There are 215 users in the forums

OnTheClock's Mock Premiere 3/23/13

• GEEK
  • Veteran
Great mock. You address key positions early and bolster the depth at positions that have voids.

Just a couple of thoughts:

- Even with a sub-par combine, I don't see Chase Thomas slipping in the late 5th round (Colts pick). I see him as a 4th rounder, and our comp pick would be a perfect selection for him.

- Joe Kruger in the 7th? He had a good combine (4.8~ 40 time) and put up respectable numbers in 2012. In addition, I think him being connected with Paul Kruger will bolster his stock to the 4th-5th round range - especially since more teams are converting to the 3-4 D.

And a question for you: There were plenty of rumors that Baalke wanted Bruce Irvin last year, and were shocked that he was taken so early in the draft. Do you think the 49ers go pass rush DE/OLB earlier - regardless of Fleming being drafted last year?
Dude xcellent mock. Just dont think baalke will pick those many players also i believe we have 2 4th rounf picks and would like to see a wr with one our 4th round picksbut your 1st 5 picks are right on point
Originally posted by Rgonelove:
Dude xcellent mock. Just dont think baalke will pick those many players also i believe we have 2 4th rounf picks and would like to see a wr with one our 4th round picksbut your 1st 5 picks are right on point

I think the people wanting WR will be disappointed this year. The 49ers traded one of their picks for Boldin. Then they restructured Manningham when I previously thought they would cut him. Then they signed Moore in a somewhat mysterious move.

I haven't even gotten to Jenkins or Lockette. The above three moves signal that we won't focus on WR in the draft. Just think of Jenkins and Lockette as this year's draft class. Jenkins replaces someone we would take in the first two rounds, and Lockette replaces a burner we might take a flier on on day 3.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:
Love the Williams and Schwenke pics.

I would personally take Thomas, and Alford over Reid and Slay. Personal Preferance there.

I would also take Ace sanders in the sixth, and the Kaufman in the seventh instead of Wilson and Dunn. Personal Preferance again.

Overall i could be happy if the draft went something like this, i ahree with areas of position, just not necissarily players.

No way to Ace Saunders. He's this years Brandon Williams. Small and slow. Dunn is a far superior pick. I was very happy to see him in your mock OTC. He's my favorite late round sleeper for a returner by far.
The outstanding theme of this mock is that it's realistic in terms of availability. Williams may go a few slots higher or lower. Reid probably starts from day one. Thanks for the time and effort.
A nice collection of talent.

The draft is like a virus. It follows you around relentlessly until you finally give in. Kuddos for lasting out until March. I made it to September.

Kearney is a guy I am thinking will make the seventh round. The copycat league is moving toward the tall, athletic corners, and Kearney fits.
Nice mock OTC! Really would like to see Eric Reid on the 49ers!
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Thanks, Clock.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Mar 24, 2013 at 7:15 AM ]
If our first five picks fell like that(barring any possible trades, of course), the rest of the draft would be gravy.
No WR picked till round 5? That's a big mistake IMO.

How about Da'Rick Rogers at 74 instead of Schwenke. In 2013, our starters are set at both WR and C... but in 2014, after Boldin and Manningham's contracts are up and Crabtree's is nearing an end... WR is a much more critical need. We must address it now.

This is a really nice job, OTC. The entire top of your list covers needs, with thoughtful choices. NT and S are the most immediate opportunities for playing time and with Roger's big contract, another corner is needed in addition to DWalk's replacement. I would have rather drafted another OL, than more WR's. If Mario and KW come back sound, I dont see any spots except for the PS.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by blm7754:
No WR picked till round 5? That's a big mistake IMO.

How about Da'Rick Rogers at 74 instead of Schwenke. In 2013, our starters are set at both WR and C... but in 2014, after Boldin and Manningham's contracts are up and Crabtree's is nearing an end... WR is a much more critical need. We must address it now.

I agree, we have to go WR a little earlier. Ideally, with the 61st pick.
Originally posted by LieutKaffee:
I think the people wanting WR will be disappointed this year. The 49ers traded one of their picks for Boldin. Then they restructured Manningham when I previously thought they would cut him. Then they signed Moore in a somewhat mysterious move.

I haven't even gotten to Jenkins or Lockette. The above three moves signal that we won't focus on WR in the draft. Just think of Jenkins and Lockette as this year's draft class. Jenkins replaces someone we would take in the first two rounds, and Lockette replaces a burner we might take a flier on on day 3.

I don't think I'll be disappointed

Manningham's injury was serious. I'd actually be surprised if he plays at all this season. It will be mid-season before his body is ready, and by then I bet somebody else steps up and overtakes him on the depth chart.

I really do have faith in Jenkins. But even if he lives up to his draft status, WR will still be a need in 2014.... and it takes at least a year to develop a WR.

I think, more likely, anybody expecting anything from Lockette and Moore will be disappointed.
Originally posted by ninergold:
This is a really nice job, OTC. The entire top of your list covers needs, with thoughtful choices. NT and S are the most immediate opportunities for playing time and with Roger's big contract, another corner is needed in addition to DWalk's replacement. I would have rather drafted another OL, than more WR's. If Mario and KW come back sound, I dont see any spots except for the PS.

Again, Mario isn't likely to be available till mid-season... and expecting to still perform at the same level is simply unrealistic.

And KW, he's somebody that we can easily find an upgrade for.

I hate how everybody here puts all this faith in our injured or scrub backup receivers but doesn't have faith in our 2012 draft picks (Looney, Robsinson, Fleming, Johnson).
Would love it. Thanks, OTC!
Share 49ersWebzone