There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Snap Count and Drafting a Nose Tackle

I'm against drafting a "pure" NT...i.e. a guy who only plays that position. As much as Fangio employs a hybrid defense, it just doesn't make that much sense to not acquire/draft a guy who can play anywhere on the DL...that's what Dorsey can do, although I believe his best position is DT/NT. Nonetheless, why not pick guys who can do it all...and there are a goodly number of them available in this draft. It definitely gives Fangio more flexibility and it should improve the versatility of that group.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I'm against drafting a "pure" NT...i.e. a guy who only plays that position. As much as Fangio employs a hybrid defense, it just doesn't make that much sense to not acquire/draft a guy who can play anywhere on the DL...that's what Dorsey can do, although I believe his best position is DT/NT. Nonetheless, why not pick guys who can do it all...and there are a goodly number of them available in this draft. It definitely gives Fangio more flexibility and it should improve the versatility of that group.

Jesse Williams says hello.
Originally posted by Butter:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:

Jesse Williams says hello.

Jesse Williams isn't much of a pass rushing threat. So yeah, he's athletic and can play NT or the 5 technique, but he doesn't get to the QB very well.

Perhaps it's a technique issue. Maybe it's because he was always double teamed at Alabama. Point it, he isn't a major pass rushing threat right now. Maybe he could develop into one.
Buck, look no further, Baalke already signed the NT you are looking for, Glenn Dorsey. I'm looking forward to seeing him line up at DT on passing downs with a one gap assignment. As a 2 gap NT, all he has to do is occupy two blockers, which he has done in Kansas City's 3-4. Or, if Fangio sets him loose as a one gap NT, he has the quickness to disrupt running plays in the backfield. The more we can use Dorsey in a one gap scheme, the more we play to his strengths, which KC didn't.

As to Soap's snap count going down 10%, I think that teams decided that we were really hard to run against, and so adopted a spread approach to force us into a 4-2-5. Going forward, I believe we will see even more 3 and 4 receiver sets.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mebemused:
Buck, look no further, Baalke already signed the NT you are looking for, Glenn Dorsey. I'm looking forward to seeing him line up at DT on passing downs with a one gap assignment. As a 2 gap NT, all he has to do is occupy two blockers, which he has done in Kansas City's 3-4. Or, if Fangio sets him loose as a one gap NT, he has the quickness to disrupt running plays in the backfield. The more we can use Dorsey in a one gap scheme, the more we play to his strengths, which KC didn't.

As to Soap's snap count going down 10%, I think that teams decided that we were really hard to run against, and so adopted a spread approach to force us into a 4-2-5. Going forward, I believe we will see even more 3 and 4 receiver sets.

Do you really think Dorsey can play the nose?

If you are right, that would be wonderful.

If Dorsey can pressure the passer or collapse the pocket, we should see more variety in our defensive set on passing downs.

I will try to get my mind around Dorsey and Williams holding the center. Not sure, I can do that. We will see.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
I don't think we need one that bad. We have Ian, who mostlikely will be a solid starter, will give us what we need 30% a season, we will mostlikely grabe a guy to compete with him. I think we have a bigger hole at Fs and Back up tightend. Two major pieces of the superbowl run left in goldson and walker. I wouldn't say issac was much of anything besides a fat guy who just stood in the middle why everyone else made plays around him. I think Ian will give us the same if not better production than issac ever did. Again I hate issac and thought he was the most overrated niner by this board, with that said im glad he's gone. I think It's BPA for either FS, TE, DT and if Austin the wr falls all beats are off.

The notion that the nose tackle only played 30% of the defensive snaps is wrong; way wrong.

According to Matt Barrows the team played 1014 defensive plays.

Three players lined up a nose tackle during the regular season:Isaac Sopoaga, Ricky Jean Francois, and Ian Williams.

Snaps played at nose tackle

Ian Williams 3
Ricky Jean-Francois 190
Isaac Sopoaga 335
total nose tackle snap 528

SF had a nose tackle on the field for 49.95% of the regular season defensive plays.

I do think that there is a good chance that we will draft a nose tackle in the first three rounds of the draft.

I got the number of defensive snaps from Matt Barrows.

http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2013/01/snap-judgments-a-look-at-49ers-playing-time-in-2012.html

I got the number of defense snaps taken by a 49er nose tackle from Pro Football Focus

https://www.profootballfocus.com/data/by_position.php?tab=by_position&season=2012&pos=DT&stype=r&runpass=&teamid=28&numsnaps=0&numgames=1