There are 164 users in the forums

Can the Niners draft a 16 game rookie starter in this draft?

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
Originally posted by iLL49er:
why do people want cyprien over vaccaro?

also taking a safety in the 1st round is ridiculous

Thank you!

Yes, if we took a FS in the 1st round, he would probably start all 16 games for us. But it wouldn't be the best thing for the team. Trenton Robinson should be able to fill the role. He won't be the big hitter that Goldson was, but he should hold up fine in coverage.

We are in a mode of drafting future starters now. We need a NT to start now. We need a 3-4 DE that will start for Justin Smith in 2014. We need a WR that will start for Boldin in 2014. We need a SS that will start for Whitner in 2014. We need a nickle CB to cover the slot for Carlos Rogers in 2014.

Who here thinks Trenton Robinson is a legitimate candidate for the starting free safety spot? He didn't even make a true impact on special teams, and Darcel McBath was used in his place - McBath was resigned again this offseason FYI.

In addition, Robinson is 5-9 in height. Meaning that our starting safeties will be 5-10 or shorter going up against 6-2+ WRs and TEs. He's good for depth competition, but assuming he will be able to replace Goldson is stretching it quite a bit.
It would have been a kicker but Phil Dawson was signed.
Yes. A free safety. There is no one on the roster to fill that spot. Robinson is not the answer. The team would be taking a big chance having two midgets manning both safety spots.

Unless Niners sign Woodson after the draft.
5 safeties in the draft can start for us.
Originally posted by valrod33:
Jonathan "el oso blanco" Cyprien and Eric "el caballo" Reid

Dude, you know "El Oso Blanco" is reserved for the man whose hits not only show Gattitude but also provide Gattisfaction.
To call anyone else by that nickname is to risk suffering the true one's wrath. And for your sake, I don't want that.
Originally posted by iLL49er:
dont see anything about cyprien that says he's better than dj swearinger who is being talked as a 3rd rd pick

And coincidentally enough, you're not drawing a paycheck for your scouting prowess.

All kidding aside, Cyprien is a majorly impressive prospect, there's scouts with mega-crushes on the guy because he's so versatile and can really do it all. He's a lot like Goldson in many ways in terms of being an all-around safety. He brings a tremendous amount of aggression, hard hitting, hard-nosed demeanor balanced out with solid coverage skills and good leadership. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see the 49ers make him one of their two picks. Reid, in terms of athletic ability, has more potential than Cyprien, but the question a lot of people are asking......where's the production out on the field? His natural talent and athletic ability should have resulted in far more big plays, he disappeared for large chunks of games and that is what I think will cause him to get drafted after Cyprien. I like both players a lot and I think both could become quality starters in the NFL.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 5, 2013 at 6:57 PM ]
Originally posted by Rsrkshn:
Yes. A free safety. There is no one on the roster to fill that spot. Robinson is not the answer. The team would be taking a big chance having two midgets manning both safety spots.

Unless Niners sign Woodson after the draft.

Once again, this is an assumption on your part. Robinson could well be in the mix to become the starting free safety, none of us really know one way or the other. He was known for his highly impressive coverage skills and he's essentially the same height as Earl Thomas of the Seahawks so I don't see why people dismiss him so easily. It could be that the 49ers draft a safety to ultimately replace Whitner and even to start replacing him on obvious passing downs this season.
  • 9moon
  • Veteran
I only see the two guards.. Warmack and Cooper.. if they somehow fall in the middle of the 1st round, and we move up to draft them, one can actually takeover the RG position.

I know Boone played exceptionally, but he's true position is at the RT.. Warmack and Cooper can make our oustanding OL even better.
Originally posted by valrod33:

or

Wouldn't be mad if we drafted either one
Originally posted by mayo49:
I like Cyprien, but I like Reid better.

Reid has played in the NFL, oh sorry about that, I meant the SEC. Take a look how many first and second rounders come out of that conference. Reid could start from day one and Jesse Williams would see PT also.

Gimmie that LSU safety or a nice CB or Jesse Williams
with the 93 pick SF - Caleb Sturgis k

Yes we will draft a Kicker and he will start all 16 game
Originally posted by iamtheman698:
with the 93 pick SF - Caleb Sturgis k

Yes we will draft a Kicker and he will start all 16 game

NT and FS are the two most likely positions. They were vacated and require new starters but the rest of the team is set. My third most likely would be either WR or Center but those positions would likely be filled with veterans--Boldin and either Looney or Kilgore.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Apr 6, 2013 at 11:37 AM ]
  • dj43
A few years ago I would say that FS would not be a high priority but, as we all know, the league has become such a passing league that you cannot get by anymore without a ball hawk that can tackle. I know that isn't easy to find but that is where we are now. For that reason, I would not be surprised to see Baalke move up to grab Vacarro if someone is willing to deal. Cyprien and Reid would be in play after 25 or so. Whoever it is, they would likely be a starter.

I don't see a center being a first year starter. Recognizing defenses and making blocking calls is just too much to ask from a rookie. Athletic ability is nice but there is no substitute for experience at center. Besides, with Looney and Kilgore in the mix it would be unlikely they would draft a center unless someone exceptional happened to fall to them.

As in baseball, you have to be strong defensively up the middle. ILB is set. NT and FS are the question marks. I could easily see a scenario where Baalke uses 31 and 34 on those positions and the pick starts.
Share 49ersWebzone