LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 315 users in the forums

Phoenix49ers Updated Mock Draft

• GEEK
  • Veteran
The Logan RJF comparison is dead on.

You hit the nail on the head by getting good value at your draft spots. I think Washington is going to be a hot riser in this draft, so he may not be available in the 5th.

Patton reminds me of an Eric Decker type. He's solid in so many ways but not superior at one thing. Those types tend to be undervalued, but become such solid role players.
I have a huge problem with the premise of this topic Phoenix (no offense).

The 49ers will NOT be trading down to acquire more picks. If we are trading out of the first round, we better damn well be getting a 1st rounder in next year's draft. There is absolutely no need to stockpile even more picks in the 2013 draft. Just because there might be value in moving down, doesnt mean its a good idea. We dont need more draft picks.
Originally posted by TheStick45:
I have a huge problem with the premise of this topic Phoenix (no offense).

The 49ers will NOT be trading down to acquire more picks. If we are trading out of the first round, we better damn well be getting a 1st rounder in next year's draft. There is absolutely no need to stockpile even more picks in the 2013 draft. Just because there might be value in moving down, doesnt mean its a good idea. We dont need more draft picks.

And you know this how exactly? Some of the picks in the trades I listed were for 2014, but essentially, the 49ers have a lot of holes to fill, a lot of guys that have left, most of the free agents they signed are short-term solutions at best, next year they'll have even more holes to fill, this draft is a way to solidify this team over the next 4-5 years. This draft has depth in the middle rounds, if the 49ers can get out of the first, acquire an early 2nd and an early 4th, it makes all the sense in the world to do so.
  • fryet
  • Veteran
In the end you made 13 picks. I would prefer if the 49ers made 10 or less, and trade for either higher picks, or more picks next year. In your draft, you assume you can stash a 7th round pick on the practice squad. He would probably be picked up by another team.
Originally posted by fryet:
In the end you made 13 picks. I would prefer if the 49ers made 10 or less, and trade for either higher picks, or more picks next year. In your draft, you assume you can stash a 7th round pick on the practice squad. He would probably be picked up by another team.

The thing is...the 7th rounders are mostly throwaway's, plus 3 of those 13 picks are compensatory picks...ie...they can't be traded whatsoever. I also managed to pick up a couple additional picks in the 2014 draft where the 49ers will already have 10+ picks once again, this idea that you keep trading picks back, regardless of the situation at hand doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If your a team is building up, that is fine, if you're a major Superbowl contender with actual needs, you fill those needs and build up your depth now.

With the trades I've made, this would be the 49ers situation in 2014

1st rounder, 2nd rounder, KC 2nd or 3rd rounder, 3rd rounder, 3rd round comp pick for Goldson, 4th rounder, 4th round comp pick for Walker, 5th rounder from Jets, 5th rounder from Dallas, 5th rounder, 5th round comp pick for RJF, 6th rounder, 7th rounder.

That is 13 picks in 2014.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Apr 4, 2013 at 12:38 PM ]
I like your picks...a lot. But, it's doubtful Logan will still be around at #93. Between he and Williams, they're primarily inside guys...with Dorsey and Williams already on board, I'd like to see a guy drafted who can play both inside and outside, which is why Jesse Williams is showing up on so many mocks. I think Harbaugh understands he needs as much versatility on his DL as he can get. Justin Smith's injury showed that. My personal favorite is Sly Williams. By trading out of the 1st rd and taking Reid at #34, you'd be bypassing most of the best DL in the draft. Understand gaining picks in 2014, but this is the year to go for the gold in terms of DL. I'd like to see Baalke come out of this draft with one of the top DL, S, TE & CB. Yours gets us a very good S & TE and a good CB in Hawthorne. I still like your mock a lot...just not sure we can land the two DT's you've named.
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Why not Cyprien over Reid?

Reid is the guy. More athletic. With the new rules, you have to be able to cover.

Plus Reid really lit it up at his pro day. Running a 4.5 40 yard dash when all the other Top safeties(including Vaccaro) ran in the 4.6 range only helps his stock.

His 40 inch vert is just ridiculous and will come in handy covering tight ends.
Interesting this is one of the few mocks that don't have the 49ers taking a RB
Originally posted by SFrush:
Originally posted by 60sfan:
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
Why not Cyprien over Reid?

Reid is the guy. More athletic. With the new rules, you have to be able to cover.

Plus Reid really lit it up at his pro day. Running a 4.5 40 yard dash when all the other Top safeties(including Vaccaro) ran in the 4.6 range only helps his stock.

His 40 inch vert is just ridiculous and will come in handy covering tight ends.

I thought all the scouting reports I've read indicated that coverage was Reid's liability. Isn't Cyprien a more center field type safety?
Nice draft Phoenix. you have them taking what they need with 2 DL and a safety and they still get a good WR a late round pass rusher that could turn out to be very good. I like it. I hope they do not take 13 guy but if they do this would be nice.

• fryet
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by fryet:

The thing is...the 7th rounders are mostly throwaway's, plus 3 of those 13 picks are compensatory picks...ie...they can't be traded whatsoever. I also managed to pick up a couple additional picks in the 2014 draft where the 49ers will already have 10+ picks once again, this idea that you keep trading picks back, regardless of the situation at hand doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. If your a team is building up, that is fine, if you're a major Superbowl contender with actual needs, you fill those needs and build up your depth now.

With the trades I've made, this would be the 49ers situation in 2014

1st rounder, 2nd rounder, KC 2nd or 3rd rounder, 3rd rounder, 3rd round comp pick for Goldson, 4th rounder, 4th round comp pick for Walker, 5th rounder from Jets, 5th rounder from Dallas, 5th rounder, 5th round comp pick for RJF, 6th rounder, 7th rounder.

That is 13 picks in 2014.

I wouldn't mind having 13 picks in 2014 as well. It gives you so much flexibility, and future year picks are always higher than current year picks. So you get more opportunities for higher picks the more you trade into future years. As for 7th rounders, I most definitely do not look at them as throw away picks. We have plenty of undrafted free agents make our team, so a 7th certainly has the potential as well. But you don't want to spend the 7th on an area where you already have plenty of players. TE would be a good place to spend a 7th. So would safety or CB.
nice mock! you are much more an expert than me, so wouldn't you be afraid that the ravens take away reid at 32? and if so, what would you do then at 34? stick with another safety? or go Dline?
[ Edited by AlmighT49er on Apr 5, 2013 at 8:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone