There are 110 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

John Jenkins has dropped almost 40 pounds since the season ended.

Originally posted by eonblue:
You may be right. Seems risky though. I think people are overrating his worth. He reminds me of Terrance Cody and he went at the end of the 2nd.

Different kind of player. Cody was like an oversized, sluggish version of Jesse Williams, a guy who was there to stuff the run and little else. "Big titties" overpowered the competition in college, showed no pass rush ability whatsoever. Jenkins is far more athletic and a much better pass rusher than Cody was. I hate when people try to equate two players together because they both happen to be big. Cody was an NT, period, Jenkins moved around and played every position on the defensive line. At 350....360....not a good prospect...at anywhere under 340, he's a much better talent. Jenkins never had as sloppy of a build as Cody and at his lower weight, he is significantly more muscular and mobile.


[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 6, 2013 at 4:51 PM ]
I like Jenkins alot.

Since Star wont be in the conversation, the other two NT's i would like to target are jesse Williams, and John jenkins. Either i would be happy with.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Well, the beauty of the new CBA is that rookies don't get outrageous contracts. If he really wants the big one he will have to prove it.

True, but some of these guys will see the first contract as heaven. My question is just that, a question to ponder...I'm not down on anyone at this point because I do not know them personally. It's always sad when a guy doesn't have the fire...but I wish them all well and hope the niners are doing their due diligence! It would shock me if Baalke didn't!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by eonblue:
You may be right. Seems risky though. I think people are overrating his worth. He reminds me of Terrance Cody and he went at the end of the 2nd.

Different kind of player. Cody was like an oversized, sluggish version of Jesse Williams, a guy who was there to stuff the run and little else. "Big titties" overpowered the competition in college, showed no pass rush ability whatsoever. Jenkins is far more athletic and a much better pass rusher than Cody was. I hate when people try to equate two players together because they both happen to be big. Cody was an NT, period, Jenkins moved around and played every position on the defensive line. At 350....360....not a good prospect...at anywhere under 340, he's a much better talent. Jenkins never had as sloppy of a build as Cody and at his lower weight, he is significantly more muscular and mobile.




I wonder if he even fit in the bod pod at the combine.
He's got he incentive to stay at 330, financial security.
I still maintain we don't need to draft a "pure" NT...there are plenty of "bigs" who can play anywhere on the DL. That's what Fangio needs...quality depth that he feels comfortable using to keep the starters fresh. Having signed Dorsey, he has a vet who can do that...I'd draft a couple more to upgrade the DL to be truly versatile and deep.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Because this is a thread about Jenkins?



In anycase, the 49ers have brought in Jenkins for a private workout, they haven't done the same for Hankins as far as I know, that is all we have to go on at this point.

I know this is a Jenkins thread. I was just saying speaking in general when the conversation of drafting a NT comes up it seems like Jenkins, J will, and B Will are the only ones that get brought up. I wouldn't mind Jenkins in all honesty. I trust the coachs. If they think he can replicate that pass rush in the pros then awesome. Could you imagine how ridiculous our Dline would be with a pocket collapsing NT?
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I still maintain we don't need to draft a "pure" NT...there are plenty of "bigs" who can play anywhere on the DL. That's what Fangio needs...quality depth that he feels comfortable using to keep the starters fresh. Having signed Dorsey, he has a vet who can do that...I'd draft a couple more to upgrade the DL to be truly versatile and deep.

We have been doing this for years,and as a result we have had sub par NT play.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
We have been doing this for years,and as a result we have had sub par NT play.

THIS X 10000.



I feel like banging my head against the wall seeing as how so many people seem to fail to make that connection. With a proper NT this defense could be even more of a nightmare, just absolutely ridiculous to try and go up against. There's plenty of reason to secure a proper NT and not continually resort to the "band-aid" approach at NT.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
We have been doing this for years,and as a result we have had sub par NT play.

THIS X 10000.



I feel like banging my head against the wall seeing as how so many people seem to fail to make that connection. With a proper NT this defense could be even more of a nightmare, just absolutely ridiculous to try and go up against. There's plenty of reason to secure a proper NT and not continually resort to the "band-aid" approach at NT.

Yea i dont get it. If your never going to try to address the NT position with a solid NT prospect that fits firmly into that roll, than there really is no reason to run the 3-4 IMO.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea i dont get it. If your never going to try to address the NT position with a solid NT prospect that fits firmly into that roll, than there really is no reason to run the 3-4 IMO.

I agree. This whole idea of "oh, let's just draft any defensive lineman and we can plug and play him anywhere" is absolutely asinine. Nobody talks about any other position like that. Can you imagine a team building an offensive line by saying "f**k it, just grab 5 big guys, doesn't matter who they are, we'll be good to go." It absolutely makes sense, if you're not trying to obtain a quality NT, then you might as well stop running the 3-4 at all. NT IS the most important position in a 3-4 defense, the centerpiece that helps put it all together, not sure why some have gotten it into their heads that it is any less important than other positions on the defense.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Yea i dont get it. If your never going to try to address the NT position with a solid NT prospect that fits firmly into that roll, than there really is no reason to run the 3-4 IMO.

I agree. This whole idea of "oh, let's just draft any defensive lineman and we can plug and play him anywhere" is absolutely asinine. Nobody talks about any other position like that. Can you imagine a team building an offensive line by saying "f**k it, just grab 5 big guys, doesn't matter who they are, we'll be good to go." It absolutely makes sense, if you're not trying to obtain a quality NT, then you might as well stop running the 3-4 at all. NT IS the most important position in a 3-4 defense, the centerpiece that helps put it all together, not sure why some have gotten it into their heads that it is any less important than other positions on the defense.

Don't think anyone is saying what you suggest, but it's OK to draft someone who can play multiple positions. J Williams was considered perfect for NT at Alabama but as that position was covered by a decent senior they played him at DE...where he did very well. There are a number of guys in this draft who might play well at any DL position.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Georgia had him listed in the 350s, he claims that in all reality he was closer to 370. He weighed in at 343 at the Combine but supposedly weighs around 332 right now.


http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/04/06/georgias-john-jenkins-drops-38-pounds-down-to-332/


If he can continually stay under 340 pounds, with his outstanding athleticism, he could really be an effective player in the NFL.


Which is why I believe he will be every bit as good as Williams with the extra added potential to become what Shaun Rogers should have...a dominant 1 and 5 technique that is equally adept at the run and pass. Good luck blocking that kid one on one...let me know how it turns out...
Im a fan of jenkins, i think he helped jarvis jones' production . Anytime a Nt occupies 2 blockers its a good thing. In our case they cant double jenkins, justin and Aldon.
Jenkins I wouldnt touch until the 3rd if he dropped. I just dont see enough impact plays from him to warrant a 1st or a 2nd