There are 143 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

5 Possible surprise choices at #31

This is a list of players who I think they niners may draft, that would come as a major (or in some cases, minor) surprise:

1. Sylvester Williams - We love to group players together, and tie them back to their NFL counterparts. Black QBs, white WRs, and players that played the same position at the same school. Williams may be a victim of the third type of arbitrary ranking. Few fans would be surprised if we drafted a DT, and Williams may be the best one available when we draft. He fits our scheme, and would be very good value at 31 IF available. However, until he proves otherwise, he will remain the next "Kentwan Balmer" due to school/position combination. A player who has received virtually no mention on any 9er board or article.

2. DeAndre Hopkins - People often think we're set at WR, and while the position is fairly packed, most of the people are either coming off a major injury, are in their last year of the contract (ready to retire or ask for big $$), or both. The one player that doesn't fit into either category has a stat line that reads "1 drop." Since this is now a team that will be building around CK, weapons will be a big focus. The name Tavon Austin gets most of the attention on this board, but Hopkins is the better all around player, and a fantastic deep threat.

3. Jamie Collins - If there is one thing we know about football, its that you can never have too many pass rushers. But you could have too few. The OLB position will be getting a boost this year with the return of 2 rookies and Harlson from the injury list, but could still use a more dynamic pure pass rusher. Baalke demonstrated the desire to add such a player with interest he showed in Bruce Irvin last year and John Abraham this offseason. Collins has been on the team's radar since the Senior Bowl when reports came out that they met. Back then he looked like a mid-round gem. Now he's been flying up boards. Will the team pull the trigger to "reach" for the player they want yet again? Maybe...

4. Tank Carradine - This probably won't be as much of a surprise as it would have been a month ago.

5. 2014 1st Rd. Pick - The team is more likely to try and do this with the 34th pick, but may not have that choice. If someone wants to jump Jacksonville for a QB, we may be able to help by parting ways with the 31st pick. The 34th will not be of use for this.
[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Apr 1, 2013 at 12:16 PM ]
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
This is a list of players who I think they niners may draft, that would come as a major (or in some cases, minor) surprise:

1. Sylvester Williams - We love to group players together, and tie them back to their NFL counterparts. Black QBs, white WRs, and players that played the same position at the same school. Williams may be a victim of the third type of arbitrary ranking. Few fans would be surprised if we drafted a DT, and Williams may be the best one available when we draft. He fits our scheme, and would be very good value at 31 IF available. However, until he proves otherwise, he will remain the next "Kentwan Balmer" due to school/position combination. A player who has received virtually no mention on any 9er board or article.

2. DeAndre Hopkins - People often think we're set at WR, and while the position is fairly packed, most of the people are either coming off a major injury, are in their last year of the contract (ready to retire or ask for big $$), or both. The one player that doesn't fit into either category has a stat line that reads "1 drop." Since this is now a team that will be building around CK, weapons will be a big focus. The name Tavon Austin gets most of the attention on this board, but Hopkins is the better all around player, and a fantastic deep threat.

3. Jamie Collins - If there is one thing we know about football, its that you can never have too many pass rushers. But you could have too few. The OLB position will be getting a boost this year with the return of 2 rookies and Harlson from the injury list, but could still use a more dynamic pure pass rusher. Baalke demonstrated the desire to add such a player with interest he showed in Bruce Irvin last year and John Abraham this offseason. Collins has been on the team's radar since the Senior Bowl when reports came out that they met. Back then he looked like a mid-round gem. Now he's been flying up boards. Will the team pull the trigger to "reach" for the player they want yet again? Maybe...

4. Tank Carradine - This probably won't be as much of a surprise as it would have been a month ago.

5. 2014 1st Rd. Pick - The team is more likely to try and do this with the 34th pick, but may not have that choice. If someone wants to jump Jacksonville for a QB, we may be able to help by parting ways with the 31st pick. The 34th will not be of use for this.

[ Edited by RollinWith21n52 on Apr 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM ]
Two more names:

Kawaan Short

Blidi Wreh-Wilson
Jamie Collins is a good one, as well as Sly Williams.

Another one could be Robert Woods, Kawann Short, or Alex Okafor.
Good names to add, however, here are my concerns:

-Short is known to have a lacking motor. I don't think the team will tolerate that. He doesn't fit the profile of what we look for.

-Blidi would be an outrageous reach at 31. Many have him in the 4th or 5th. He would be a surprise even at the end of the 2nd.

-Oakafor is an all-around LB. seems we're looking, instead, for a pure pass-rusher for situational play.

Robert Woods is a great addition to the list

-Short is known to have a lacking motor. I don't think the team will tolerate that. He doesn't fit the profile of what we look for.

-Blidi would be an outrageous reach at 31. Many have him in the 4th or 5th. He would be a surprise even at the end of the 2nd.

-Oakafor is an all-around LB. seems we're looking, instead, for a pure pass-rusher for situational play.

Scouts.com has him rated #27 overall

Link

the guy is ranked in the 2nd round by most of the analysts on NFLN
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Link

I was going to say the same thing
Originally posted by Mann716:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:

Link

I was going to say the same thing

wow, surprised to hear that. I retract my statement
You are right on about a WR pick. DeAndre Hopkins is a beast and I'd be happy with him at 31 or 34.

I think Tank Carradine would be a surprise at 31. Given his injury and position change to 3-4 DE, he may be better value in the middle of the 2nd round. I like him though. He could be a beast in our nickle package as soon as he's healthy.... and if he can gain 15-20 lbs, he could be a great every-down player.

I'm not sure I like trading away our 2013 1st.... it would have to be a very good trade with nobody we value as a 1st rounder available at 31.
Here's a suprise [well maybe not]

We trade our first pick to either the Raiders, Browns or Bills for their first round pick in 2014.
I would not be shocked to see us trade out of the first and get another in the second round maybe even get another first for next year! Someone like Jacksonville or Philly maybe?
Patriots also seem to like to trade with us....it usually works out for us!
i think you could add auburn olb corey lemonier as a possible surprise 1st rd pick...some believe that baalke's real draft crush last year was bruce irvin, a pass rusher...niners struggled defensively in the playoffs because, in large part, of the lack of a pass rush after smith and smith were injured....
lemnoier is a pass rushing olb with promise
Originally posted by hofer36:
i think you could add auburn olb corey lemonier as a possible surprise 1st rd pick...some believe that baalke's real draft crush last year was bruce irvin, a pass rusher...niners struggled defensively in the playoffs because, in large part, of the lack of a pass rush after smith and smith were injured....

Lemonier has about early 3rd to mid 3rd round value right now....taking him in the 1st would be a reach of epic proportions.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by hofer36:

Lemonier has about early 3rd to mid 3rd round value right now....taking him in the 1st would be a reach of epic proportions.

Unless of course you and other prognosticators have no actual knowledge on how teams feel about him.