LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 208 users in the forums

Developmental WR with high ceiling

Now that the Niners have signed Bolden, I think we can lock in the starting WR depth chart with Crabtree and Boldin. Barring injury or a dramatic fall off of productivity, I do not think many rookies will break into that mold. Also, assuming that Jenkins steps up this year (crosses fingers) he should hopefully improve his production. Combining all of that with the potential return of Manningham and Williams and the importance of the TE position, the Niners don't really have to reach for a WR IMHO.

However, looking down the road, Crabtree's next contract expectations will be HUGE. Boldin has a limited number of years left, and there is no way of knowing how productive Manningham and Williams will be.

Finallly, WR take time to develop. There is a common conception that it can take up to three seasons to really determine how good they really are.

I believe that the Niners should draft a development WR, probably in the 4th or 5th round. I'd like to see someone who is purely a WR on the outside with some decent speed and a redzone target. If Darick Rogers falls to the late 3rd, he would be a good option, or if they package late picks and move up, that'd be great too.

Who are the best mid round prospects at WR who could challenge for a starting spot in the next few years?
There's way too many guys to consider when using a definition that broad. However, some of my favorite late round WR's include Marcus Davis of Virginia Tech, Mark Harrison of Rutgers, Brandon Kaufman of Eastern Washington, Marquess Wilson of Washington State, Jasper Collins of Mount Union and Roy Roundtree of Michigan,
Mly top two are Brandon Kaufman N Marcus Davis not sure of any others but I bet they're out there ... got Kaufman mock to us with 7th round comp pick
Originally posted by tatdwolf49:
Mly top two are Brandon Kaufman N Marcus Davis not sure of any others but I bet they're out there ... got Kaufman mock to us with 7th round comp pick

My worry about Kaufman is his overall speed. He's not too fast and he's not overly physical, not sure how he'll get separation at the next level but he's a hell of a redzone target, that's for sure.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:

My worry about Kaufman is his overall speed. He's not too fast and he's not overly physical, not sure how he'll get separation at the next level but he's a hell of a redzone target, that's for sure.

Yea not sure about numbers or speed ..I luv his size(i want a bigg TO type WR)N remember reading somewhere think it was Walter football about his first yr starting he had like 160+ or 1800+ yards N 10-15 TDS(don't quote me number for number I'm.not 100% sure) but was injured tha next yr ...

Actually reminds me alot of Marques Colston.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Everyone reminds you of Marques Colston.
There's way too many guys to consider when using a definition that broad. However, some of my favorite late round WR's include Marcus Davis of Virginia Tech, Mark Harrison of Rutgers, Brandon Kaufman of Eastern Washington, Marquess Wilson of Washington State, Jasper Collins of Mount Union and Roy Roundtree of Michigan,

I'm targeting WR specifically in the 4th or 5th rounds, maybe the tail of the 3rd if significant value falls.

I went back and did some research, and the more I look at it, I think there might be some really good value in that range for a developmental WR.

3-4
Da'rick Rogers
Stedman Bailey

4-5
Josh Boyce
Cobi Hamilton
Taverres King
Kenny Stills

5-6
Aaron Mellete
Corey Fuller
Member Milestone: This is post number 3,000 for IdahoNiner.
Originally posted by IdahoNiner:

Everyone reminds you of Marques Colston.

Have i compared other WR's to colston? dont recall?

Anyways, the similarities are there. Both are big WR's that dont create alot of seperation, but can track the ball well and go up and get it. Both ran in the 4.6 range. Colston 4.63 i beleive, and Kaufman 4.67.
[ Edited by IdahoNiner on Mar 23, 2013 at 3:05 AM ]
Kind of reminds me oh JJ Stokes

• buck
  • Veteran
I think we need to look for more than a developmental wide receiver in this draft.

Crabtree and Boldin is a solid combo of receivers, but our depth behind them seems to be very shallow.

Perhaps, I am being overly pessimistic, but the chances that Manningham, our #3 receiver, will be able to contribute next year do not appear good. More importantly, we will not know that before the draft.

Counting on Kyle Williams to become a solid #3 wide receiver is like me counting on having sex with the the gorgeous young woman in the apartment next to mine. She is really friendly, but it just is not going to happen.

Williams' injury does not preoccupy me as much as he lack of production.
In three years, he has had 35 receptions for 461 yards; which is almost identical to the production we got from Manningham last year.
[ Edited by buck on Mar 23, 2013 at 2:31 PM ]
For a developmental WR later round pick Marcus Davis caught my eye at the combine big and fast but like every player in the draft he needs to be coached up.
Good post.

I like Kyle and hope AJ can be what he was drafted for.

But enough of the Lolipop Guilde - we need a big fast reveiver in the mix. The idea of getting a couple to develop is excellent and I feel we have the coaches to do it.

As for who they are, I go the Zone and you guys to highlight the prospects to look at. Thanks.
yeah his name is Ricardo Lockette
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Draft Chris Harper and stick him under Boldin's wing.
Share 49ersWebzone