LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 270 users in the forums

blm7754's Revised Mock (Rounds 1-4 w/ Trades)

Draft day is getting closer. Time for a revised mock. I've included realistic trades in this one, which I will explain. I also tried to focus on players that not only fill a position of need, but also possess traits/skills that we need from those positions.

So here we go...

Trades:
Picks 1st (31), 3rd (94) and 5th (164) to the Colts for their 1st (24). The colts only have 5 draft picks and would love to get more. We need impact players and may need to leapfrog some other teams to get the right guys.

Picks 2nd (34) and 6th (180) to the Giants for their 2nd (49) and 3rd (81). The Giants should be looking for impact defensive players and may want to trade up, while we would want to get back into the mid 3rd round after the first trade.

Draft:

1st (24th overall):
Jonathan Hankins DT 6'3" 320

With guys like Datone Jones and Sheldon Richardson now projected to be picked in the top 20, there aren't a lot of Justin Smith/Ray MacDonald clones to choose from. We could stay pat at 31 and get a guy like Jesse Williams, but his pass rush ability is not on the same level as Hankins, and we desperatly need improved pass rush from our interior DL.

Hankins is young (21 years old) and a little bit raw. He will benefit from a professional strength and conditioning program. But he is already extremely powerful and plays the run and pass very well. He could start at NT from day 1, and rotate in to beef up our very undersized nickle DL. This guy has tons of upside and is worth trading up for.

2nd (49th overall):
Da'Rick Rogers WR 6'3" 217 lbs

I'll probably catch some flak for taking a guy like Rogers this early, but I don't care. If he didn't get booted out of Tennessee he'd be the first WR taken in this draft and probably a top 10 pick, hand's down. He is the most physically talented WR in this draft. In the NFL, character concerns only matter so much. When you are talking about a top 10 talent, I don't think he will fall to the 3rd round or even the end of the 2nd.

Rogers is a good fit for us. We have a solid coaching staff and experienced vets. We need a physical receiver to line-up at split-end that can also stretch the field. Teach this kid how to be a professional and we'll have our own version of Julio Jones. Once Boldin leaves, we'll have Rogers, Crabtree, and Jenkins. That's sick no matter how you look at it.

2nd (61 overall):
Vance McDonald TE 6'4" 267 lbs

This guy is the perfect replacement for Delanie Walker. He's a polished route runner with good hands. Very athletic for his size. He's the 3rd rated TE in this class, but most boards have him listed in the 60s. Needs to develop as a blocker, but his receiving abilities are top notch.

3rd (74 overall):
David Amerson CB/FS 6'1" 205 lbs

We need better pass coverage from our safeties. Period. Outside of the top safety prospects that probably won't be available outside of round 1, the best option is probably a converted CB. Amerson could wind up being an outstanding safety. He'd be great competition with Trenton Robinson for the starting FS spot. 49er staff were on hand at his pro-day. I think there's a good chance this guy becomes a 49er.

3rd (81 overall):
B.W. Webb CB 5'10" 184 lbs

A quick, fluid, nickle corner-back to cover the slot for us. Carlos Rogers is very inconsistent and get's burned repeatedly in the slot. With Percy Harvin going to the Seahawkes, we need an answer. Webb is that guy. He's not someone that you'd ask to play on the outside against bigger WRs. But that's what Culliver and Amerson are for. Webb could be a great value pick if used this way.

4th (128 overall):
JJ Wilcox SS 6'0" 213 lbs

Wilcox is a project player. He is very athletic, but has only played safety for 1 year (converted WR). Could be groomed as a replacement for Whitner.

4th (comp):
Jon Bostic ILB 6'1" 245 lbs

Very productive player at Florida. He's great in run support but struggles in coverage. He's good at reading plays and using smarts to be in the right place to make a play. Could be a solid backup to Willis and Bowman while contributing on special teams.

Thoughts?

For reference, here's a link to my previous mock http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/171759-mock-draft-name-your-crush/search=draft%20crush
U said realistic trades but seems unrealistic trades ....not a fan of hankins at all rather have Jesse Williams N Rogers h*ll no ...
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
U said realistic trades but seems unrealistic trades ....not a fan of hankins at all rather have Jesse Williams N Rogers h*ll no ...

What about the trades is unrealistic? They are very reasonable to me and the other teams involved actually have a reason to trade with us.

What don't you like about Hankins? I've watched just about every youtube video there is on both Hankins and Williams. Hankins is far more disruptive on passing downs than Williams (both very good on run downs).

And I''l assume you're complaint with Rogers is his past off-the-field issues. Cause if you'd ever seen the dude play, you'd want him to be a 49er.
How is it realistic to give up #31 #93 #164 just to move up 7 picks yet we trade #34 #180 N get back #49 N #81 that doesn't seem crazy to u? ??? N Williams came frm a more pro style N ready team N yup doesn't want a head case that wants to fight instead of learn we don't need a Titus young 2.0...
I like your 3rd rd picks. I wouldnt be quite as happy with the first 3 though. Hankins is just so up and down. I would rather stand pat and select Jesse Williams. If I trade up it is going to be for Datrone Jones or Trufant. It isnt that I dont like Rogers or McDonald. I just think there are better picks in the 2nd and would want these guys a rd later. I also dont like that you neglect a pass rusher with all these picks. Find a way to get Jamie Collins in the 2nd and I would like this a lot more.
How is it realistic to give up #31 #93 #164 just to move up 7 picks yet we trade #34 #180 N get back #49 N #81 that doesn't seem crazy to u? ??? N Williams came frm a more pro style N ready team N yup doesn't want a head case that wants to fight instead of learn we don't need a Titus young 2.0...

Ugh, see this: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/46059-draft-value-chart-calculator-see-bottom/

The definition of realistic on the draft forum.
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I like your 3rd rd picks. I wouldnt be quite as happy with the first 3 though. Hankins is just so up and down. I would rather stand pat and select Jesse Williams. If I trade up it is going to be for Datrone Jones or Trufant. It isnt that I dont like Rogers or McDonald. I just think there are better picks in the 2nd and would want these guys a rd later. I also dont like that you neglect a pass rusher with all these picks. Find a way to get Jamie Collins in the 2nd and I would like this a lot more.

Do you mean an OLB? I don't see it as a need. A later round prospect perhaps. But I don't see how any OLB we could pick would even make our roster.

Now if you mean a pass rushing 3-4 DE, I'm not a huge fan of what is likely to be available. Datone Jones could go in the top 20 (if not, then he would be my pick in the 1st). Sheldon Richardson and Shariff Floyd will also be long gone. I like Tank Carradine, but I think he'd be too risky a prospect with his ACL injury and a position change (he's primarily a 4-3 DE).

I think our pass rush would be greatly improved with a better push up the middle. Hankins can do that. He can collapse the pocket and flush the QB. He may not generate the stats, but I'd trade up for him because I think he'd help our pass rush (more than Jesse Williams would).
N if u use tha link in that thread you'll see picks 31,93,164 =1077 N pick 24=952 loop sided N picks 34,180=785 N picks 49,81=904 loop sided
Originally posted by blm7754:
Ugh, see this: http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/nfl-draft/46059-draft-value-chart-calculator-see-bottom/

I am not taking issue with the "realism" of your proposed trades, but note that the draft pick value chart was generated in 2007. Since the new collective bargaining agreement placed caps on rookie salaries, I think teams have tweaked pick values a bit. I haven't seen a revised pick value chart, but the volume of trades last year suggests that teams are applying a less rigid value on draft slots.
Originally posted by midrdan:

I am not taking issue with the "realism" of your proposed trades, but note that the draft pick value chart was generated in 2007. Since the new collective bargaining agreement placed caps on rookie salaries, I think teams have tweaked pick values a bit. I haven't seen a revised pick value chart, but the volume of trades last year suggests that teams are applying a less rigid value on draft slots.

All this maybe true but we work with what we got right ..

Do you mean an OLB? I don't see it as a need. A later round prospect perhaps. But I don't see how any OLB we could pick would even make our roster.

Now if you mean a pass rushing 3-4 DE, I'm not a huge fan of what is likely to be available. Datone Jones could go in the top 20 (if not, then he would be my pick in the 1st). Sheldon Richardson and Shariff Floyd will also be long gone. I like Tank Carradine, but I think he'd be too risky a prospect with his ACL injury and a position change (he's primarily a 4-3 DE).

I think our pass rush would be greatly improved with a better push up the middle. Hankins can do that. He can collapse the pocket and flush the QB. He may not generate the stats, but I'd trade up for him because I think he'd help our pass rush (more than Jesse Williams would).

Yes I mean an OLB. Collins would be a huge upgrade as a pass rusher over any LB we have as a pass rusher other than Aldon and certainly make the roster and have impact on passing downs. If Aldon goes down the Niners have crap for a pass rush.
N if u use tha link in that thread you'll see picks 31,93,164 =1077 N pick 24=952 loop sided N picks 34,180=785 N picks 49,81=904 loop sided

I'm using the graph that Kolohe posted in that thread. Based on that, my trades are fair.

Perhaps it is outdated, but I'm not redoing the mock.... too much work. Maybe later.

Let's get back to discussing the players.
Yes I mean an OLB. Collins would be a huge upgrade as a pass rusher over any LB we have as a pass rusher other than Aldon and certainly make the roster and have impact on passing downs. If Aldon goes down the Niners have crap for a pass rush.

Personally, I think Brooks and Haralson are better pass rushers than they get credit for. Sure, their not on Aldon's level. But I can't think of any team that has the luxury of having multiple elite pass rushers.

I'd also like to see what Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson can do before investing a high draft pick in an OLB. Perhaps that need will rise to the top of the 2014 draft.

Personally, I think Brooks and Haralson are better pass rushers than they get credit for. Sure, their not on Aldon's level. But I can't think of any team that has the luxury of having multiple elite pass rushers.

I'd also like to see what Darius Fleming and Cam Johnson can do before investing a high draft pick in an OLB. Perhaps that need will rise to the top of the 2014 draft.

Haralson has never been a great pass rusher and Fleming and Johnson are later rd limited players. Our secondary turned to s**t when we couldnt put on a pass rush. Just seems pretty darn logical to me that getting pass rushing OLBS is critical to a 3-4 defense.
Haralson has never been a great pass rusher and Fleming and Johnson are later rd limited players. Our secondary turned to s**t when we couldnt put on a pass rush. Just seems pretty darn logical to me that getting pass rushing OLBS is critical to a 3-4 defense.

Yeah, I agree we need better pass rush. But our starting OLBs are pretty damn good. I don't see how we can improve that position much. Sure, we could have better depth.... but I don't like the idea of using anything higher than a 3rd rounder on a backup.

Looking at our personnel and how we looked in 2011 and early 2012 I think the key to our pass rush is getting pressure from our DE's. McDonald isn't much of a pass rusher. Justin is a monster when he's in top form. But both of those guys are undersized to be battling double teams all day... especially against big passing teams.

To me, it seems a disruptive interior DL that can rotate in with Justin and McDonald would be the key ingredient.
Share 49ersWebzone