There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

My 3 Round Mock Draft

BTW, two things, Walsh once said, you can mask a lack of talent on O with good schemes, but on D you need talent to make it work. Plus not only the niners, but the league has shown you can more often get good wr's in the middle of middle of the draft than at the later end of the first. Rice was the best, then maybe Crabtree that the niners got in the modern era. All the rest-went boom bust on us - JJ, Rahuan etc.

As far as Jenkins- well it took TO sometime as did Crabtree. What the FO really thinks well, we will see come draft day.
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I like it but you have some guys like Carradine and Nassib falling farther than I think they will.

I know I had a tough time finding a spot for both players. Couldn't gauge what was a too high spot or too low.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Dion Jordan doesn't fall to 14. He will probably go to Jacksonville at #2.

That would be a mistake IMO, not as high on Jordan as most. I wouldn't draft him over Floyd, Star, and others like Fisher, Milliner.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
Originally posted by BadgerHawk:
I like it but you have some guys like Carradine and Nassib falling farther than I think they will.

I know I had a tough time finding a spot for both players. Couldn't gauge what was a too high spot or too low.
Originally posted by btthepunk:
Dion Jordan doesn't fall to 14. He will probably go to Jacksonville at #2.

That would be a mistake IMO, not as high on Jordan as most. I wouldn't draft him over Floyd, Star, and others like Fisher, Milliner.

I think Jacksonville would go with Jordan because hes the better pass rusher and that's what they need the most. Floyd would be a good pick too because hes a stud and went to Florida. If they don't go with Jordan I couldn't even him slipping to #14. Teams would trade up for him, I think he's much better than Ansah.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by Paul_Hofer:
Niners don't need Justin's replacement this year. Why a second safety at #74? We already have Dahl. Wouldn't a WR like Da'Rick Rogers make more sense?

What's the guarentee that Darick doesn't become like Jenkins in his first year? Nadda. You talk about having Dahl and not needing a safety. Well we have Bolden and Crabtree and Williams, who is coming along nicely and knows the offense and will be in front of Jenkins and any WR drafted so where is the rookie going to get playing time. Williams was starting to click real good before he went down, add to that equation Manningham when he comes back.

As far as Dahl goes, he is a good ST and only an adaquet Saftey. Anyone of the top 3 safteys possibly can beat him out and here is the critical part, be better than him. Not to mention the fact that the next year we will have no Safeties signed. As far as justin smith, in case you have not been paying attention, the niners acknowledged that they need to get someone who can not only eventually replace him, but also rotate with both Smith and McD to spell them so that they don't get as worn out at the end of the season this year. As strong as these guys are, when your body is worn out, it is more susceptable to injury, that is why Walsh cut back on the hard practices as the season progress as well as having a nice rotation. So these guys will play more than wr.

The only position of need on O is TE.

I do not want to be Green Bay or Saints or Patriots West, all O pass and no D. You can get away with it during the reg. season, but come playoffs you will more than likely see the door because you are one demenional. They got away with it once but then people figured them out. Pats did it more than once of course, but that was because they had a balanced team back then with a running game and D.
What's the guarantee that Datone or Swearinger doesn't become like Jenkins? Your logic is lacking. All O pass and no D? I suspect that you, like so many others in the WZ, forget that the Niners' defense last year was superb. The season didn't start in the playoffs. Maybe that's where you started watching the Niners last year. I'm sure many started watching then. Where will the second safety play? For that matter, where will Datone play? The only position of need is starting free safety.
Niners don't need Justin's replacement this year.

Still... you go where the value is.. and you don't want to have to force a rookie DL on the field right away. In year one, Datone (or another rook) can take some pressure off of Justin or Ray at times.. and develop while learning from those players and Tomsula.

If you want another position or just don't like the individual DL selected, just say so... but let's not pretend that starting a rookie DL vs developing one for a year is the more sagacious move.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Niners don't need Justin's replacement this year. Why a second safety at #74? We already have Dahl. Wouldn't a WR like Da'Rick Rogers make more sense?

What's the guarentee that Darick doesn't become like Jenkins in his first year? Nadda. You talk about having Dahl and not needing a safety. Well we have Bolden and Crabtree and Williams, who is coming along nicely and knows the offense and will be in front of Jenkins and any WR drafted so where is the rookie going to get playing time. Williams was starting to click real good before he went down, add to that equation Manningham when he comes back.

As far as Dahl goes, he is a good ST and only an adaquet Saftey. Anyone of the top 3 safteys possibly can beat him out and here is the critical part, be better than him. Not to mention the fact that the next year we will have no Safeties signed. As far as justin smith, in case you have not been paying attention, the niners acknowledged that they need to get someone who can not only eventually replace him, but also rotate with both Smith and McD to spell them so that they don't get as worn out at the end of the season this year. As strong as these guys are, when your body is worn out, it is more susceptable to injury, that is why Walsh cut back on the hard practices as the season progress as well as having a nice rotation. So these guys will play more than wr.

The only position of need on O is TE.

I do not want to be Green Bay or Saints or Patriots West, all O pass and no D. You can get away with it during the reg. season, but come playoffs you will more than likely see the door because you are one demenional. They got away with it once but then people figured them out. Pats did it more than once of course, but that was because they had a balanced team back then with a running game and D.
What's the guarantee that Datone or Swearinger doesn't become like Jenkins? Your logic is lacking. All O pass and no D? I suspect that you, like so many others in the WZ, forget that the Niners' defense last year was superb. The season didn't start in the playoffs. Maybe that's where you started watching the Niners last year. I'm sure many started watching then. Where will the second safety play? For that matter, where will Datone play? The only position of need is starting free safety.

That was last years D, we have since lost players like pro bowler Dashon, and Sop. So you cannot say we are gonna be fine. I watched all the games I could from the begining. You however, may have watched the games, but don't understand the game or have not paid attention to what has since transpired. The point you are missing out on is drafting a receiver who a) will hardly see the field and b) drafting that late and getting an impact player like Julio and Green will not happen. In addition, as we saw our line got overspent from the season. When you play so much and your body is tired, you are susceptable to injury in any sport. So McD and Justin will need someone who can spell them as well as eventually replace Smith. As for second saftey, you are assuming Dahl is THE answer, he may or may not be-Harbaugh likes says he likes competition-well there is none. Rodgers came to us because they felt he had hands of stone, but had good coverage skills. Dahl is a different case. I don't know if the two you mentioned will be the pick, nor am I saying that they are my favorites, I will leave it to Baalke, but D is more critical at those positions than WR next year since we have Boldin, if we didn't, that would be something else. However, picking a starting saftey has a higher chance of succeeding than a wr late in the first round, history shows this.

As I said you can't say the Def is fine for next year and will be the same when we lost key players. Any rookie WR that comes in won't catch more than 30 balls next year and that is being generous. Not with VD, Crab, Boldin, Williams, Manningham and the second tightend vying for catching balls. Not ot mention Hunter, LMJ, or even Gore and Miller. The only position on Offense that will get considerable playing time is TE because the #2 TE played about 51% of the snaps.

When you pass to much, your D suffers. However, if you are going to pass a lot more or score faster, then you need to keep your players fresh on D fresh. I also will repeat what walsh and other professional gm's said about D and O, you can scheme to make an offense good, but you need talent to make a D good. Case in point is JH's arrival and making Alex Smith a viable qb.
[ Edited by WildBill on Apr 7, 2013 at 11:14 PM ]

You are correct about the only position of need being free safety but it would be good to have some roatation. The best D-lines in the league rotate 6 and up to 7 players on the line to be effective. I dont think we want to go into next year depending on dobbs, tukuafu, jerod-eddie and cam johnson. We also have to remember the best secondaries in the league have safeties that can cover and as much as i love whitner thats his weak point. So 2014 Swearinger at SS and Cyprien at FS would be a solid combo. Dahl is definitely not the answer.
Can't open it...due to network restrictions...can you just type out who the picks are instead of a link? Some others may not be able to open it, either, tks.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
Can't open it...due to network restrictions...can you just type out who the picks are instead of a link? Some others may not be able to open it, either, tks.

sure, done. 1st page, original post.
Isn't Kelce better than Escobar?
Don Banks of SI agrees with you AB83Rules, he has Datone Jones falling to us at #31 in his latest Mock.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130403/nfl-mock-draft-4/?sct=uk_wr_a1
Originally posted by mebemused:
Don Banks of SI agrees with you AB83Rules, he has Datone Jones falling to us at #31 in his latest Mock.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/news/20130403/nfl-mock-draft-4/?sct=uk_wr_a1

ha, I may know something after all, lol.