There are 79 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Draft players visiting the niners, and niners going to Prodays

Originally posted by Rascal:
I totally get what you are saying and I can't disagree on the importance of pass rush.

But, I am going to introduce another line of argument here. That is no matter how stout your D is (pass rush inclusive), a great team with a great offense is still going to score on you and perhaps even score on you big. That didn't just happen to us, it happened to the Seahawks too when they played the Falcons. The question is what do you do at that point when you are down by 17, down by 22 at the half ? Your D might be able to get the offense back on the field, but they are not going to win the game for you. What you need is an explosive offense that can put points on the board and ultimately outscore your opponent to win football games. In quite a number of games, we have had those slow starts, we were getting 3 and outs and couldn't finish drives, not to mention our lingering issue in the red zone. I would argue if we had more weapons, it would help to take us over the edge. We almost did it in the Super Bowl, we climbed all the way back with over 20 unanswered points or something along those lines ?

I mentioned this before but I think we could be at a crossroads here. I don't think we will be that Alex Smith type team as much anymore. The run the ball, play good defense and special teams. Don't get me wrong it's a great way to play the game but I think we will be a much more explosive team with Colin. We have a chance to really load up on offense with a TE high and a WR high and let the defense go a little bit. If we wanted to we could be a team that starts trying to win shootouts and we see a lot of 30-27, 35-28 games. Or we can use this draft to build the defense back up and take a FS, DE, maybe NT, SS, CB and maybe wait until the mids rounds for a TE and/or WR. I don't see us as wanting to win that way. I don't think we will let the defense just slip and be like say the Lions or Saints where you try to outscore your oponnent every game and trade TD for TD. Our defense won't be like 2011 but it will still be solid. Same with the ST. We already put a lot of effort into getting the ST back on track. We will try to win with an improved and possibly explosive offense with a solid d and st. Might not see those 20-10 games anymore... could be more like 30-21 but as long as we are winning.

Anyways, I agree though some seem like we absolutely need to get a starting DE and possibly SS in this draft and that's not really true unless we plan on cutting Whitner. Like I mentioned right now the DE will just be depth and probably the same with SS. We have this year and next year's draft to replace Whitner and 2, maybe 3 drafts to replace Justin. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to get someone to groom to take over but we can always wait until next year to get that high pick future starter. We need depth but we don't need a starter. I would say we absolutely need a starting FS in my mind though. If they want to trade down with one 31 or 34 and work the draft or use it for a 1st next year I am fine with that. As long as we come away with a starting FS and a #2 TE to me that's all that is required for now.
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I mentioned this before but I think we could be at a crossroads here. I don't think we will be that Alex Smith type team as much anymore. The run the ball, play good defense and special teams. Don't get me wrong it's a great way to play the game but I think we will be a much more explosive team with Colin. We have a chance to really load up on offense with a TE high and a WR high and let the defense go a little bit. If we wanted to we could be a team that starts trying to win shootouts and we see a lot of 30-27, 35-28 games. Or we can use this draft to build the defense back up and take a FS, DE, maybe NT, SS, CB and maybe wait until the mids rounds for a TE and/or WR. I don't see us as wanting to win that way. I don't think we will let the defense just slip and be like say the Lions or Saints where you try to outscore your oponnent every game and trade TD for TD. Our defense won't be like 2011 but it will still be solid. Same with the ST. We already put a lot of effort into getting the ST back on track. We will try to win with an improved and possibly explosive offense with a solid d and st. Might not see those 20-10 games anymore... could be more like 30-21 but as long as we are winning.

Anyways, I agree though some seem like we absolutely need to get a starting DE and possibly SS in this draft and that's not really true unless we plan on cutting Whitner. Like I mentioned right now the DE will just be depth and probably the same with SS. We have this year and next year's draft to replace Whitner and 2, maybe 3 drafts to replace Justin. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be nice to get someone to groom to take over but we can always wait until next year to get that high pick future starter. We need depth but we don't need a starter. I would say we absolutely need a starting FS in my mind though. If they want to trade down with one 31 or 34 and work the draft or use it for a 1st next year I am fine with that. As long as we come away with a starting FS and a #2 TE to me that's all that is required for now.

To your point about "winning by shootouts", personally I don't see there is anything wrong with it as long as we get the W. But, perhaps more importantly, in the case of the 9ers, I don't think we are even trying to "win by shootouts" by design, in fact I would argue it is not by choice that we have to "win by shootouts" when we play against top teams with a great offense. With less competitive teams, the D might be able to shut them down perhaps. But, we have seen with teams like the Packers, Patriots and Falcons, you really just don't have a choice. Those guys will pile on the points. Just look at the Packers divisional game, it was basically a game of exchanging TDs until eventually Kaep's read option took over. What I am saying is with these top teams you just can't afford to let up cos they will just keep scoring on you no matter what, so as a result you are basically forced to "win by shootouts".

Also, I would argue that was the reason why Harbaugh decided to bench Alex to play Kaep. I think he realised the 9ers simply couldn't carry on just by running the ball, kick field goals and rely on the D. I think he realised that can only take you so far, but defnitely not enough to win the big one.I am just curious to see how bold Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh are. Will they put more priorty on the O in going all out trying to win the Super Bowl this season or play safe to fix the D to field a more balanced roster.
"Florida S Josh Evans has visits lined up with the San Francisco 49ers and New York Jets.

Evans has had previous visits, with teams such as the New England Patriots, New York Giants and Cleveland Browns. It's been said in the past that Evans is a better prospect than teammate Matt Elam, who is also highly regarded. National Football Post's Russ Lande recently wrote that Evans was more fluid and athletic than Elam at the school's pro day. "

Source: Only Gators on Twitter
Apr 11 - 5:28 PM
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 7m CB D.J. Hayden (Houston) is visiting the 49ers today. Projected late 1st/early 2nd. Medical reports very good from various teams.
Originally posted by nick:
Tavon Austin is coming in for a visit and 49ers brass was spotted at SMUs pro day looking at Margus Hunt. Post all of your pro day rumors and who the niners are looking at here! http://www.49erswebzone.com/news/goto.php?id=56752

49ers have attended:
Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State (PRO)
Jonathan Cyprien, DB, Florida International (PRI)
Duke Williams, S, Nevada (PRI)PRO - Pro DayPRI - Private Workout
Tavon Austin (Visting niners)
Margus Hunt (PRO)
David Amerson, DB NC State (interview)

Can you update this first page with ALL of the info/visits/interests, etc. so we don't have to sift through all the pages. This info is critical as to who we may actually have a real interest in (or not).

This is the official thread...thanks nick!
[ Edited by NCommand on Apr 15, 2013 at 5:04 PM ]
Originally posted by valrod33:
Adam Caplan ‏@caplannfl 7m CB D.J. Hayden (Houston) is visiting the 49ers today. Projected late 1st/early 2nd. Medical reports very good from various teams.

I like DJ Hayden. Very interesting prospect!
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 15, 2013 at 4:50 PM ]
Originally posted by Rascal:
To your point about "winning by shootouts", personally I don't see there is anything wrong with it as long as we get the W. But, perhaps more importantly, in the case of the 9ers, I don't think we are even trying to "win by shootouts" by design, in fact I would argue it is not by choice that we have to "win by shootouts" when we play against top teams with a great offense. With less competitive teams, the D might be able to shut them down perhaps. But, we have seen with teams like the Packers, Patriots and Falcons, you really just don't have a choice. Those guys will pile on the points. Just look at the Packers divisional game, it was basically a game of exchanging TDs until eventually Kaep's read option took over. What I am saying is with these top teams you just can't afford to let up cos they will just keep scoring on you no matter what, so as a result you are basically forced to "win by shootouts".

Also, I would argue that was the reason why Harbaugh decided to bench Alex to play Kaep. I think he realised the 9ers simply couldn't carry on just by running the ball, kick field goals and rely on the D. I think he realised that can only take you so far, but defnitely not enough to win the big one.I am just curious to see how bold Trent Baalke and Jim Harbaugh are. Will they put more priorty on the O in going all out trying to win the Super Bowl this season or play safe to fix the D to field a more balanced roster.

I think we did fine with a great defense, average offense, and great STs. Then last year we started to switch much better offense, good defense, poor STs. I want great offense, great defense, and great special teams. So getting a TE and WR, and backup RB are all great and I want to see it get done. But I also want to build up our defense and we need FS, CB, one ILB, one OLB, and a NT and a DE or two. I want our backups to be starters in training, not permanent backups.
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can you update this first page with ALL of the info/visits/interests, etc. so we don't have to sift through all the pages. This info is critical as to who we may actually have a really interest in.

That's the problem with new people posting a thread like this. Should be done by a vet who is here regularly and will keep it up to date.

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-2013-pre-draft-tracker

I think Maiocco has been updating his article. He added Hayden and some others that were news after he posted the article on April 8th

Lawrence Okoye Visited with Us
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000159336/article/lawrence-okoye-reportedly-visits-49ers-saints-next
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 7:33 PM ]
That's the problem with new people posting a thread like this. Should be done by a vet who is here regularly and will keep it up to date.

I think Maiocco has been updating his article. He added Hayden and some others that were news after he posted the article on April 8th

There was an article back in February that talked about the 49ers interest in Hayden as well, the big issue was him getting a health clearance, which by all accounts seems to have been satisfied.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
There was an article back in February that talked about the 49ers interest in Hayden as well, the big issue was him getting a health clearance, which by all accounts seems to have been satisfied.

Phoenix, would love to get your thoughts on CB's. Haven't studied them really at all. Who do you like? I figured it wouldn't be too high of a need. I see it being Brown, Culliver, Rogers/Nnamdi at 3 and 4, 5 Cox, 6 Brock. Don't see Brock getting cut or we wouldn't have tendered him. He had 15 tackles on ST last year which I believe led the team. Seems like we want him back for that reason. Out of them all Cox seems like the most likely to get cut but to me he played well in the little chances he got. Besides, if Brock is active due to ST then we probably have to sit the #5 anyways. What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Edit: as for that article I see Josh Evans and Okoye on it which was recent too so I think it's up to date.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 15, 2013 at 7:31 PM ]
Originally posted by NCommand:
Can you update this first page with ALL of the info/visits/interests, etc. so we don't have to sift through all the pages. This info is critical as to who we may actually have a really interest in.

True! But this helps as well (nice reference). Thank you...
Originally posted by PTulini:

Originally posted by PTulini:
Originally posted by valrod33:

Hell yea! I hope we get him
Jamar Taylor CB Boise St set to visit 49ers
An ravens insider says Gerald Hodges LB Penn St has a visit setup with 49ers
Matt Barrows ‏@mattbarrows 40s In the Tank: #49ers to get close look at FSU defensive lineman Tank Carradine ... http://sacb.ee/15dRi5v