big & fast WR like DaRick Rogers, DeAndre Hopkins, or even Quinton Patton (not real big, but a deep threat with average size).

Matheiu won't be a starting CB. He'll be a nickle back that comes in to cover the slot. Personally, I'd prefer B.W. Webb to fill that role... but both guys should be 3rd round picks.
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by glorydayz:
Could anyone see us grabbing two FS in this draft?

For example; Reid & Cyprien?

Why?

Because we just lost the starter, and we have 13 draft picks in a deep FS draft class. Had we addressed the position last year we would have a next guy up situation.

Just a thought, but why not?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Why?

Because we just lost the starter, and we have 13 draft picks in a deep FS draft class. Had we addressed the position last year we would have a next guy up situation.

I understand drafting one, but why draft another one? I guess maybe in the 7th round they could draft another one. Is that what your talking about?
[ Edited by mayo49 on Apr 8, 2013 at 11:37 AM ]

Why?

I understand drafting one, but why draft another one? I guess maybe in the 7th round they could draft another one. Is that what your talking about?
I doubt Reid or Cyprien is around in the 7th round.

I'm talking about two of the top 5 FS, why not grab two of them? We will be right where we are now if there is an injury.

Once again, just a thought.
[ Edited by glorydayz on Apr 8, 2013 at 11:41 AM ]

Thoughts?

I would love Austin but there isnt a chance he lasts until the 2nd rd. Mathieu would be a big reach if we took him in the 2nd rd.

Jessie Williams
Jonathon Cyprien
Jamie Collins

I would be happy with these 3
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Why?

So, you want to draft both Reid and Cyprien back to back? Your crazy, man. That's not very realistic.
I like Celek as our 2nd TE

Celek can't catch.

Why?

So, you want to draft both Reid and Cyprien back to back? Your crazy, man. That's not very realistic.

Wouldn't need to draft them back to back, Cyprien is a 2nd rounder. We have a first, two seconds, and two thirds. You wouldn't need to go 31 & 34.

There are also other combinations at the position including Cyprien and the kid from Fresno state.
[ Edited by glorydayz on Apr 8, 2013 at 12:00 PM ]
1. FS
2. DL
3. DB (bpa)

Thoughts?

Not only will Austin be gone by 34th, I am not even sure you can get Cyprien or Reid at 31st. As for Mathieu, thanks but no thanks, just too short, small and weak !!

My 1st 3 will be :

1) Justin Hunter
2) Zach Ertz
3) David Amerson (but, will definitely require trading up higher than 61st in the 2nd)
We have Aldon, McDonald, Justin Smith, Dorsey... in all gonesty I'd rather sign
Originally posted by cciowa:
Thorougly dislike it.

good lord , this is the truth x infinity. if we stand pat and even if we trade up, the first three picks should be two d linemen and a safety.

I'd rather sign Freeney than draft a DL.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I like Celek as our 2nd TE

Celek can't catch.

I personally disagree.
I've posted elsewhere, without trading up, we end up DL, DL, FS. BPA? C'mon, at 31 and 34 , BPAs are going to be DL, DL, followed by a FS, but we would have to move up substantially for a first tier FS/CB. So put me down with cc...again. On a need basis, we also go DL,DL, and FS.

Only question is are 3 really inferior teams going to go QB in first rd, for some very able 2nd round and maybe a 3rd round QBs? I think Raids, Bills, Cards, eagles, and the way they are going, even the Browns could get in on a QB in first rd....drafted wholly by heart, not by head. Not all 5 mind you, but very easily 3 could go QB, when the QBs all look like 2nd rd, and some look 3rd rd.
We have Aldon, McDonald, Justin Smith, Dorsey... in all gonesty I'd rather sign
Originally posted by cciowa:
Thorougly dislike it.

I'd rather sign Freeney than draft a DL.

Really? You want to sign an old player who would never be a fit for a 3-4 DE rather than focus on our DL in the draft? Um.. OK.