There are 160 users in the forums

Honey Badger at the FS position??

Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
How many 5-7 FS do you see in the NFL...zero. There's a reason for that...as the last bastion of the defense, you have to defend against big WR's, TE's, RB's, whoever comes in your territory. Those of you who're banging the gong for him to play FS are really dreaming. I wouldn't mind if Baalke drafted him...but only after he's taken a true FS and a big CB.

Over the course of this thread, Mathieu has gone from his measured height of 5'9" down to 5'8" and now to 5'7".

Given the rate at which he's shrinking, I say we pass.

This right here. Dude has last reported weighed in at 195 and is 5'9" (1.75 m) . Well Earl Thomas is 5'10" 202 as well. People need to get their numbers straight.
I think the CB the rams took last year with all the off field problems (Jenkins) will make the Honey Badger a low first to high second round pick! Jenkins had a pretty good season.

Back to the topic; why would we move that dude to FS? We like big tough DB's that can lay the wood as well as cover.

I would think he would be drafted for his punt return ability if we drafted him.
Originally posted by glorydayz:
I think the CB the rams took last year with all the off field problems (Jenkins) will make the Honey Badger a low first to high second round pick! Jenkins had a pretty good season.

Back to the topic; why would we move that dude to FS? We like big tough DB's that can lay the wood as well as cover.

I would think he would be drafted for his punt return ability if we drafted him.

Totally agree with you. I do not think he will be drafted until the 2nd round because most teams will probably have him circled as a 3rd on their board. I think he is an interchangeable player who can be tried out at both spots. I am not sure if I want him playing FS or not. I just hope we grab Eric Reid or DJ Swearinger.
Earl Thomas is a top notch safety who is only one inch taller than the Honey Badger although 14 lbs heavier and truth be told a lot of niner fans wanted him and he is good, but with that said, not as a second rounder but third rounder or 4th as a CB. Biggest questions are his issues, has he resolved them?

Plus would rather he be the slot corner to cover guys like Harvin and Cruz. I don't know why people don't think he is not strong enough, he played in the SEC, you can't be weak to play and start there. He also forced 6 fumbles his soph year and 5 his freshman year to go along with 2 int each year he played, can't be weak to cause fumbles. Here is another thing to consider, He had 4.5 sacks his Freshman year and 1.5 sacks his sophmore year.

This guy will be worth a third, He ran a 4.46 40 so he is not slow, he also has the added plus of being a returner, so ST as gunner and a returner is a plus. He came in for a visit, so if the niners are convinced he has cleaned up his act, don't cry if the 49ers take him.

I remember Chris Spielman, not athletic, to slow, etc, etc, yet the tape said something else, didn't go high, but was a productive player that went to the pro bowl.
Originally posted by JamesGatz83:
Over the course of this thread, Mathieu has gone from his measured height of 5'9" down to 5'8" and now to 5'7".

Given the rate at which he's shrinking, I say we pass.

Why the hell would we draft a 4'6" guy with a heroin and modelling glue addiction to play FS?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WRATHman44:
Why the hell would we draft a 4'6" guy with a heroin and modelling glue addiction to play FS?

OMG, I'm such a geek, but those two part epoxy mixes are so f**king noxious! Crazy chemical reactions... not only do they give of major toxic fumes that smell awful, they heat up after mixing.

Kinda scary.

I'm gonna go be embarrassed somewhere else now. k bye
so overrated, you guys can do that in next year's madden
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Originally posted by Kolohe:
No thanks to Honey Badger period!!!

I'd never want a 5'8" Safety playing center field. Maybe in the Ivy League but not in the Pro's.

Maybe Bob Sanders a few years ago

Dude was so fragile, it was pathetic, Sanders made Humpty Dumpty look like an Iron Man.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NC49erfan82:
This right here. Dude has last reported weighed in at 195 and is 5'9" (1.75 m) . Well Earl Thomas is 5'10" 202 as well. People need to get their numbers straight.

The dude could only manage a feeble 4 reps on the bench press, man !! Enough said.
Originally posted by maxsmart:
Under-sized? Yes
Athletic? No
Hard hitter? Yes
Good pass defender? No
Drug addict? Maybe
Cool nickname? Yes
Over-rated? YES

Really he's an undersized strong safety, rather than a great pass defender.
Maybe OK pick in 4th rd

Instincts? Great
Playmaker? Yes

He's 5'9". 180 lbs. And a CB.

http://louisianastate.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=8&c=2&nid=748&yr=2011
Originally posted by loyalniner:
He's 5'9". 180 lbs. And a CB.

http://louisianastate.scout.com/a.z?s=107&p=8&c=2&nid=748&yr=2011

No he is not. He is 5'9" 194 lbs to be exact
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=110169&draftyear=2014&genpos=CB
Most mocks I've seen (quite a few), have us taking Reid, Elam or Cyprien. However, another guy I think would be a terrific fit is Phillip Thomas. He's a FS...not a SS they'd hope to coach into the FS position. He has the size, 6-1, 210, range, and production...8 picks w 3 TD's (led nation), 82 tackles (12 for loss), 4 pass break-ups, 4 forced fumbles. The other thing he has is toughness...he came back from a broken leg and dislocated ankle with that production his senior season. He's a playmaker...which is exactly what Harbaugh's looking for.
Whoever gets him will be drafting a return man first and a possible defensive adddition second.
Originally posted by boomer49er:
Whoever gets him will be drafting a return man first and a possible defensive adddition second.

I honestly think he has the short area quickness, tenacity, and instincts to be an improvement over Carlos in the slot, if he gets stronger. I just don't want to roll out two short safeties to be abused by TEs and big WRs. That, and I hear Matthieu sells Meth to preschoolers at church and snorts dried baby souls off the bodies of underage prostitutes. Not sure if he's a gold helmet guy.
Share 49ersWebzone