There are 207 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Mock Premiere 3/23/13

Originally posted by buck:
All and all a good draft

1. Jesse Williams-NT-Alabama

2. Eric Reid-FS-LSU

2. Darius Slay-CB-Mississippi State

3. Brian Schwenke-C/OG-California I see Kilgore taking over at center. Maybe Bennie Logan in this spot.

3. Travis Kelce-TE-Cincinnati

4. Bennie Logan-DE-LSU I do not think he will last to the fourth, but love it if he does.

4. Gerald Hodges-LB-Penn State

5. Chase Thomas-OLB-Stanford

5. Reid Fragel-OT-Ohio State

6. Marquess Wilson-WR-Washington State

7. Cody Davis-SS-Texas Tech

7. Joe Kruger-DE-Utah I would go with Nick Williams from Samford.

7. Reggie Dunn-WR/KR-Utah not sure we need a replica of Ginn. We have others to return punts.

7. Vernon Kearney-CB-Lane I would look for a late falling OLB with pass rushing skills maybe Quanterus Smith

IMO Schwenke would be a great pickup. He could almost be an instant starter. Way better than the projects that are looney and kilgore. Both looney and Kilgore are guards trying to be converted to C. Schwenke IMO is the best C in this draft.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
IMO Schwenke would be a great pickup. He could almost be an instant starter. Way better than the projects that are looney and kilgore. Both looney and Kilgore are guards trying to be converted to C. Schwenke IMO is the best C in this draft.

It could make sense from a BPA standpoint if the 49ers are as high on him as you are. We certainly have the luxury of having enough picks to take a chance on a guy who looks like the best at his position, provided he slips far enough.

But drafting a C in the 3rd with the state of our team is a bit of a head-scratcher, you must admit.
Not sure about tha Williams pick in tha first round we don't use a NT alot N I thought Logan is a DT/NT? ??? u have Kruger my late round draft crush great job there lol
I'd be so happy with those first three picks. Especially Eric Reid at FS. Tall, fast, good cover guy, good tackler - the whole package. And Jesse Williams can play in both of the basic line sets. He can be in the middle in the base 3-4 and rotate at one of the tackles in the Nickle.
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Not sure about tha Williams pick in tha first round we don't use a NT alot N I thought Logan is a DT/NT? ??? u have Kruger my late round draft crush great job there lol

If one more person says this, I'm going to throw my computer out the window. One of the reasons an NT is so crucial is because it allows the 49ers to maintain their advantage in terms of stuffing the run and forcing teams into 2nd and long..3rd and long...etc. Soap got run over this year, the team overall did well because other players such as Willis, Bowman, McDonald and Justin are beasts in terms of stopping the run, but I think far too many are underestimating what a quality NT could do for this defense in terms of freeing up the linebackers and creating even more favorable opportunities and situations for this defense.

I also think too many discount out-of-hand that Soap's snaps may have been limited in part due to his underwhelming level of performance. He simply wasn't effective, didn't bring anything to the table in terms of the pass rush and struggled to stop the run.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

If one more person says this, I'm going to throw my computer out the window. One of the reasons an NT is so crucial is because it allows the 49ers to maintain their advantage in terms of stuffing the run and forcing teams into 2nd and long..3rd and long...etc. Soap got run over this year, the team overall did well because other players such as Willis, Bowman, McDonald and Justin are beasts in terms of stopping the run, but I think far too many are underestimating what a quality NT could do for this defense in terms of freeing up the linebackers and creating even more favorable opportunities and situations for this defense.

I also think too many discount out-of-hand that Soap's snaps may have been limited in part due to his underwhelming level of performance. He simply wasn't effective, didn't bring anything to the table in terms of the pass rush and struggled to stop the run.

I understand what N why we need a good NT/DT just not sure about first round why not Brandon Williams at #61 or #74 is all I'm thinking ...
I understand what N why we need a good NT/DT just not sure about first round why not Brandon Williams at #61 or #74 is all I'm thinking ...

Quality of the player. I would be happy with Brandon Williams in the 2nd round as well, I just think Jesse Williams is the most ready to contribute, he played at a high level against top competition, playing on the top defense in college football. He's about as close to pro-ready as it gets, and of course an NT is going to take longer to develop, so the closer a guy is to that level, the better. He is also versatile enough to move around the line. Additionally, as much as people talk about Margus Hunt having a high ceiling, Williams has only been playing football for a short time and I believe he has much more to offer as he develops.
  • buck
  • Veteran

Yes. The nose tackle is critical in a 3-4 defense.

When people say that we do not use a nose tackle a lot, they are considering the fact that Sopoaga only played 30% to 34% of the snaps.

That is mistake. It assumes that number of snaps played by Sopoaga is the number of snaps played by a nose tackle.

That is NOT true.

The number of snaps played by Sopoaga is not the same as the number of snaps played by a nose tackle.

Ricky Jean Francois also played nose tackle. During the season he played both DE and NT.
In addition, Sopoaga missed one game. Ricky Jean Francois replaced him for that game.

The number snaps played by a nose tackle would be the total number of snaps that Soap, RJF, and Ian Williams played at nose tackle.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 24, 2013 at 9:57 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran

Your point is logical, but might not be true.

We do not know anything how these projects, Kilgore or Looney, are doing at center.

We will have a better idea of what the coaching staff thinks after the draft.
We don't need that many picks.

1) Trade up to get some more elite picks.

2) Trade some picks for picks next year and we can stockpile some picks for 2014.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

2) Trade some picks for picks next year and we can stockpile some picks for 2014.

By no means do I expect the team to keep all their picks, but people know my standard style of not speculating on trades, so I slot with the picks we have, as if we would keep them, just to give an idea of guys that I think would be potential targets.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

By no means do I expect the team to keep all their picks, but people know my standard style of not speculating on trades, so I slot with the picks we have, as if we would keep them, just to give an idea of guys that I think would be potential targets.

I understand what you are saying. I do hope we deal up some. And deal our way back into the 2014 draft with some picks given up this year. I think both those moves benefit us greatly.
  • Nuns
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Butter:
Love the Williams and Schwenke pics.

I would personally take Thomas, and Alford over Reid and Slay. Personal Preferance there.

I would also take Ace sanders in the sixth, and the Kaufman in the seventh instead of Wilson and Dunn. Personal Preferance again.

Overall i could be happy if the draft went something like this, i ahree with areas of position, just not necissarily players.

No way to Ace Saunders. He's this years Brandon Williams. Small and slow. Dunn is a far superior pick. I was very happy to see him in your mock OTC. He's my favorite late round sleeper for a returner by far.

People can say hes small and slow all they want, hes not a track star, but he will shake tacklers out of their cleats. He ran a 4.53, who cares. Any one who watched him run at the combine could tell he lacked proper technique when it comes to 40 yard times on a track.

The guy is a baller, and is gonna supprise people with the numbers he puts up in the NFL as a return man, even though it really shouldnt be a suprise. Guy makes people look silly on the football field.

So did Mccluster, and he hasn't amounted to anything in the NFL. Too small and not quite fast enough, despite excellent "football speed".
Good to have you back, OTC

Quality of the player. I would be happy with Brandon Williams in the 2nd round as well, I just think Jesse Williams is the most ready to contribute, he played at a high level against top competition, playing on the top defense in college football. He's about as close to pro-ready as it gets, and of course an NT is going to take longer to develop, so the closer a guy is to that level, the better. He is also versatile enough to move around the line. Additionally, as much as people talk about Margus Hunt having a high ceiling, Williams has only been playing football for a short time and I believe he has much more to offer as he develops.

As with most draft debates... I find myself agreeing with Phoenix yet again.

Jesse Williams brings more athleticism to the position. He can play 3-4 NT, 4-3 DT, and even 3-4 DE. He can move like other guys that are 30 lbs lighter.

Brandon Williams is also a solid prospect, but wouldn't give us quite as much flexibility as Jesse would. But if we don't get Jesse at 31, we should look for Brandon at 61.
Share 49ersWebzone