There are 367 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

5 Possible surprise choices at #31

I am not sure that any of those picks would surprise me that much.

These would be surprises to me:

Eddie Lacy RB Alabama - if they took him it would be a fit as a power runner but there would likely be other equally graded players of higher need

Margus Hunt DT SMU - he is a bit old and needs more time to develop

Keenan Allen WR California - I would be surprised if he made it to our pick and then if he was taken over a DL or DB

Alex Okafor DE Texas - seems too much like Harralson who is already on the roster to fill the role, not at #31

Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State - the questions about effort and consistency don't fit the Harbaalke profile to me.
Originally posted by natrone06:
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:
i think you could add auburn olb corey lemonier as a possible surprise 1st rd pick...some believe that baalke's real draft crush last year was bruce irvin, a pass rusher...niners struggled defensively in the playoffs because, in large part, of the lack of a pass rush after smith and smith were injured....
lemnoier is a pass rushing olb with promise

Lemonier has about early 3rd to mid 3rd round value right now....taking him in the 1st would be a reach of epic proportions.

Unless of course you and other prognosticators have no actual knowledge on how teams feel about him.

bingo--we would have said same thing about aj jenkins last year at this point...and lemonier may be a 3rd rounder on some teams boards and a 1st rounder on others...i know that russ lande on his mock has lemonier as a 1st rd pick
Most think we will pick a DE in the 1st round.

If we don't trade up, I will be very surprised if we go after a WR at 31st, but if we do, I would like to see Justin Hunter.

If 31st is too high for a WR for Baalke, then I would like to see a TE, either Eifert or Ertz will do.

If is too high for both WR and TE, a DB would be nice. If is a safety then Eric Reid and if is a corner then David Amerson.

Not to say these are small time names, but the surprise lies in the position cos noone expects the 9ers will pick a WR, TE or even DB in the 1st round.
Bjoern Werner

He's big for an OLB and small for a 3-4 DE, but high motor, character guy that seems to be slipping a little in the draft.
Unless of course you and other prognosticators have no actual knowledge on how teams feel about him.

Except for the vast majority of picks, draft position is pretty clear. If anything Lemonier has fallen down the draft boards over the course of the offseason. He's not touching the 1st or anywhere close to it.
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
Here's a suprise [well maybe not]

We trade our first pick to either the Raiders, Browns or Bills for their first round pick in 2014.

That was the 5th point in my original post
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

Except for the vast majority of picks, draft position is pretty clear. If anything Lemonier has fallen down the draft boards over the course of the offseason. He's not touching the 1st or anywhere close to it.

I agree w/ Phx. While it's possible, you could say that for anyone. I can name someone who is projected to go in the 6th and claim that prognosticators don't know. Anything is possible, but the probability of a widely considered 3rd rd. pick going in the 1st is unlikely. Now a 2nd round pick is different
Originally posted by Rascal:
Most think we will pick a DE in the 1st round.

If we don't trade up, I will be very surprised if we go after a WR at 31st, but if we do, I would like to see Justin Hunter.

If 31st is too high for a WR for Baalke, then I would like to see a TE, either Eifert or Ertz will do.

If is too high for both WR and TE, a DB would be nice. If is a safety then Eric Reid and if is a corner then David Amerson.

Not to say these are small time names, but the surprise lies in the position cos noone expects the 9ers will pick a WR, TE or even DB in the 1st round.

Picking a DB in the first would not be surprising. S is by far our biggest need
Originally posted by ChaunceyGardner:
I am not sure that any of those picks would surprise me that much.

These would be surprises to me:

Eddie Lacy RB Alabama - if they took him it would be a fit as a power runner but there would likely be other equally graded players of higher need

Margus Hunt DT SMU - he is a bit old and needs more time to develop

Keenan Allen WR California - I would be surprised if he made it to our pick and then if he was taken over a DL or DB

Alex Okafor DE Texas - seems too much like Harralson who is already on the roster to fill the role, not at #31

Johnathan Hankins DT Ohio State - the questions about effort and consistency don't fit the Harbaalke profile to me.

I was trying to list players that I see as fitting into the team's mold and players that I could see us picking, while they're not normally projected to us (or at least not at that spot). I was not trying to list players that don't fit my understanding of what the team is looking for
Jamar Taylor, Robert Alford, Darius Slay are 3 "hot" names at CB according to Ian Rapoport of NFLN.
Kenny Navarro - We trade up and grab the best safety in the draft. Expensive? Sure! Worth it? Just maybe.
Originally posted by pete98146:
Kenny Navarro - We trade up and grab the best safety in the draft. Expensive? Sure! Worth it? Just maybe.

Hmm, pretty sure he can really rock that guitar, but I'm not sold on his coverage skills or tackling ability.

Originally posted by pete98146:

Just my opinion, but if you're more certain that the price is high ("expensive? Sure!") than you are of the payoff ("just maybe") then perhaps it's not the type of gamble you take
Trading away #31 for next year's 1st rounder seems very plausible. Jadeveon Clowney, anyone??
I have absoloutley no idea who we are gong to draft. Did anyone get it either AJ Jenkins or Lamichael last year or even Aldon and Kapernick the year before?