There are 313 users in the forums

David Amerson CB N.C. State.

• Rascal
  • Veteran
I am just happy to know there are guys out there like me who think we should draft a WR in the 1st. I am sure Baalke and Harbaugh are ready to accept AJ Jenkins just might not materialise. But, more importantly, to fully utilise and harness Kaep's full potential we will definitely need more firepower. I would even go to the extreme of drafting a TE at 34th in Zach Ertz. I am convinced with Justin Hunter and Zach Ertz, that should get us over the hump !!
Eric Reid was considered a first rounder before the season because of his play last season. This season hurt him, he had a mediocre year with lots of missed tackles and was burned deep multiple times. He's not getting drafted in the first, not with Vacarro, Cyprien and Elam rated higher. If anything we're his best shot to be taken in the first
And I also would take Amerson all day over Reid to be our FS
He's my guy.
Originally posted by 49ers808:
And I also would take Amerson all day over Reid to be our FS

Word. I have no idea why Reid should be drafted in the first two rounds.
Originally posted by Rascal:
I am just happy to know there are guys out there like me who think we should draft a WR in the 1st. I am sure Baalke and Harbaugh are ready to accept AJ Jenkins just might not materialise. But, more importantly, to fully utilise and harness Kaep's full potential we will definitely need more firepower. I would even go to the extreme of drafting a TE at 34th in Zach Ertz. I am convinced with Justin Hunter and Zach Ertz, that should get us over the hump !!

Why are people so down on AJ WRs take time even tha goat had trouble at first N hello we stuck with JJ Stokes forever waiting for him N we traded up for that waste ... I hope he steps up so I can see all u haters hanging on his nits in a yr ...N I'm a fan of Justin hunter just not worth a #31 or #34 pick I'd take him in a heart beat if he was at #74 but it won't happen ...
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by bigwads:

Probably because he's good.
No WR please. We have more pressing needs. Fact 1-wr very rarely contribute big time in their first year. Add to the fact his playing time will be very limited because number one, we run a lot 2 TE sets and Bolden and Crabtree are in front of him.

Unless there is no one of value at the need positions. The most open position where a rookie can get playing time will be Safety, Then DL, then TE. Niners will look at need and BPA as the two criteria, that is the Baalke M.O. Of course the biggest problem is who the FO considers BPA, what the fans or prognosticators view as BPA, the F.O. doesn't.

Unless Tavon drops considerably and the niners don't have to spend an arm and a leg, they may go for him because of his versatility for punt return as well as running out of the running backfield or catching a swing pass out of the backfield etc.

However, a good tightend that can block and catch in the redzone is more important, as the sb showed. That and a better D, that was worn out because of injuries and the long season.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Why are people so down on AJ WRs take time even tha goat had trouble at first N hello we stuck with JJ Stokes forever waiting for him N we traded up for that waste ... I hope he steps up so I can see all u haters hanging on his nits in a yr ...N I'm a fan of Justin hunter just not worth a #31 or #34 pick I'd take him in a heart beat if he was at #74 but it won't happen ...

Bottomline is there is no free lunch. If you need a top receiver you will need to draft high. I am not going to draft any defensive players up top. I am of the belief that we are just a couple of playmakers/weapons away from winning the big one. Times have changed, offense wins championships these days.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran

Have you watched his tape ? The guy is the most aggressive and physical hard-hitting safety in the draft !!

Bottomline is there is no free lunch. If you need a top receiver you will need to draft high. I am not going to draft any defensive players up top. I am of the belief that we are just a couple of playmakers/weapons away from winning the big one. Times have changed, offense wins championships these days.

So glad u ain't our GM then cause our defense would be horrible then ...N didn't tha ravens just win tha super bowl think they're were a bigg defense team N omg Becky our very own 49ers are built on what DEFENSE
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by WildBill:
No WR please. We have more pressing needs. Fact 1-wr very rarely contribute big time in their first year. Add to the fact his playing time will be very limited because number one, we run a lot 2 TE sets and Bolden and Crabtree are in front of him.

Unless there is no one of value at the need positions. The most open position where a rookie can get playing time will be Safety, Then DL, then TE. Niners will look at need and BPA as the two criteria, that is the Baalke M.O. Of course the biggest problem is who the FO considers BPA, what the fans or prognosticators view as BPA, the F.O. doesn't.

Unless Tavon drops considerably and the niners don't have to spend an arm and a leg, they may go for him because of his versatility for punt return as well as running out of the running backfield or catching a swing pass out of the backfield etc.

However, a good tightend that can block and catch in the redzone is more important, as the sb showed. That and a better D, that was worn out because of injuries and the long season.

Nah, I disagree. For defense, while I acknowledge we need to strengthen the secondary, we can do that in the 2nd and may be trade up for the second 2nd round pick. As for D-line is mainly an issue of depth. We don't need to go all the way to the 1st to get someone. Instead, the focus should be placed on the offense. It is offense that wins championships these days. We are just a couple of weapons away. We need a deep threat WR and a TE like you said which we don't have a choice anyway since we lost Delanie. Plus we can't just draft any average TE cos like you said we do use our TEs fairly frequently in our passing game. A top TE is key and that will be the 34th pick for Ertz. Anyone other than Eifert and Ertz are really just 2nd grade material.
A TE is a wasted luxury pick plan N simple N please we need DEFENSE N DE J.Smith wont play forever N really after DE D.Jones there ain't any good DE in later rounds ... N please no old rookie hunt pick its goin to take to long to develope him N as u said rascal no free lunches ....
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
A TE is a wasted luxury pick plan N simple N please we need DEFENSE N DE J.Smith wont play forever N really after DE D.Jones there ain't any good DE in later rounds ... N please no old rookie hunt pick its goin to take to long to develope him N as u said rascal no free lunches ....

A TE is not a luxury at all after we lost Delanie. You did see how many times Kaep threw to Delanie last season right ? Is true Justin Smith is nearing the end of his career, but at least he is still there. If we just play Celek to replace Delanie, you will see a drop in production without a doubt. That means there will need to be an alternative target for Kaep. Who is that going to be ? Another WR if you don't draft a TE ? Now, I am not saying don't draft for the D-line, the question is does it warrant a 1st round pick ? There are already so many question marks on AJ Jenkins, after that Mario and Kyle are coming off from ACLs, will they even be ready to go and as good as before ? That leaves Ricardo Lockette and Chad Hall. That doesn't sound like a convincing and dominant receiving corp, does it ? We have found a gem of a QB in Kaep, now is about giving him the weapons to further harness his talent into increased production. If you are saying there are no decent D-line prospects in the lower round, we can always just draft someone for depth this year and go for a high round next year. There is no doubt in my mind that ultimately offense is going to win the big one for us. What do you do when you are down by 17, down by 22 ? We need an explosive O that can impose their will and outscore the opponent no matter what. This year's playoffs taught me a lot, most notable of all is no matter how stout your D is, a great offense is still going to score on you and score on you big. When you are going up against beasts like Julio Jones and Roddy White for example, even if you have the best secondary in the league like the Seahawks do with Browner, Sherman, Bennett and Chancellor you are still going to get torched. That happened to us too. At that point, it is up to your O to get it done.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran

Have you watched his tape ? The guy is the most aggressive and physical hard-hitting safety in the draft !!

I think Bigwads is just being sarcastic. At least I hope he is.
Share 49ersWebzone