LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 229 users in the forums

Quality over quantity draft...with explanations

We can still draft a very good CB without trading up...I'd seriously doubt Baalke trading Brown away...anything's possible, but you just don't replace a vet starter with a rookie unless he's Neon Deion. Anyway, I'd draft one of the top S before I take a CB...because right now we don't have a starting FS. And to Paso's point, he's absolutely right, since this draft is deep with big, talented & versatile DL, you take at least two. One of the main reasons our secondary was exposed in the playoffs/SB was directly due to lack of any consistent pressure up front. We just don't have the quality DL depth we need, so Justin & Co. were really worn down and Fangio didn't have b/u guys he felt comfortable with to give the starters a breather. This is the draft to fix that...I can appreciate the notion to draft Brown's replacement now...but not at the expense of one of your most experienced CB's (as a Niner). We've also seen time after time that vets in their contract season rise up and play exceptionally well. Instead of trading up in the 1st rd, what Baalke should and likely will do is get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rds. Most experts agree the biggest group of talent is between picks #20 - 70. If TB can add two more picks to the five he already has in the 1st 3 rds, his job is basically done in the draft. Doing what you advocate reduces his 1st to 3rd rd picks to only three...and I just don't see that as the right course of action.
Nothing wrong with the quality over quantity theory but execution here is ridiculous. Brown is the best corner on the team. I think trading one of the starters on our now very talented cb corps for Rhodes while losing a top 35 pick in the process is ludicrous.

No way in hell Jesse Williams falls to 45 either.

I also have a lot of trepidation over Culliver as a safety. His zone coverage is worse than his man to man coverage.
[ Edited by bigwads on Apr 6, 2013 at 7:58 AM ]
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
We can still draft a very good CB without trading up...I'd seriously doubt Baalke trading Brown away...anything's possible, but you just don't replace a vet starter with a rookie unless he's Neon Deion. Anyway, I'd draft one of the top S before I take a CB...because right now we don't have a starting FS. And to Paso's point, he's absolutely right, since this draft is deep with big, talented & versatile DL, you take at least two. One of the main reasons our secondary was exposed in the playoffs/SB was directly due to lack of any consistent pressure up front. We just don't have the quality DL depth we need, so Justin & Co. were really worn down and Fangio didn't have b/u guys he felt comfortable with to give the starters a breather. This is the draft to fix that...I can appreciate the notion to draft Brown's replacement now...but not at the expense of one of your most experienced CB's (as a Niner). We've also seen time after time that vets in their contract season rise up and play exceptionally well. Instead of trading up in the 1st rd, what Baalke should and likely will do is get more picks in the 2nd and 3rd rds. Most experts agree the biggest group of talent is between picks #20 - 70. If TB can add two more picks to the five he already has in the 1st 3 rds, his job is basically done in the draft. Doing what you advocate reduces his 1st to 3rd rd picks to only three...and I just don't see that as the right course of action.

Word.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Agree with everything but the bold is particularly apt.
Well, I agree with your premise, but not necessarily your mock or your vision of how you think it will play out.

I think the way the 49ers handle the draft, and their philosophy overall, is going to be "Quality over Quantity."

Our roster is stocked and stacked. This is a draft where you either move up and get a few guys you love, without selling the farm, or you trade out and continue to ensure our future. Since 13 guys aren't going to make the team, you can bet we'll be moving up and down, according to what they want.

Having said that, you never really know what Baalke and Harbaugh will do. These guys are driven and know what they want, but no one else really knows what they are thinking. How many of us thought we'd have Jenkins and James last year? No one. You never know with these guys, but you can bet your sweet asses they are doing their homework.
Originally posted by reasonable1:
Absolutely amazing how much we underrate Tarell Brown...a-m-a-z-i-n-g.

Why because he isn't 6'3" 210?? Because he doesn't have 4.3 speed?? Give me a break man. The guy has been our most consistent defensive backfield player since the start of 2010. He excels in all aspects of coverage and is especially good in man. Yeah Julio Jones got him in the endzone...but who the hell doesn't Julio overpower??

How do you know we will move Cully to safety? If the team had intentions of him playing that position I am quite sure they would have made that known before free agency and would not have addressed him as a "future starter" at CB.

Once again...you are trading our top 2 picks AND our best cover man for an unproven rookie. And how in the world do you know Rhodes is every bit as good?? He hasn't taken one snap in pro football. Tarell Brown was a 1st round prospect before his off field issue at Texas before the Ohio State game back in 2007...so couple that with his NFL production and I don't see how Rhodes is "immediately" better than him. Dude is and has been a baller for us for the past 3 seasons.

Tarell Brown is far from a 'baller'. Saying Brown is our best corner even further demonstrates our need to improve the position.

What part of this are you not understanding??

"They feel Tarell Brown can be upgraded," Cosell said. "I know this for a fact. Asomugha is competition."

"I don't think he had quite the same year as the year before," Cosell said of Rogers. "Overall, they probably have some concern about their corner position."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-...-upgrade-49ersRead more: http://forums.kffl.com/threads/303360-Free-Agency-Thread/page35#ixzz2PhUexkXH
[ Edited by SteveYoung on Apr 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM ]
Why would we trade our best cb for a rookie?
[ Edited by theninermaniac on Apr 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM ]
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
First thing....Brown being our best corner sums up how badly we need to address the position. Rhodes may need some refining but you cant teach size and speed.

Secondly, Brown is a free agent after the season and will most likely not be brought back. The team thinks they can upgrsde him and Rhodes is every bit as good but offers much higher potential and is a perfect fit for our scheme.

As for not taking a safety....we will move Culliver to his natural safety position and let him flourish like Devin McCourty did in New England after he switched positions.

Why do people say things like this when they have no idea if it's true or not? How would you know the team thinks they can upgrade over T. Brown? I'm not opposed to trading him, but come on. People need to stop acting like they've got some inside information on the team.
  • fan49
  • Veteran
T brown is our best and fastest cb
Trading our best cornerback and picks for a rookie. And where is the safety at? Gotta draft a safety.

• fan49
  • Veteran
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=221717 4.32 for t brown
  • krizay
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SteveYoung:
Looking at the roster it is easy to see what our needs are. I think Glen Dorsey will be used as a DE to spell McDonald and Smith on running downs to keep them fresh on passing downs. I don't see him as a NT unless it's a few snaps a game. I think we take a NT high. We can choose to trade up to 22-24 to get Sylvester Williams or we can take Jesse Williams or John Jenkins later on. I prefer Jesse Williams. He is a perfect 1 gap NT who is as strong as a bull. Plus, he gives 110% effort and can move for a big man. I think he is a HUGE upgrade on Sopoaga and can be a plug and play player.

As for our secondary: I think what we want to do is play with press coverage on the outside, with a floating FS and a prototypical in the box SS. We do not want teams to run the ball so I think Whitner still has value to this team as a true in the box safety. We just need to protect him in coverage. I think Culliver makes the move to FS. He can be a Devin McCouty type centerfielder for us.

If we want to talk about trading up for the BPA then we will wait and see how far Star Lotulelei falls. If he falls to the 12-14 range, I think we make a move to get him because the value will be there. I doubt Star falls to that range so Xavier Rhodes is a guy I would target and is a guy who can come in and start from day 1 and fit our system perfectly. 31 and 34 and maybe our Tarell Brown should be enough to move up to 12 to get Rhodes. The only way we make this move is if we feel that Culliver is our FS. Cosell recently said that he knows for a fact that the teams thinks they can upgrade on Tarell Brown. I think he may be the odd man. It would be between him and Rogers but I think Rogers offers more and is more versatile.

And we need a TE2. There are quite a few nice prospects but I think we move up to get the best blocker available and a very good receiving TE in Kelce. Much like Vernon Davis, Kelce has some maturity issues but both guys learned from their mistakes and are better because of them.

*Trade (1) #31, (1) #34 and Tarell Brown to Miami for the 12th overall
*Trade (2) #61, (3) #94 to San Diego for the 45th overall
*Trade (3) #74 and (4) #128 to Jacksonville for the 64th overall
*Trade (5) #157, (6) #173 and (6) #180 to Pittsburg for the 115th overall

So..... you have us trading a 2nd and a 3rd to move 11 spots backwards from a spot where we just traded?
Then a 3rd and 4th to move back 3 spots from where we just traded.
Then you want to trade a 5th, and 2 6th's to move forward 13 spots from what we just traded.

My point is...... you say quality over quantity but you have us moving right back to where we just came from. Thus saying we are trading quality and terrell brown for quality. Not quanity for quality.

While yes I understand you have us getting xavier rhodes. your scenario has Xavier costing us essentially terrell brown, #31, #74, #94. Because you basically keep chasing what we just gave away.

I will go on record and say that xavier rhodes will not be better than those 4 players combbined.
Originally posted by fan49:
http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&c=1&nid=221717 4.32 for t brown

Tell that to madden, they shafted him.
One too many trades IMO. A new free safety is a top priority and you did not address the need. I would like the extra pick for Rambo or Phillip Thomas.
They added competition to the CB position but it is short term and they really need to think long term with the draft. They need starting quality at NT and FS yet, and back up quality (upside players) at CB, DE, OLB, C, WR, and OT. So there is need for eight draftees to make the team or at least offer high level competition in TC.

The team may still be interested in one of the FA Safeties or DLmen, but do they have the cap room? There are a number of pretty good question marks with back ups--Fleming, Dobbs, Robinson, Kilgore and Looney...many potential solutions but only Baalke and the coaches have a clue which ones are for real. The draft should tell us what they think of back up potential.
Share 49ersWebzone