LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 262 users in the forums

Drafting a NT

It's no secret that the 49ers will draft a NT to fill the void created by the departure of Isaac Sopoaga. The 49ers play a base 3-4 scheme and need a large-framed DT.

As it stands, Ian Williams and Lamar Divens will compete for playing time as the NT, but I don't know much about these players. Williams, like Ricky Jean-Francois, seems undersized to play NT (6'1", 305lbs). Divens (6'3", 335lbs), on the other hand, has the bulk to be a space-eater in a 3-4. However, one has to wonder if he will ever make it as a prominent player in the NFL, since he is already 28 years old.

Therefore, the Niners will have to add to the defensive line by drafting a big, fat, space-eating NT in the early to mid rounds of the 2013 draft. The good news is that there seems to be a lot of big guys available in this years draft class.

Star Lotulelei, Utah (6'3", 311lbs) - 1st round
Jonathan Hankins, Ohio State (6'3", 320lbs) - 1st round

Jesse Williams, Alabama (6'4", 323lbs) 2nd round
Sylvester Williams, North Carolina (6'3", 313lbs) 2nd round

John Jenkins, Georgia (6'4", 346lbs) 3rd round
Brandon Williams, Missouri Southern (6'1", 335lbs) 3rd round

Montori Hughes, Tennessee-Martin (6'4", 329lbs) 4th round
T.J. Barnes, Georgia Tech (6'6", 369lbs) 5th round
Kwame Geathers, Georgia (6'6", 342lbs) 6th round

The 49ers will pick a player based on the following criteria:
- High motor
- Has a nasty side
- Willing to compete
- Coachable
- High character
- Good collegiate program

My knowledge of NCAA players is very limited, so I'm asking you WEBZONERS for assistance. Who do you think is the best fit at NT based on the above criteria and when should the 49ers pull the trigger?
[ Edited by doc_brown_ on Mar 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM ]
Brandon Williams from N. Missouri could be the guy... in late rd 2 or in the early 3rd, perhaps.

I am not really as convinced that we will look hard for a NT, to be honest. Sounds like they have some faith in Ian W and Dorsey to take on that role... a role which only contributed to about 30% of our defensive snaps. Ian W is probably thicker than his listed weight by now... I wouldn't concern yourself with his size. If we were running your daddy's traditional 2-gap 3-4? then that's another matter.
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Brandon Williams from N. Missouri could be the guy... in late rd 2 or in the early 3rd, perhaps.

I am not really as convinced that we will look hard for a NT, to be honest. Sounds like they have some faith in Ian W and Dorsey to take on that role... a role which only contributed to about 30% of our defensive snaps. Ian W is probably thicker than his listed weight by now... I wouldn't concern yourself with his size. If we were running your daddy's traditional 2-gap 3-4? then that's another matter.

beat me to it. he's my favorite player to draft as our future NT. he's got a good motor, very quick for his size, and violent hands. could have the most violent hands among the rest of the d-linemen in the draft
  • buck
  • Veteran

"a role which only contributed to about 30% of our defensive snaps."

Sopoaga played 30 % percent of snaps. (I have also seen 34%.) But was he the only player to take any snaps at nose tackle?

Sopoaga missed one game. RJF replaced him.

You have to add the number of snaps played at nose tackle by Sopoaga, RJF, and Ian Williams to get a accurate percentage.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:

Sopoaga played 30 % percent of snaps. (I have also seen 34%.) But was he the only player to take any snaps at nose tackle?

You have to add the number of snaps played at nose tackle by Sopoaga, RJF, and Ian Williams to get a accurate percentage.

This is why I really like Jesse Williams. With his size and speed, it seems he can be extremely versatile. I think the Niners would really value the versatility.
Johnathan Jenkins weighs a whopping 360 lbs., not 343.
Originally posted by GNielsen:
Johnathan Jenkins weighs a whopping 360 lbs., not 343.

he weighed in at 346 at the combine
Originally posted by buck:

Nit-picking a bit, but yeah ok... point taken.
jesse williams in the 2nd
gwame geathers in the 5th
Legit question...

With the league transitioning toward a passing league, is a huge 330+ lb NT really needed in a 3-4. Would we be better off with three pass rushing threats at the three D-line positions? We have our cleanup crew in Willis and Bowman. Would a player like Sheldon Richardson/Kawann Short with Justin and RayMac be a more dangerous defense than a run stuffer like Vince Wilfork?

Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Legit question...

With the league transitioning toward a passing league, is a huge 330+ lb NT really needed in a 3-4. Would we be better off with three pass rushing threats at the three D-line positions? We have our cleanup crew in Willis and Bowman. Would a player like Sheldon Richardson/Kawann Short with Justin and RayMac be a more dangerous defense than a run stuffer like Vince Wilfork?

I don't think you necessarily need a 330+ lb NT for the 3-4 to be successful, but you do need a guy on the line to be able to take on double teams. That guy, for us, has been Justin Smith. It's why we can play with NTs who aren't necessarily great at taking on double teams like Franklin, Sopoaga, RJF, and soon to be Dorsey, and still be successful. If we can find that guy who we feel can duplicate what Smith does for this D, whether he is a NT or 3-4 DE, I think we need to take him.
^ I actually think RayMac takes on the most double teams... but I don't know how or strongly care to go about proving it.
Either Jesse Williams, or John Jenkins please.
Originally posted by amg1713:
Originally posted by NinerBuff:
Legit question...

I don't think you necessarily need a 330+ lb NT for the 3-4 to be successful, but you do need a guy on the line to be able to take on double teams. That guy, for us, has been Justin Smith. It's why we can play with NTs who aren't necessarily great at taking on double teams like Franklin, Sopoaga, RJF, and soon to be Dorsey, and still be successful. If we can find that guy who we feel can duplicate what Smith does for this D, whether he is a NT or 3-4 DE, I think we need to take him.

^ I actually think RayMac takes on the most double teams... but I don't know how or strongly care to go about proving it.

I still think we can get a guy that can take the double teams and be a pass rusher. If we can get pressure from all three positions, our secondary and OLBs will get a significant bump. It does mean we take a hit in terms of run defense, but I honestly think rush defense is less important these days. You still can't give up 5 yards a carry, but if you can't get the QB, you give up 15+ yards per play.
Star Lotulelei and Jonathan Hankins are my favorites. Both are capable of playing anywhere on the 3-4 DL. And they aren't just "fat run stuffers". They can collapse the pocket and wreck havoc in the backfield.

Star would be out of reach. But I'd trade up if Hankins falls past 20.
Share 49ersWebzone