There are 173 users in the forums

Terry Hawthorne-CB-Illinois

This is someone that has fallen so far under the radar that it's become absurd. He's a highly talented cornerback, 6 feet tall, with great athletic ability, ran a 4.4 40 at the Combine. He plays very physically, is quite adept at jamming WR's, is also effective in stopping the run and dishes out some big hits. A concussion really messed up his 2012 season but he's been a very reliable, high quality cover guy that routinely took the opposing team's best WR out of the game. His biggest weakness is his insistence on going for the big hit, rather than just wrapping up and making the tackle. That's something that can definitely be coached up but otherwise, this is a guy whose rankings have totally puzzled me, in terms of his measurables and overall performance, I'd have expected him to end up in 2nd round territory but as it is he's ranked anywhere from the mid 3rd to the late 4th right now. As a bonus, maybe he could help AJ Jenkins pull his head out of his A double S.
I think he's definitely a guy we could be targeting in the 3rd ... I believe the team even spoke with him at the East/West shrine game.
Originally posted by NowImLost:
I think he's definitely a guy we could be targeting in the 3rd ... I believe the team even spoke with him at the East/West shrine game.

Yes the 49ers definitely have shown some interest in him, I think he could be great value at the end of the 3rd round, a very good cover corner with good size and speed, would form the 49ers future tandem at CB along with Chris Culliver.
Would be a good prospect for the 49ers!
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This is someone that has fallen so far under the radar that it's become absurd. He's a highly talented cornerback, 6 feet tall, with great athletic ability, ran a 4.4 40 at the Combine. He plays very physically, is quite adept at jamming WR's, is also effective in stopping the run and dishes out some big hits. A concussion really messed up his 2012 season but he's been a very reliable, high quality cover guy that routinely took the opposing team's best WR out of the game. His biggest weakness is his insistence on going for the big hit, rather than just wrapping up and making the tackle. That's something that can definitely be coached up but otherwise, this is a guy whose rankings have totally puzzled me, in terms of his measurables and overall performance, I'd have expected him to end up in 2nd round territory but as it is he's ranked anywhere from the mid 3rd to the late 4th right now. As a bonus, maybe he could help AJ Jenkins pull his head out of his A double S.

Nice. CBS has his 40 listed as a 4.31. Impressive! http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664261/terry-hawthorne
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Nice. CBS has his 40 listed as a 4.31. Impressive! http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1664261/terry-hawthorne

Not sure where they got that from, if that was a Pro Day time or what but his official Combine time was 4.4.......still not shabby at all.

LOL!

Thanks for this little nugget. You're full of those, aren't you?!
Hey man - this is excellent info.

IYO [In Your Opinion] how much do you feel concussions impact a player's selection?

My gut feeling is that with lawyers and the increased focus on concussions many teams will significantly shy away from players who have had concussions - especially more than one.

This guy sounds like one of those excellent sleeper finds,
  • buck
  • Veteran

I have him with a 4.44, which is still very good.

He played in 44 games; had 6 picks and 22 passes broken up.

He would be a good pick up in the fourth, or late third.
Originally posted by buck:
I have him with a 4.44, which is still very good.

He played in 44 games; had 6 picks and 22 passes broken up.

He would be a good pick up in the fourth, or late third.

I've compared him to Culliver in the sense that he's not a guy that plays the ball all that well, I don't see him racking up a bunch of interceptions but he's got very good coverage skills and he's rarely out of position. He locked down some pretty good receivers and doesn't shy away from a challenge. His biggest weakness is his propensity to be over-aggressive, to try to really take someone out instead of just wrapping up properly.

Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
LOL!

Thanks for this little nugget. You're full of those, aren't you?!

Share 49ersWebzone