There are 235 users in the forums

Draft players visiting the niners, and niners going to Prodays

• Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Definitely not saying that we have to have a pre-draft visit. I am sure we have picked guys who we have just watched workout. Probably some we didn't show any interest in at all. When they draft a player imo it's like the stars have to align or everything has to fall into place. In the past I have heard Baalke and/or Haraugh say we wanted to draft guys like Marecic, Sherman, Baldin, etc and other non-Stanford players but it just didn't fall into place. Think about us drafting... 1 the player has to be around at our pick obviously 2. it has to be the right round and the right spot... (value) 3. He has to be the highest rated on our board or the highest player at that position. 4. the need has to be there along with best player available (bpa)... not saying we wont get guys that are bpa even if it isn't a need but it's unlikely. Like we wouldn't take a ILB in the 1st round just because he is the BPA. 5. he has to fit our system 6. he has to be our type of player/person... we will cross off many guys who don't fit our scheme, our player type/person type. Some teams automatically cross of troubled players. Some teams don't. Some like smaller faster players, some like big strong players... (ex: small quick CB vs a Richard Sherman type). So that's a lot of things that have to add up. It just isn't we had a pre-draft visit we will get him if he is there. Or we didn't have a visit or watch him workout we won't pick him. Baalke is very hard to predict... we hold our cards tight. So anyways, it's a lot of stars aligning for a player to be picked.

Just an example how a draft can change like that... let's say we were next on the board and were ready to pick Datone Jones at 31. The team in front of us picks him. All of a sudden we went from ready to take a DE to taking a TE. Our (#2 or whatever) ranked DE was rated below the FS we are taking now. So we totally changed positions... and let's say at 61 we don't feel the DE's left are worth value... now we went from De at 31 to DE possibly at 74... big difference. I am sure it's happened where we were dead set on a player. He was taked the pick before or a few picks before. We feel the player we have #2 on our board will still be there so we trade down or maybe even give the pick away for a higher round pick next year. We did this with bowman in 2010... We were picking in the 70s I believe. We thought he would still be there in the 90s so we traded down and got San Diego's 4th rounder next year and still got our man. It's a lot of risk... we probably had the list of teams between us and SD and said they aren't likely to take a LB.

A great read !! All I can say is drafting is as much a science as it is an art !! Very interesting.

One last one if I may, have you noticed any tendencies at all with the types of players the 9ers tend to pick ?The only thing that I can think of is they don't like to draft divas. They like down-to-earth guys, may be not to the extent of high-character, but definitely easier going type folks. I suspect they see that as a trait for being a great locker room guy and they seem to value a lot in that locker room. Anything else you might have noticed ? Small speedy backs and wideouts as opposed to big, tall physical guys perhaps ?
Originally posted by mayo49:
Originally posted by 49ersfaithful85:
Quinton Dial DL Alabama is visting 49ers according to rotoworld

Nice first post, faithful85.

Not a sexy player, doesn't get a lot of pressure on the QB but knows his role, understands the scheme and has the kind of size to be a force against the run (legit 6'5", 320). Very good rotational player who could see action as a rookie.
Originally posted by NTeply49:
http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2013meetingsteams.php

has a list of all players we've met with from East West Shrine Game to pre draft visits

Keenan Allen, WR, California (COM) Tavon Austin, WR, West Virginia (PRI) Jeff Baca, OL, UCLA (EW) Jonathan Cyprien, DB, Florida International (PRI) Quinton Dial, DL, Alabama (PRI) Zach Ertz, TE, Stanford (COM) Gavin Escobar, TE, San Diego State (PRO) Matt Furstenburg, TE, Maryland (PRI) Tyrone Goard, WR, Eastern Kentucky (PRI) Terry Hawthorne, CB, Illinois (EW) Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State (EW) John Jenkins, DL, Georgia (PRI) Luke Joeckel, OL, Texas A&M (COM) Travis Kelce, TE, Cincinnati (COM) Zach Line, RB, SMU (COM) (EW) Tyrann Mathieu, DB, LSU (PRI) Sio Moore, LB, Connecticut (EW) Zeke Motta, S, Notre Dame (EW) Quinton Patton, WR, Louisiana Tech (COM) Eric Reid, DB, LSU (VINT) Sheldon Richardson, DL, Missouri (COM) Phillip Thomas, DB, Fresno State (SR) Shamarko Thomas, S, Syracuse (EW) Melvin White, CB, Louisiana Lafayette (EW) Duke Williams, DB, Nevada (PRI) Robert Woods, WR, USC (COM)

A quick mock draft from that list:

1st - Sheldon Richardson DE (trade up would be necessary most likely)
2nd - Quinton Patton WR
2nd - John Jenkins NT
3rd - Travis Kelce TE
3rd - Tyrann Matheiu CB
I like Gavin Escobar.
Originally posted by Rascal:
A great read !! All I can say is drafting is as much a science as it is an art !! Very interesting. One last one if I may, have you noticed any tendencies at all with the types of players the 9ers tend to pick ?The only thing that I can think of is they don't like to draft divas. They like down-to-earth guys, may be not to the extent of high-character, but definitely easier going type folks. I suspect they see that as a trait for being a great locker room guy and they seem to value a lot in that locker room. Anything else you might have noticed ? Small speedy backs and wideouts as opposed to big, tall physical guys perhaps ?

I have noticed that Baalke is a heck of a lot harder to figure out then McCloughan. McCloughan took a few risks but he was bigger on the productive college players. He seemed to be into high character guys and was more of a bigger, taller, more powerful type guy than a small quick guy. Baalke sure isn't afraid of speed but he will take the big guys as well. I think he likes college production but he's not afraid to take a risk. He doesn't mind small schools either. A lot of the guys we take are good locker room guys but for sure he likes guys who will work hard and you have to love football. One thing that McCloughan probably didn't worry about as much about.... look at Coffee and Balmer. Not that McCloughan was a bad GM... he was solid in the draft but had a lot of early misses. Had some mid to late hits though. I think he struggled more with FA than the draft. Baalke is better in both.... I think he and Harbaugh can figure out quickly if the player is about football or not. They can really read these guys which a lot of gms/coaches can't. A lot of the new free agents, rookies, combine interviewees, etc talk about how Jim and Trent love to talk ball. They strike up a conversation with these players and can see what they are about and how much they love the game real quick. They also want guys to be ultra competitive... a lot of guys are content collecting a paycheck and not winning or standing on the sidelines with the backward cap. They want guys who want to be starters and want to win. They will find out quick what type of guy you are. Competition is a huge thing with them... that and the team, the team, the team. With the atmosphere and system the coaches and front office have built we should be in good shape for a long time. It's what the Patriots, Steelers, Packers and Ravens have done as well... it's what makes them good for so long. Next coach up, next player up, work the draft, sign bargain FAs or the right guys... get your own re-signed...
Just found this: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-2013-pre-draft-tracker (Updated April 8)

Running Backs:
Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State), personal session at pro day

Wide Receivers:
Tavon Austin (West Virginia), visit, April 2 (
Tyrone Goard (Eastern Kentucky), private workout
Terrell Sinkfield (Northern Iowa), private workout
Greg Wilson (Fordham), private workout
Martel Moore (Northern Illinois), private workout, March 15
Perez Ashford (Northern Illinois), private workout, March 15

Tight Ends:
Gavin Escobar (San Diego State), visit, March 18
Matt Furstenburg (Maryland), private workout

Defensive Lineman:
NT John Jenkins (Georgia), visit
DT Quinton Dial (Alamaba), visit

Cornerbacks:
Tyrann Mathieu (LSU), visit, April 6
Rashaan Melvin (Northern Illinois), private workout, March 15

Safeties:
Jonathan Cyprien (Florida International), visit
Duke Williams (Nevada), personal session at pro day

Special Teams:
LS Kevin McDermott (UCLA), private workout

LOCAL PRO DAY:
The 49ers will hold a pro day at the team's Santa Clara practice facility in which draft-eligible players from Cal, Stanford and San Jose State may attend. Also, athletes from the Bay Area who played college ball out of the area are eligible to participate. These visits do not count against the 49ers' 30-player pre-draft maximum.

Players from 2011 That Signed as UDFA:
Derek Hall, Konrad Reuland, Chase Beeler, Jeremiah Mosoli

Players from 2012 That Signed as UDFA: (Haven't found an official list but players I think participated)
Georgio Telchvecio, Michael Thomas, Matt Masafilo, Chris Owusu (didn't participate due to injury but was on sidelines), etc.

So look for us to draft or sign as UDFA maybe 1-2 or more of these guys that participate this year.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:56 AM ]
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Gore_21:
Just found this: http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-2013-pre-draft-tracker (Updated April 8)

Running Backs:
Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State), personal session at pro day

Wide Receivers:
Tavon Austin (West Virginia), visit, April 2 (
Tyrone Goard (Eastern Kentucky), private workout
Terrell Sinkfield (Northern Iowa), private workout
Greg Wilson (Fordham), private workout
Martel Moore (Northern Illinois), private workout, March 15
Perez Ashford (Northern Illinois), private workout, March 15

Tight Ends:
Gavin Escobar (San Diego State), visit, March 18
Matt Furstenburg (Maryland), private workout

Defensive Lineman:
NT John Jenkins (Georgia), visit
DT Quinton Dial (Alamaba), visit

Cornerbacks:
Tyrann Mathieu (LSU), visit, April 6
Rashaan Melvin (Northern Illinois), private workout, March 15

Safeties:
Jonathan Cyprien (Florida International), visit
Duke Williams (Nevada), personal session at pro day

Special Teams:
LS Kevin McDermott (UCLA), private workout

LOCAL PRO DAY:
The 49ers will hold a pro day at the team's Santa Clara practice facility in which draft-eligible players from Cal, Stanford and San Jose State may attend. Also, athletes from the Bay Area who played college ball out of the area are eligible to participate. These visits do not count against the 49ers' 30-player pre-draft maximum.

Players from 2011 That Signed as UDFA:
Derek Hall, Konrad Reuland, Chase Beeler, Jeremiah Mosoli

Players from 2012 That Signed as UDFA: (Haven't found an official list but players I think participated)
Georgio Telchvecio, Michael Thomas, Matt Masafilo, Chris Owusu (didn't participate due to injury but was on sidelines), etc.

So look for us to draft or sign as UDFA maybe 1-2 or more of these guys that participate this year.

Yes, I read this article. Matt Maiocco has deliberately narrowed it down to only visits and private workouts and excluded combine interviews and conversations or discussions during pro-days. I have to say this is quite a small list though. I am hoping it is just 9ers' tactics in keeping things on the low, like LaMichael James for example, they only had a chat with him at the combine and nothing else after that.
http://www.examiner.com/article/49ers-pre-draft-visit-tracker

Here the full list of players who have visited Santa Clara leading up to the Draft:

Running Backs:

Le'Veon Bell (Michigan State), had personal session at his pro day. (San Francisco Chronicle)

Wide Receivers:

Tavon Austin (West Virginia) visited Santa Clara on April 2. (Sacramento Bee)

Tyrone Goard (Eastern Kentucky) will have a private workout. (Scout.com)

Greg Wilson (Fordham) will have a private workout. (NFL Draft Bible)

Martel Moore (Northern Illinois), had a private workout on March 15. (DeKalb Daily Chronicle)

Perez Ashford (Northern Illinois), had a private workout on March 15. (DeKalb Daily Chronicle)

Tight Ends:

Matt Furstenberg (Maryland) had a private workout. (NFL.com)

Gavin Escobar (San Diego State), visited Santa Clara on March 18. (Draft Insider)

Offensive linemen:

David Quessenberry (San Jose State), will visit the week of April 15. (Sacramento Bee)

Luke Marquardt (Azusa Pacific) is scheduled to visit the 49ers on an unknown date. (The Sacramento Bee)

Defensive linemen:

NT John Jenkins (Georgia) is scheduled to visit the 49ers the week of April 9. (NFL.com)

DT Quinton Dial (Alabama) will visit the 49ers. (Scout.com)

Cornerbacks:

Tyrann Mathieu (LSU), scheduled to visit on April 9. (Sacramento Bee)

Rashaan Melvin (Northern Illinois) had a private workout on March 15. (DeKalb Daily Chronicle)

Safeties:

Jonathan Cyprien (Florida International) is scheduled to visit the 49ers on an unknown date. (Pro Football Talk)

S/CB Duke Williams (Nevada) is scheduled to have a workout with the 49ers on an unknown date. (Scout.com)

Special Teams:

LS Kevin McDermott (UCLA), will have a private workout. (Draft Insider)
[ Edited by PTulini on Apr 9, 2013 at 2:37 PM ]
Member Milestone: This is post number 300 for smithc28.
The more I read the more I have a feeling we're gonna jump up for Tavon Austin.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by smithc28:

I think is quite possible. If that happens, I also think they might draft a tall/big receiver in the later rounds to cover the grounds.

Originally posted by smithc28:

I think is quite possible. If that happens, I also think they might draft a tall/big receiver in the later rounds to cover the grounds.

Its probably just more me hoping and i keep seeing links, would probably be the same if i had a different draft crush
No visit for Eric Reid.

Baalke is eying him for sure.
  • Rascal
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SFrush:
No visit for Eric Reid.

If he is, he might have to trade up in the 1st to get him.
  • Jcool
  • Veteran
Matt Maiocco ‏@MaioccoCSN

Stanford TE Zach Ertz is scheduled to attend 49ers local pro day on April 17. He'll meet with coaches but is not expected to work out.
Originally posted by SFrush:
No visit for Eric Reid.

If he is, he might have to trade up in the 1st to get him.

Am I imagining articles now, i thought a week or two ago there was an article that indicated the Niners really liked and were interested in Reid, maybe it was at LSUs proday.
Share 49ersWebzone