There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

Tavon Austin vs Cordarelle Patterson

• buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by KID9R:
I don't have a dog in this fight because they'll both be gone and I don't think we'll move up for a WR, but last year
Patterson had only 46 catches because Tenn has a another potential 1st round WR on the team in Hunter.
But still his YPC was 16.91 and his TD per catch was 0.109
Austin's YPC was 11.31 and his TD per catch was 0.105
Austin's career YPC is 11.84. He also had a top 10 QB throwing to him.

Patterson could end up being a very good receiver, but it is difficult to judge when he only has one year experience.

If you look at post #14, a good share of his receptions (14) and yards (310) came against lesser opponents.

The apparent discrepancy between those numbers and his numbers against better opponents diminish or devalue his averages precisely because he does not have solid body of work to evaluate.

Austin does have a solid body of work, and his versatility beyond the passing game is evident on the tape and in the numbers.

I have a dog in this fight mainly because of the excessive and inane midget comments.

Secondarily, I really think that in this draft, Austin is the exceptional offensive weapon available.

It is the size of the fight in the dog, nor the size of the dog that counts.

Originally posted by KID9R:
Originally posted by buck:
SkyGod you assert that Patterson is just as fast just as explosive.

At the combine, Patterson ran the 40 in 4.42; Austin ran a 4.34.

Compare their explosive plays.

In 2112, Patterson was 14th in the nation in long plays with 38 plays of 30+ yards.

In 2010, Austin had 17 plays of 30 + yards.
In 2011, Austin was 3rd in the nation with in long plays with 45 plays of 30+ yards
In 2012, Austin was 1st in the nation in long plays with 73 plays of 30+ yards.

In his career, Austin had 135 plays of 30+ yards.

Patterson is just as fast and just as explosive as Austin.

I don't have a dog in this fight because they'll both be gone and I don't think we'll move up for a WR, but last year
Patterson had only 46 catches because Tenn has a another potential 1st round WR on the team in Hunter.
But still his YPC was 16.91 and his TD per catch was 0.109
Austin's YPC was 11.31 and his TD per catch was 0.105
Austin's career YPC is 11.84. He also had a top 10 QB throwing to him.

ever hear of Stedman Bailey?
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
Originally posted by SkyGod:
Tavon Austin + 5 inches + 45lbs = Cordarrelle Patterson.

Seriously Austin fans, Cordarrelle Patterson is a much bigger version of Tavon Austin.

Patterson is just as fast just as explosive is also a special playmaker a whole lot bigger than Austin and is the more valuable wideout.

6'2 216lb wideout Patterson has a far better chance at succeeding in the NFL than the diminutive 5-9 174lb slot player Austin.

Depends how the draft plays out and who falls but there may also be more of a chance to get Patterson and give up less.

Patterson by far is the better pick.

This is absurd beyond belief. Patterson has great measurables and nice potential, but he just as easily be a major bust. He's had one season on his resume....one. He's very raw as a route runner and doesn't have the most reliable hands where Austin has been tremendously productive for 3 seasons, has far superior hands and is a much better route runner. Patterson also is nowhere near explosive as Austin. Patterson is a guy with good upside that you draft and hope he becomes a good player, Austin is a guy with an extensive resume AND tremendous measurables to be a productive player in the NFL.
This! Last year we took a receiver (Jenkins) that was far more polished than Patterson and even when our receiver depth was beat to crap, still could barely crack the field. Now somebody wants ANOTHER receiver that is far more green and far less develped than the guy that couldn't crack the line up last year or atleast a decent amount of playing time... . Forget that, if we go receiver again this year than I want somebody that has a chance to produce. See Phoenix's argument.
Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who prefer Tavon Austin. I am literally shocked.

The 1st question you got to ask is what does the 9ers need ? The answer to me is very simple. We don't need a slot receiver cos we already have a tonne of them. What we badly need is a tall, physical receiver who can play the deep ball who can fully capitalize on Kaep's arm strength. You need a guy who can go up top and beat out the DBs. When you are talking about 5"8" Vs 6'3", a massive difference of 7 inches it really isn't even a debate. Randy Moss was supposed to be that guy, but unfortunately had never lived up to that role.

Then, if you want to talk about diversity of skills such as special teams, Cordarrelle Patterson has to be by far the better returner. This guy is not just fast, but he is extremely elusive and shifty.

To be honest, I never thought about Patterson cos I never thought the 9ers would trade up that high to get a receiver. But, seriously if they do, is a no-brainer, Cordarrelle Patterson all the way. But, if we don't, I think we can still get someone great at end of 1st or in the 2nd round. That guy is Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter at 6"4" 200 lbs. He is arguably even better than Patterson for the deep ball as a pure receiver, but minus the returning skills.

I would say this Austin Vs Patterson discussion while interesting is probably just academic. It will be a very aggressive move to trade up that high. Having said that, I do believe we really need to be aggressive given what the Seahawks have done. Based on their free agency signings, I think they will be very, very tough for the 9ers to beat now. Anquan Boldin is a fantastic addition, but we have lost more than we have gained so far. There is no doubt in my mind we will need more impact players to be able to content with the Seahawks.

So, all things considered, I think the only realistic choice for us is to get - Justin Hunter !!
Originally posted by Willisfn4life:
This! Last year we took a receiver (Jenkins) that was far more polished than Patterson and even when our receiver depth was beat to crap, still could barely crack the field. Now somebody wants ANOTHER receiver that is far more green and far less develped than the guy that couldn't crack the line up last year or atleast a decent amount of playing time... . Forget that, if we go receiver again this year than I want somebody that has a chance to produce. See Phoenix's argument.

I like both players, I think Austin and Patterson can be productive NFL players. That said, the bottomline is this, if you're looking at the guy who will be the most ready to be a major contributor to a Superbowl contender, its very clear that guy is Austin. Patterson has a nice ceiling and a lot of natural talent, but he's a project, he's extremely raw, he'll require more time to develop and he's a guy that would be a repeat of Jenkins, who was significantly further more ready as a prospect. Austin is the most ready to be an immediate contributor, so I would absolutely take him hands down.
Originally posted by Rascal:
Wow, I can't believe there are so many people who prefer Tavon Austin. I am literally shocked.

The 1st question you got to ask is what does the 9ers need ? The answer to me is very simple. We don't need a slot receiver cos we already have a tonne of them. What we badly need is a tall, physical receiver who can play the deep ball who can fully capitalize on Kaep's arm strength. You need a guy who can go up top and beat out the DBs. When you are talking about 5"8" Vs 6'3", a massive difference of 7 inches it really isn't even a debate. Randy Moss was supposed to be that guy, but unfortunately had never lived up to that role.

Then, if you want to talk about diversity of skills such as special teams, Cordarrelle Patterson has to be by far the better returner. This guy is not just fast, but he is extremely elusive and shifty.

To be honest, I never thought about Patterson cos I never thought the 9ers would trade up that high to get a receiver. But, seriously if they do, is a no-brainer, Cordarrelle Patterson all the way. But, if we don't, I think we can still get someone great at end of 1st or in the 2nd round. That guy is Patterson's teammate, Justin Hunter at 6"4" 200 lbs. He is arguably even better than Patterson for the deep ball as a pure receiver, but minus the returning skills.

I would say this Austin Vs Patterson discussion while interesting is probably just academic. It will be a very aggressive move to trade up that high. Having said that, I do believe we really need to be aggressive given what the Seahawks have done. Based on their free agency signings, I think they will be very, very tough for the 9ers to beat now. Anquan Boldin is a fantastic addition, but we have lost more than we have gained so far. There is no doubt in my mind we will need more impact players to be able to content with the Seahawks.

So, all things considered, I think the only realistic choice for us is to get - Justin Hunter !!

Or not. Can't block...won't block, body catcher, not a great route runner, built like an NBA point guard...meh. I would happily take Da'Rick Rogers over him.
Actually, there is another tall, physical receiver other than Patterson and Hunter that someone had brought up before. I have since tried to dig up some tapes and I think it could be an interesting choice too, plus you won't need to trade up to get. That guy is Marcus Davis of Virginia Tech at 6'3" and 233 lbs.
Or not. Can't block...won't block, body catcher, not a great route runner, built like an NBA point guard...meh. I would happily take Da'Rick Rogers over him.

Patterson is more of a body catcher, but not Justin Hunter.
I like both players, I think Austin and Patterson can be productive NFL players. That said, the bottomline is this, if you're looking at the guy who will be the most ready to be a major contributor to a Superbowl contender, its very clear that guy is Austin. Patterson has a nice ceiling and a lot of natural talent, but he's a project, he's extremely raw, he'll require more time to develop and he's a guy that would be a repeat of Jenkins, who was significantly further more ready as a prospect. Austin is the most ready to be an immediate contributor, so I would absolutely take him hands down.

I couldn't agree more. I think Patterson will need more time to develop while the ceiling might be higher. My personal choice is Justin Hunter too, plus we won't have to lose an arm and a leg to get him. Patterson will definitely go in the 1st and probably the 1st WR picked. Justin Hunter will be a 2nd rounder I reckon.
Patterson is the real deal with size speed and great run after catch abilities himself. Bigger, stronger, faster is the 49ers MO from now on
To be honest, the more I think about it, it might not be that crazy a thought to draft a WR high, say in the 2nd. I am just not convinced we have enough weapons to go against teams like the Seahawks and Falcons. We have some great slot receivers, but a legit deep ball guy will give us that badly needed huge dimension. Our O is already pretty explosive, imagine if we had a Julio Jones or Roddy White-like guy ?! Kaep will be able to improve on his deep throws too with the opportunities for bigger plays. These deep plays if done right are next to impossible to defend against, just look at how the Falcons were able to torch us and the Seahawks in the 1st half in the playoffs.
Patterson is more of a body catcher, but not Justin Hunter.

Not sure which Justin Hunter you were watching, but it wasn't the guy who plays for Tennessee. Absolute body-catcher, he got away with it because of his relative size/speed advantage, that won't happen in the pro's. He let's a lot of passes go directly to his chest, doesn't get a full grasp with his hands, I kind of see him as a bust in the NFL for that reason. Guys who are body catchers don't usually don't do so hot. His lack of effort when it comes to run-blocking is another major strike against him as well.

Playing in the same offense, without the benefit of Patterson, Da'Rick Rogers put up some great numbers and is a much more sure-handed receiver, a high-effort blocker, more physical, a better threat to get YAC......not as much of a downfield threat, but a very useful receiver that is difficult to bring down in the open field.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:04 PM ]
Originally posted by kronik:
Patterson is the real deal with size speed and great run after catch abilities himself. Bigger, stronger, faster is the 49ers MO from now on

I don't disagree with that especially with his amazing return game. But, to get Patterson, the 9ers will need to go all out to be able to get it done. It is pretty much guaranteed that he will be gone by the 10th pick. You have to be all in with such a move, is like mortaging your house on it.
Not sure which Justin Hunter you were watching, but it wasn't the guy who plays for Tennessee. Absolute body-catcher, he got away with it because of his relative size/speed advantage, that won't happen in the pro's. He let's a lot of passes go directly to his chest, doesn't get a full grasp with his hands, I kind of see him as a bust in the NFL for that reason. Guys who are body catchers don't usually don't do so hot. His lack of effort when it comes to run-blocking is another major strike against him as well.

But, at least agree on something, bottomline we need to go BIG !! Is not even an option. Just look at Seahawks' secondary, those guys are 6'3, 6'4" like Browner, Chancellor and Sherman. If a guy as tough as Vernon can get concussed, Tavon Austin would fly out of the stadium. I haven't really checked out D'Rick Rogers yet I must admit, is he more of a slot guy or a deep ball guy ?
But, at least agree on something, bottomline we need to go BIG !! Is not even an option. Just look at Seahawks' secondary, those guys are 6'3, 6'4" like Browner, Chancellor and Sherman. If a guy as tough as Vernon can get concussed, Tavon Austin would fly out of the stadium. I haven't really checked out D'Rick Rogers yet I must admit, is he more of a slot guy or a deep ball guy ?

Okay, why do you think you need big receivers to face off against big cornerbacks? Other than Brandon Marshall, Seattle shut down virtually every "big" receiver they faced, including Calvin Johnson. I think that having a big target is nice for the redzone, but that could also be a tight-end. I'm not a believer in attacking strength with strength. Browner for example is HUGE, f**king massive for a cornerback but doesn't have the greatest hips nor agility however, so do you think the tougher matchup for him is a bigger,more physical but slower receiver, or a smaller jitterbug that he simply can't stay with due to the receivers' quickness? You beat size with speed, get receivers that go places where the defensive back can't get to as quickly and struggle to keep up with them.

I think you need both, and I would be happy with adding a big, physical target like a Tyler Eifert or Da'Rick Rogers, I would also be psyched about adding a guy like Tavon Austin who is a matchup nightmare, someone you can move around a lot, confuse defenses with, and a guy that bigger cornerbacks will struggle to stay with due to his agility and quickness.
[ Edited by Phoenix49ers on Mar 30, 2013 at 11:15 PM ]