LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 320 users in the forums

Drafting a NT

Justin Smith plays DT in nickel and dime formations. In those formations, the d-line will look like this:

Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Glenn Dorsey, Ray McDonald

The team still needs a space-eater, capable of helping stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. It's not an early round priority, but it's a position currently vacant, much like free safety, that needs to be filled by an immediate contributor.
Originally posted by doc_brown_:
Justin Smith plays DT in nickel and dime formations. In those formations, the d-line will look like this:

Aldon Smith, Justin Smith, Glenn Dorsey, Ray McDonald

The team still needs a space-eater, capable of helping stop the run on 1st and 2nd downs. It's not an early round priority, but it's a position currently vacant, much like free safety, that needs to be filled by an immediate contributor.

I don't think this is accurate. In Nickel/Dime situations, it would be best to have:

Brooks - RayMac - Justin - Aldon
What about the 2014 NFL draft how is it looking for DT's & DE's who are the top prospects thank you in advance?
Getting a good NT will help out Mac and Smith. Sopoaga ,Rjf were easily blocked by 1 player i'd like Jenkins,Sylvester,Brandon Williams 2nd pick in the second round or 1st pick in the 3rd...
I always thought Fangio like the smaller dt's who could get upfield and put pressure on the Qb. We run a onegap system I believe so that would be a smaller Nose. But than again maybe fangio likes a fat guy who can also passrush so he can do both... Hard to tell is it to late to go back and not take woods and draft vince wilfork? Yes im still pissed we didn't take him I wanted him at either pick we had than we trade trade and bam pats take him and we get woods... SO PISSED!!!!!
I think it's really important to draft a guy who can play NT...but who can also play DT in the hybrid and DE, whether you're in the 3-4 alignment or hybrid. It makes no sense to me to draft a guy who can only play NT. It limits Fangio's flexibility to be able move guys around to create the best front...fortunately, there are a number of guys in this draft who can do it all. Baalke should draft one of those guys.
Agree that the niners may not use a top pick on a NT if there is nearly equal value latter on (3rd or 4th). They still need explosive play-makers all over the lineup. S is a priority, but past that they really can concentrate on taking guys who can either collapse the pocket, break away as a WR/Returner, or take away a receiver and take the ball away at CB.

If they believe Jesse Williams is the kind of monster who can dominate on the LOS for years to come then he will likely be one of the first two picks. I like what I read about the guy's motor and his speed/size, but really don't know if he dominated in college to demonstrate an ability to dominate in the NFL.

Think about explosive players on the team currently:
Offense? Kaepernick and James. That's it.
Defense? Willis, Bowman, Justin and Aldon...all front seven players.

Now what are the weaknesses?
Offense: Center? Not immediate. 3rd WR? Williams, Jenkins, Manningham (when healthy).
Defense: S and backup DL...maybe CB but they didn't lose anyone of significance.

This lack of immediate need is why I believe the 9ers are in the cat-bird seat, being able to move anywhere to pick play-makers.
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I think it's really important to draft a guy who can play NT...but who can also play DT in the hybrid and DE, whether you're in the 3-4 alignment or hybrid. It makes no sense to me to draft a guy who can only play NT. It limits Fangio's flexibility to be able move guys around to create the best front...fortunately, there are a number of guys in this draft who can do it all. Baalke should draft one of those guys.

In a perfect world, perhaps. But let's face it. Taking double teams and playing snaps at that weight takes a toll later in games. You want to keep your fatties well preserved throughout the game (and season).. So having a NT that excels only at run-stuffing in your base D alone isn't a bad thing. How many NTs can really play on 3rd and long, and why would you really want them to if you have better pass rush options? How many run-stuffing champs at NT can actually be that efficient at pressuring QBs as well. There's nothing wrong with a 2 down NT that comes off on obvious pass situations. Teams just don't need to feel pressured to draft such a player early on... unless it is a luxury for them to do so.
  • LVJay
  • Veteran
T.J. Barnes, Georgia Tech (6'6", 369lbs) 5th round
Kwame Geathers, Georgia (6'6", 342lbs) 6th round

work these guys out like dogs--STRONG MAN COMPETITION (pulling/pushing busses) and let them eat like sumo wrestlers. put them in the rotation to crush the pocket!
Share 49ersWebzone