LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 317 users in the forums

David Amerson CB N.C. State.

Funny u talk about Rodney white u do know it took him a few yrs to develop ??? N a WR or TE is a wasted pick in tha first few rounds T.brown free agent next yr N I don't think he's worth what he'll want N Rogers maybe gone to h*ll J.Smith maybe gone to we never know... N we have no good backups behind our starters no good starting safetys this yr whitener is overrated N just a one hit pony ... point is this is a defense draft class N there are a few good TE N WR in later rounds like TE in tha 3rd T.kelce N WR C.Hamilton in tha 4th round N B.Kaufman in later rounds ...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Funny u talk about Rodney white u do know it took him a few yrs to develop ??? N a WR or TE is a wasted pick in tha first few rounds T.brown free agent next yr N I don't think he's worth what he'll want N Rogers maybe gone to h*ll J.Smith maybe gone to we never know... N we have no good backups behind our starters no good starting safetys this yr whitener is overrated N just a one hit pony ... point is this is a defense draft class N there are a few good TE N WR in later rounds like TE in tha 3rd T.kelce N WR C.Hamilton in tha 4th round N B.Kaufman in later rounds ...

That all points to the bigger discussion which I had brought up before on other threads. Is our objective to "win now" ?! If it is, then priorty needs to be placed on the offensive side of the ball. If you are saying we are trying to build and maintain a competitive roster overtime then I would agree you draft evenly across the positions in need. My point being is with our big stars from the 2005-2007 draft class ageing, we have to win now. Roddy White might have taken a while, but AJ Green and Julio Jones not so much. If we focus our draft on our D, I seriously doubt we will have enough to get back to the big dance.
Originally posted by Rascal:

That all points to the bigger discussion which I had brought up before on other threads. Is our objective to "win now" ?! If it is, then priorty needs to be placed on the offensive side of the ball. If you are saying we are trying to build and maintain a competitive roster overtime then I would agree you draft evenly across the positions in need. My point being is with our big stars from the 2005-2007 draft class ageing, we have to win now. Roddy White might have taken a while, but AJ Green and Julio Jones not so much. If we focus our draft on our D, I seriously doubt we will have enough to get back to the big dance.

Ok so u want us to be tha colts when Manning was there all offensive no defense will how that work out for Manning Hhmmm just 1 super bowl... we need balance we been drafting heavy on offensive we need a draft heavy defense to bring everything together .... N as far as green N Julio they were draft very high in this draft there isn't a top 10 pick WR ...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Ok so u want us to be tha colts when Manning was there all offensive no defense will how that work out for Manning Hhmmm just 1 super bowl... we need balance we been drafting heavy on offensive we need a draft heavy defense to bring everything together .... N as far as green N Julio they were draft very high in this draft there isn't a top 10 pick WR ...

No, what I am saying is it is extremely hard to win a Super Bowl, nevermind to repeat. The key challenge to us is our window is narrowing with our current crop of star players. Frank is 31, Vernon is 29 and Pat is 28. Once we pass on the golden opportunity with this group of players, it will be a completely different team, be it for better or worse. In other words, sometimes extreme goals will require extreme measures. Like I said, we can have a consistently good team overtime, but it won't mean much as long as we can't get over the hump to win the big one. Besides, it is not like our D is bad. Honestly, to win the Super Bowl, in my view you got to go all out cos you will never know when you might be able to get back. The stats support that. Just bring home the Lombardi first before you start planning 10 years down the road.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Besides, the Colts comparison is not valid cos you make it sound like our D is at the bottom of the pile. There is always the right time to do certain things in life. Even if we can't get the defensive prospects we want in this draft, we can always do it next year. Is just a matter of pinpointing the right priorty at the right time. All I am saying is draft 2 top offensive players in this draft that's all. We still have plenty of picks to address the D and you can have all the top picks next year for the D.
With a defense strong draft class I think that's a d*mn good sign to make our defense tha best for tha next 7-10yrs ... N if J.Smith N A.smith go down with no good backus our defense is dead in tha water...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
With a defense strong draft class I think that's a d*mn good sign to make our defense tha best for tha next 7-10yrs ... N if J.Smith N A.smith go down with no good backus our defense is dead in tha water...

Is all good to have a great defense for the next 7-10 years, but that is not a priorty if you want to win the Super Bowl NOW. If Justin Smith goes down, we will play a back-up. Aldon Smith is not our only pass rusher. Everybody forgets and under-estimate Ahmad Brooks. We will be fine for this year once we add on what we are going to draft.

I will put forward the argument defense doesn't win championships. What we need to do is to further enhance our O to make it deadly even. I am convinced once we add on Justin Hunter and Zach Ertz, it will take us over the edge.

Once again is about being slightly more tactical in this draft as opposed to being strategic. For this coming season, we have to go in with the mindset that we MUST win the Super Bowl. It sounds cliche, but I mean really be 100% single-minded from the draft to absolutely everything we do. We have to instill a serious "sense of urgency" from the word go from OTA, mini camp and training camp.

Let's face it, neither you or I have crystal balls. Once Frank, Vernon, Pat and Justin begin to decline, we have no idea what the next crop of players are going to bring. It is almost impossible for any given team to stay right at the top for an extended period of time. Think hard, be realistic, capitalise our opportunity and seize the moment. The San Francisco 49ers will have to win the Super Bowl this year without fail !! There is no other option !!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Rascal, you really want Hunter, huh.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mayo49:
Rascal, you really want Hunter, huh.

I want a top deep threat wideout. Given the way our picks line up, I just don't see who else we can draft at 31st. I want a prototypical, tall receiver that can take the top off DBs.

And for 34th, I want a playmaker tight end. I think both Eifert and Ertz are very close. Given Eifert will be gone by then, I have no issue in taking Ertz. Any other TEs below those two are 1 level down in my opinion.

Bottomline, I want to build our offense to the point of being scary and can really torch any D. I want us to be up by 3 TDs at the half and not the other way around. I want an offense that can drop a 40 burger on anyone.

If you think about it, we are almost there. We are just short of a couple of playmakers.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
So glad u ain't our GM then cause our defense would be horrible then ...N didn't tha ravens just win tha super bowl think they're were a bigg defense team N omg Becky our very own 49ers are built on what DEFENSE

So, you are saying our D is horrible ? The Ravens just had enough playmakers such as Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones to top us in the Super Bowl. Plus, honestly we just didn't play well enough in the 1st half. As good as Raven's D was, we still came back almsot to the point of beating them in the 2nd half if it wasn't for Roman's ridiculous play-calling. Who scored those points ? Our D ? Don't think so.

David Amerson?
So glad u ain't our GM then cause our defense would be horrible then ...N didn't tha ravens just win tha super bowl think they're were a bigg defense team N omg Becky our very own 49ers are built on what DEFENSE

So, you are saying our D is horrible ? The Ravens just had enough playmakers such as Anquan Boldin, Torrey Smith and Jacoby Jones to top us in the Super Bowl. Plus, honestly we just didn't play well enough in the 1st half. As good as Raven's D was, we still came back almsot to the point of beating them in the 2nd half if it wasn't for Roman's ridiculous play-calling. Who scored those points ? Our D ? Don't think so.

READ WHAT I WROTE DUDE SAID IF UUUUUU WAS OUR GM OUR DEFENSE WOULD BE HORRIBLE ...N please tell me u said if J.Smith went down being in tha backup who's tha backup cause behind him we really don't have nothing but undrafted players N Brooks ain't under estimated he's a 8-11 sacks a yr Guy but he'll never be a 15++ sack Guy N Hhmmm who tha backups after A.Smith N Brooks bunch of unproven N late round guys besides tha way overrated haralson N he's coming back frm injury ...N really Justin hunter at #31 are u nuts? ?? I like hunter to but only at #74 he's way to raw ...
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
READ WHAT I WROTE DUDE SAID IF UUUUUU WAS OUR GM OUR DEFENSE WOULD BE HORRIBLE ...N please tell me u said if J.Smith went down being in tha backup who's tha backup cause behind him we really don't have nothing but undrafted players N Brooks ain't under estimated he's a 8-11 sacks a yr Guy but he'll never be a 15++ sack Guy N Hhmmm who tha backups after A.Smith N Brooks bunch of unproven N late round guys besides tha way overrated haralson N he's coming back frm injury ...N really Justin hunter at #31 are u nuts? ?? I like hunter to but only at #74 he's way to raw ...

Of course I read what you wrote. My point is our D isn't bad and even if I was the GM I couldn't make our D "horrible", that is my point !! Hey sacks might be "sexy", sacks don't win ball games. The 49ers have never lived on sacks, if we did we would have been a huge blitzing team. Tell me, why don't we blitz more then ? The 9ers' D is about putting enough pressure on the QB with the least amount of players while stopping the run dead and dropping back enough to defend the pass. In other words, it is about 3 and outs.

At 74th, there is no way you can get Justin Hunter. You will be getting some 2nd grade material.
Lmao sacks do win games I've seen lots of sacks over tha yrs knocking teams outta field goal range ... N hello how do u get 3 N outs by a good defense good backups not unproven players that haven't had any playing time .. N Justin maybe good but no way he's a first round player he's in tha 40-50 range be real I like tha dude but but he ain't first round material N his stats prove he ain't first round ... bottom line is u can have a billion points but if u ain't got tha defense to stop tha other team ur losing tha game ...
[ Edited by tatdwolf49 on Apr 7, 2013 at 3:27 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Let's see how "nuts" I am and see when does Justin Hunter get picked. If you think he is "raw", do you think he will be any more raw than AJ Jenkins then ?!

If you burn our top picks all on the D, I can guarantee you we are not going back to the Super Bowl.
Share 49ersWebzone