LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 145 users in the forums

MadDog's 2013 NFL Draft Best Available Board

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Let me answer my own question

From Walter Football

Georgia Pro Day Notes: Jarvis Jones did not have a good Pro Day. He ran a 4.92 and jumped poorly. His vertical and broad numbers were just about the same as 340-pound Kwame Geathers'. With this poor performance and the spinal stenosis issue lingering, Jones is expected to fall on Draft Day. I've had him going to the Steelers for a long time in my 2013 NFL Mock Draft.

Quite a shame, since he seems like a really likes likeable kid.

Something has to give in explaining the Georgia defense in 2012. This defense should have allowed 50 points all year with the talent on the field. I have the team with 8 starters being drafted this year. Something just doesn't add up for me. 18th in scoring defense, even behind the mighty.....Vanderbilt.
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Mar 27, 2013 at 1:16 PM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:

From Walter Football

Georgia Pro Day Notes: Jarvis Jones did not have a good Pro Day. He ran a 4.92 and jumped poorly. His vertical and broad numbers were just about the same as 340-pound Kwame Geathers'. With this poor performance and the spinal stenosis issue lingering, Jones is expected to fall on Draft Day. I've had him going to the Steelers for a long time in my 2013 NFL Mock Draft.

Something has to give in explaining the Georgia defense in 2012. This defense should have allowed 50 points all year with the talent on the field. I have the team with 8 starters being drafted this year. Something just doesn't add up for me.

I guess that's why you're a little low on Georgia players (minus Cornellius Washington, who seems to be an athletic freak).
I guess that's why you're a little low on Georgia players (minus Cornellius Washington, who seems to be an athletic freak).

It looks like one of those USC defenses from 8 years ago, just stacked with talent.
Originally posted by blm7754:
Travis Kelce over Zach Ertz?! Explain yourself, man!

Three words: Êrtz can't block...at all. Oops, five words!

Some teams can work around this deficiency, but I would rather take a more well rounded player at the position. I see Êrtz with late second round value.

Interesting... highlight videos don't tend to show TE's blocking. I didn't know he was such a liability. If that's the case, I hope we pass on him. I can't stand watching a guy like Vernon Davis being kept in to block. We need a well rounded TE to take on some of Davis's blocking duties.
FWIW, I don't think Ertz lacks any more power than Walker did. Neither are gonna drive defenders off their spot.

From Walter Football

Something has to give in explaining the Georgia defense in 2012. This defense should have allowed 50 points all year with the talent on the field. I have the team with 8 starters being drafted this year. Something just doesn't add up for me. 18th in scoring defense, even behind the mighty.....Vanderbilt.

jones poor workouts notwithstanding, the fact is that he has been as productive as any defender the past 2 seasons as far as tackles for loss, forced fumbles and sacks..weighing production versus measurables has to be one of the hardest things for these teams evaluation players....if they focued on measurables alone, niners never take jerry rice in the 1st round

From Walter Football

Something has to give in explaining the Georgia defense in 2012. This defense should have allowed 50 points all year with the talent on the field. I have the team with 8 starters being drafted this year. Something just doesn't add up for me.

washington only produced 1/2 a sack all season last year, though he did have 20 qb pressures...
Originally posted by iLL49er:
Tank Carradine is THE PLAYER to get...we need to move up and make sure we acquire him if he drops into the late teens early 20's

i have read several reports calling him the best pure pass rusher in the draft, but the consensus also seems to be that he is rather stiff, and not a good candidate to transition to outside linebacker...that might not be a problem though given how much the niners defense lined up with 4 down lineman
Originally posted by hofer36:

From Walter Football

jones poor workouts notwithstanding, the fact is that he has been as productive as any defender the past 2 seasons as far as tackles for loss, forced fumbles and sacks..weighing production versus measurables has to be one of the hardest things for these teams evaluation players....if they focued on measurables alone, niners never take jerry rice in the 1st round

Does Jarvis Jones project as a 3-4 OLB? or just a 4-3 OLB?
Originally posted by hofer36:
i have read several reports calling him the best pure pass rusher in the draft, but the consensus also seems to be that he is rather stiff, and not a good candidate to transition to outside linebacker...that might not be a problem though given how much the niners defense lined up with 4 down lineman

I don't know if he's stiff but i'm stiff for him....the more i see of him the more its clear this guy is the best DE in the draft..he gives 100% effort every play, he can play the run and he can rush the passer well.

there are 2 players in my humble opinion that are worth moving up for if they drop to the late teens or early 20's

1. Tank Carradine
2. Desmond Trufant

I think these are the 2 players we need to ensure we get 1 of them...if we can get both even better. Love Trufant, he's far and away the best CB in this draft, the Millner hype machine is ridiculous, Trufant is the guy to get

As many board members remember, I gushed about him at the Senior Bowl, but he shuts it down too often for me. I'd rather take a guy with a nonstop motor. When focused, he easily meets the Top 50 criteria.
Understandable. This year I actually thought he showed alot of focus and motor. He was playing through an injury and double teams, then when Purdue's other DT got hurt, teams were sometimes throwing a third guy to block him.
Do you see Eddie Lacy as a RB worthy of spending a 1st round pick (given the devaluation of the position).
Originally posted by ParkingLotPimpin:
Keenan Allen getting no respect
His stock is falling fast.
[ Edited by SFrush on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:51 PM ]
Figured there would be more movement than most years but...this is a huge scramble! Will be anxious to see other boards and movement there-on. Thanks for doing this--keeps it interesting!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:52 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by RollinWith21n52:
I've been on the Hopkins bandwagon for months! My favorite receiver in this draft, and actually one of my favorite players. I also think receiver is a need

Boldin - 1 year contract
Crabtree - Contract year, and may seek a HUGE payday
AJ Jenkins - Too early to write off, but how much do you alter your draft for a guy whose career stat line reads: 1 drop
Manningham - Last year of contract, coming off of major injury
Kyle Williams - Last year of contract, coming off of major injury, yet to have 250 receiving yards in a season

Having said that, there are 5 WR who are not going anywhere. Further, I think we'll draft at least 1 who has return ability (specifically punts) and the team seems high on Lockett. They will at least want to give him a fighter's chance to make the squad. I'm not sure I see how Hopkins fits in this year. I want us to draft him, but does it make sense?

That PCL Manningham tore takes 9 to 12 months to heal, plus he tore the ACL also.

You would think the combination of tears would slow down his recuperation.

He reduced his salary and most of that is covered by an injury release.
It would be better for him to rehab with the 49ers than to be released.

I would not be surprised if he gets put on injured return with the possibility of returning late in the season.

Just my thoughts
[ Edited by buck on Mar 27, 2013 at 5:55 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone