LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 242 users in the forums

What is our biggest need as of today?

What is our biggest need as of today?

Safety is a bigg need but its also a really deep SS/FS draft class I think DE N CB should be top two picks ... alot of good CBs N if we can land banks then please do so ...
i would say another pass rusher..i believe balke's true draft crush was bruce irvin of west virginia...think if nkiners had him rather than jenkins when justin and aldon smith got banged up...the pass rush would have been better and the defensive backfield would have looked a whole lot better

i think that niners may pull the plug on jarvis jones or damonte moore if they fall due to their bad workouts, because both have pass rush ability, especially jones
  • buck
  • Veteran
from Matt Maiocco

What positions will they target most with the first 4 picks in the draft? (Rick Chlopicki)

"The 49ers are scheduled to have five selections in the top 93 selections. I'd be very surprised if the 49ers keep those picks without any kind of movement- up, down or even to next year's draft.

Free safety is the only spot where the 49ers will be expected to select a player capable of starting immediately. But that does not mean they'll take a safety with the No. 31 overall pick -- or even at No. 34.

This is a great draft at the safety position. At the NFL owners meetings, I repeatedly heard that a lot of teams believe there are five or six immediate starting safeties coming out in the draft.

Tight end, defensive line and corner back are other positions where the 49ers can be expected to pounce, depending on which players are available at the times they make their selections."

http://www.csnbayarea.com/blog/matt-maiocco/49ers-mailbag-extension-crabtree

with crabs, boldin, manningham, williams and jenkins, they barely have room for another wr. i think if they carry a 6th guy, he's going to be a ST player. lockette might be that guy, or even chad hall.

now that they signed a k, the only starting spot open would be at safety. although, you could convince me they could draft a NT that could start.

i do think they need to be thinking of who takes goodwin's place and the same could be said for rogers and whitner. i'm hoping cowboy sticks around a couple more years.
Three things: defense, defense and defense.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
better looking cheerleaders

Yeah I think we have the worst in the league
I think Dorsey is going to fulfill the expectations coming out of LSU. Safety with the first pick, the second, depending how Baalke calls the shot, DL or TE.
Originally posted by petethekiller:
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
better looking cheerleaders

Yeah I think we have the worst in the league

Almost certainly. Compare it to the Buccanears, Cowboys or Texans. Not good.
It's had to say... based on what we know, our top need is a FS.

However, I believe that Trenton Robinson was drafted to replace Goldson. We knew before the 2012 draft, what Goldson's contract demands were. We knew what our future cap would look like (mostly). We knew that he would most likely need a replacement. And we picked Robinson to be that guy. He is an unknown, but I trust Baalke and think that Robinson can fill Goldson's shoes.

BTW, there is a big difference between our biggest need and how we should draft. We have needs at more crucial positions coming in the next year or two. DE and WR must be considered very early on draft weekend.
[ Edited by blm7754 on Mar 23, 2013 at 8:24 PM ]
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NYCNINER:
Safety, DL & TE/WR. As long as we address these 3 in our first 3 selections... it matters not in which order!

If we take the BPA at a position of need for every pick, we should be able to meet our needs.

A difference maker Tavon Austin
  • buck
  • Veteran
This is from Yahoo Sports March 24

LAST SEASONRush
Offense - 155.7 ypg (4th)
Pass Offense - 206.1 ypg (23rd)
Total Offense - 361.8 ypg (11th)
Scoring Offense - 24.8 ppg (11th)
Rush Defense - 94.2 ypg (4th)
Pass Defense - 200.2 ypg (4th)
Total Defense - 294.4 ypg (3rd)
Scoring Defense - 17.1 ppg (2nd)

MOST PRESSING NEEDS

Offense: Backup tight end and additional dynamic weapon (RB/WR)

Defense: Defensive line and safety

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2013-49ers-draft-needs--fully-loaded--san-francisco-can-focus-on-value-this-season-054049542.html

edit: The article gives possible picks (by round) for each need. Interesting.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 23, 2013 at 9:39 PM ]
Originally posted by buck:
This is from Yahoo Sports March 24

LAST SEASONRush
Offense - 155.7 ypg (4th)
Pass Offense - 206.1 ypg (23rd)
Total Offense - 361.8 ypg (11th)
Scoring Offense - 24.8 ppg (11th)
Rush Defense - 94.2 ypg (4th)
Pass Defense - 200.2 ypg (4th)
Total Defense - 294.4 ypg (3rd)
Scoring Defense - 17.1 ppg (2nd)

MOST PRESSING NEEDS

Offense: Backup tight end and additional dynamic weapon (RB/WR)

Defense: Defensive line and safety

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--2013-49ers-draft-needs--fully-loaded--san-francisco-can-focus-on-value-this-season-054049542.html

There's little chance that Tavon Austin is on the board at the back-end of the first round, but with the ammunition that the 49ers have, don't be surprised to see them package picks to move up to target Austin. Jim Harbaugh loves players that put maximum pressure on defenses and no player in the draft does that as much as Austin. Markus Wheaton applies pressure on defenses with his track speed. Ryan Swope has 4.34 speed and he's tremendous out of the slot and after the catch.
FS and NT are the two spots where we can draft early and see immediate return on our investment.
  • buck
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
The squirmy answer is that it really doesn't matter. We have enough firepower to address all of these perceived "major needs" in the draft by going BPA.

I agree wholeheartedly.

The hard part is selecting a player that turns out to really be the best player available.

Bring your A game, Mr. Baalke.
Share 49ersWebzone