There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Quality over quantity draft...with explanations

Originally posted by 49erRider:
Why do people say things like this when they have no idea if it's true or not? How would you know the team thinks they can upgrade over T. Brown? I'm not opposed to trading him, but come on. People need to stop acting like they've got some inside information on the team.

You obviously didnt read my post where I quoted Cosell where HE said the team wants to upgrade Brown. So ya, I guess there is inside info. Maybe read the posts before you make aassumptions about what I said or didnt say.
What happened to our need at safety??? I like Cully but you want to rely on Whitner and Dahl??? Cully can't play both safety spots. Oh, what happens if Cully gets injured?
[ Edited by kronik on Apr 6, 2013 at 12:44 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
What happened to our need at safety??? I like Cully but you want to rely on Whitner and Dahl??? Cully can't play both safety spots. Oh, what happens if Cully gets injured?

Do people in here not read the posts? God.

I said: Because of our ability to rush the passer with 4 guys we want to run a press coverage with our corners to take away the short passes and have a roaming FS (Culliver) to help out over the top and a traditional SS in the box to take away the run (Whitner)
The theory sounds great, but I can't agree with this plan. I don't understand trading away a corner to simply burn draft picks to get another one. Tarrell Brown is fine. If our latest FA acquisition pans out, we will have 4 starting caliber corners on our team for 2013. It's too bad we only have Nmandi Asomougha for one year however. I do see us making more moves to get picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and trades for future picks. A move up in the first would shock me unless one of the top DT/DE prospects or safeties fall.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
The theory sounds great, but I can't agree with this plan. I don't understand trading away a corner to simply burn draft picks to get another one. Tarrell Brown is fine. If our latest FA acquisition pans out, we will have 4 starting caliber corners on our team for 2013. It's too bad we only have Nmandi Asomougha for one year however. I do see us making more moves to get picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds and trades for future picks. A move up in the first would shock me unless one of the top DT/DE prospects or safeties fall.

4 starting calibre corners? Homer much?

AGAIN:::READ

"They feel Tarell Brown can be upgraded," Cosell said. "I know this for a fact. Asomugha is competition."

"I don't think he had quite the same year as the year before," Cosell said of Rogers. "Overall, they probably have some concern about their corner position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-...-upgrade-49ers
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 6, 2013 at 1:46 PM ]
Originally posted by juycho:
Originally posted by reasonable1:
You're trading our top 2 picks AND our best corner for a rookie that needs some technique work?? Can't say i'd bark up that tree.
agree

yeah about the most unrealistic trade up I've seen
While I like Xavier and as you say some things like size and speed can't be taught, remember Mays? Unitl they suit up you there is no guarentee, at least with Tarrell you know what you got. Ronnie Lott was slow as molassas, but he understood the game and hit hard. Plus people are forgetting that Justin and Aldon were injured, when they weren't the secondary was fine. Which goes back to the old axiom, no matter how good your corner is, if there is no pash rush, any corner coverage will eventually breakdown, especially if you got someone like the Seahawk's Wilson who is a slippery dude.

I don't like mortguageing the future on a few picks. Like you said we need people to replace the ones who will depart in 2014. I am not against moving up 4-5 spots but not so high that we lose an arm and a leg. Plus the next draft can cover some of the other spots as well. We can use the quantity to set up the next draft as well. Plus we will get comp picks for losing all the players we did this year. Plus losing any of the players next year, will give us comp picks in 2015.

In addition we have a press corner in NA now. The niners are not known to trade or cut players who can play and are under contract.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:

Exactly, Baalke is not afraid to pull the trigger, he has moved up, but not at any real great expense. If we were in a position like last year, possibly, but with what is going to happen to the roster in the next 2 years I doubt that.

Next year, because of the Alex Smith deal and the loss of Dashon, We will possibly get at worst 1-first 1-second and 3-thirds to begin with. If Alex has a very good year, then it may even be similar to this year 1-first 2-seconds and 2-thirds. Plus with the loss of 2 of our DL and Delanie Walker who knows what else. Meaning any rounds with comp picks, the niners can use it to trade and move around. If the niners take some of the lower round picks this year like a fifth, sixth and seventh and find a buyer, they maybe able to get a higher round pick in the 2014 draft, once again giving us lots of ammo for the future to keep us competitive. That is unless they make bad choices.

The niners could also trade to a middle of the road team the first pick which is at the end of the first any way, for that teams first next year and this years second. Then use our 4, 5, 6 and seventh round picks to move that 2nd round pick back up the board. We always talked about being like the patriots and getting better and extra picks.
[ Edited by WildBill on Apr 6, 2013 at 6:35 PM ]
The conundrum is we need 2 more DLs and there are a really great bunch of them there. My guess is that is where trent/JH go for their first two picks , just because of the talent there. We obviously need a corner and S too, but talent is in the DLs and that's where i think they go. I had posted earlier that Trent may very well try to convert all but comp picks into rd two, but that would be a F.M. I bet he comes close tho. That said, where we are bare, CB and S, I think we hope that the 2nd and 3rd rd Cbs and Ss are potential starters one day. I don't see us getting 2 starting (rotating DLs) and a top tier CB and S. Choices have to be made and the BPA is going to be DL where we are now. I don't see trent trading 8 guys for a #20, #25 and a #61( i worked out a 3 man draft earlier, and it didn't look like something trent would do.

Then there is the possibility he does jump up a lot, and that bring Tavon into range. Would he do it? Nah, i think he goes big, DL, DL, and will get BPAs, and we settle for 2nd tier CB and S....need a later rd OTalso.
Originally posted by m_brockalexander:
One too many trades IMO. A new free safety is a top priority and you did not address the need. I would like the extra pick for Rambo or Phillip Thomas.

Phil Thomas AND Shawn Williams from UGA...that dude is a serious prospect
So in order to upgrade our secondary, we trade our best corner, rely on a potential comeback of a vet that was horrible the past two years, start a rookie... possibly 2, and move Culliver to a position that we dont even know he can play at an NFL level yet....pass.

Cosell doesn't know anymore than anyone else, lets not kid ourselves.
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
The conundrum is we need 2 more DLs and there are a really great bunch of them there. My guess is that is where trent/JH go for their first two picks , just because of the talent there. We obviously need a corner and S too, but talent is in the DLs and that's where i think they go. I had posted earlier that Trent may very well try to convert all but comp picks into rd two, but that would be a F.M. I bet he comes close tho. That said, where we are bare, CB and S, I think we hope that the 2nd and 3rd rd Cbs and Ss are potential starters one day. I don't see us getting 2 starting (rotating DLs) and a top tier CB and S. Choices have to be made and the BPA is going to be DL where we are now. I don't see trent trading 8 guys for a #20, #25 and a #61( i worked out a 3 man draft earlier, and it didn't look like something trent would do.

Then there is the possibility he does jump up a lot, and that bring Tavon into range. Would he do it? Nah, i think he goes big, DL, DL, and will get BPAs, and we settle for 2nd tier CB and S....need a later rd OTalso.

Drafting for NEED is why the poor teams are where they are.

You either stay where you are and take the best player available or move up to get the best player at a position of need.
Your explanations have merit, however, the key to this defense is pressure. The secondary we currently have in place will look like all-pros with pressure. I just watched the Bronco-Raven game from week 15 of last season. I turned it off with the Broncos leading 31-3 in the third. Flacco fumbled and threw a 98 Yard interception and looked nothing like a 100 million dollar QB. The Broncos brought all the pressure with Von Miller and Elvis Dumervil. Finding another situational pass rusher will cure any problems in the 49er secondary.