There are 170 users in the forums

How Many of You Buy Draft Guides

How Many of You Buy Draft Guides

Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by Mr.Mcgibblets:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Draft guides are garbage. Over the past few years, I've seen the ones my buddies buy and fans are better off researching prospects online.

This is the truth. I used to buy them just for additional stuff to read when I was killing time waiting for something. They were all rather inaccurate in some way or another, and with the internet availability today? not really worth the bother unless you don't mind blowing the money on them just for extra kicks.

With the increased availability of broad band it is less necessary to have hard copies of almost any info, but for those of us who are still addicted to holding books and magazines in our hands as we move about they are still fun to have. PFW lists the 9ers needs as: Offense--WR, QB and TE while defense is DT, OLB and S. Those are accurate assessments...even now. They try to increase accuracy by listing DTs in three categories, but I find that overkill...but interesting. They list WRs as X, Z or F and I find that to be overkill as well...although instructive.

I really doubt Harbaugh cares whether a WR is listed in any category, he no doubt sees the athlete in terms of overall ability and then thinks about what he could do with that player...not whether the player fits as a Z versus F. What I enjoy about the whole lead up to the draft is comparing what is said about any given player by five or six sources. Then two years later you read the sources again, harder to do on the net, and see where they were accurate or not. My collection of Lindy's is growing and every time I put them in the throw away pile...they keep winding up back in my bookcase!

Oh, no doubt, they can provide some decent info and help cross-check accuracy from other sources. I wouldn't scoff at anyone that buys them. When I traveled years ago, I'd buy them and read every word to help get my draft fix (and pass the time). Now that I barely leave the house and surf all day? I won't bother so much with the mags. Maybe I will, just for the heck of it... but it's not at all the priority it was back then.

• Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
I used to buy them all - now ust Lindy's.

Way too much cash outlay - really not worth it.

Same here.

Lindy's is the most detailed IMO.
This forum is my draft guide.

Huge props to all who give such insightful opinions.
I'm addicted to reading all the draft stuff on the internet and with mags. I like the magazines out at lunch and in the bathroom. I usually get Lindy's and PW. The PW one gives you codes to get a free update issue before and after the draft. I've just got the USA Today one. It was decent last year. I hated the Sporting News one and Kipers. I mostly refer to the Frank Coyle's book from Draft Insider. It comes in PDF's now. The profiles are very detailed. I'm always looking back at the old ones to look up FA's we were interested in like Sean Smith, ones we signed like Dorsey, or fringe guys like Lockette.
Oh, no doubt, they can provide some decent info and help cross-check accuracy from other sources. I wouldn't scoff at anyone that buys them. When I traveled years ago, I'd buy them and read every word to help get my draft fix (and pass the time). Now that I barely leave the house and surf all day? I won't bother so much with the mags. Maybe I will, just for the heck of it... but it's not at all the priority it was back then.

Yes, if I really want to be serious in research I might rely more on the net, but I'm still just stealing moments from the day to read posts on here and then some magazines when I'm between meetings, etc. I'm not sure how involved I'll be once I retire but it might be fun to really watch more video and draw more of my own conclusions. I get a lot reading the various threads on here...speaking of which, are you going to update your prospect list? I have been using your list, and Maddog's, to compare with CBS and ESPN. When I see a mock that has a guy going in the seventh round, but is listed in the top fifty on all the lists it helps me "judge" the mock.
Originally posted by Dblj55:
This forum is my draft guide.

Huge props to all who give such insightful opinions.

Yes, if I really want to be serious in research I might rely more on the net, but I'm still just stealing moments from the day to read posts on here and then some magazines when I'm between meetings, etc. I'm not sure how involved I'll be once I retire but it might be fun to really watch more video and draw more of my own conclusions. I get a lot reading the various threads on here...speaking of which, are you going to update your prospect list? I have been using your list, and Maddog's, to compare with CBS and ESPN. When I see a mock that has a guy going in the seventh round, but is listed in the top fifty on all the lists it helps me "judge" the mock.

Oh, please do look at the updated one.. lolz.. it's far more credible. I can't post it here.. like MD said, the format doesn't make it work well... and I'm too stupid to learn. (scroll down a hair)

http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=514155
Oh, please do look at the updated one.. lolz.. it's far more credible. I can't post it here.. like MD said, the format doesn't make it work well... and I'm too stupid to learn. (scroll down a hair)

Wow! Nice job! Will be handy. Are you going to do a top 100 or 200 list to add here?

Can't remember ever seeing so many DT so highly rated in the draft. Usually it seems there a few big DTs and then huge questions, but I see a lot of really good players projected to be picked in the first two rounds. Then there will be some steals later. I guess I'm shocked because, for the first time in years, the niners areas of needs are relatively strong--DT and S.

Having five high picks is driving me crazy! Normally I like to follow the draft but know they will only get a couple players who are exciting--like James and Jenkins last year. This year they should really bring in a haul! I could see at least four guys who will be starters in the next year or two--S, DT, WR, C and CB will need competitors soon, if not this year.

Thanks again for the great info!

Wow! Nice job! Will be handy. Are you going to do a top 100 or 200 list to add here?

Can't remember ever seeing so many DT so highly rated in the draft. Usually it seems there a few big DTs and then huge questions, but I see a lot of really good players projected to be picked in the first two rounds. Then there will be some steals later. I guess I'm shocked because, for the first time in years, the niners areas of needs are relatively strong--DT and S.

Having five high picks is driving me crazy! Normally I like to follow the draft but know they will only get a couple players who are exciting--like James and Jenkins last year. This year they should really bring in a haul! I could see at least four guys who will be starters in the next year or two--S, DT, WR, C and CB will need competitors soon, if not this year.

Thanks again for the great info!

definitely a beer night!

not sure about a rigid 100-250 bigboard.. never been how I rolled before...
definitely a beer night!

Come to think of it, with your rounds listed with each player it really isn't necessary to add. Plus it seems it would add subjectivity rather than clarity. Don't usually drink much on a work night but what the heck!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Mar 25, 2013 at 8:33 PM ]

I've bough the Pro Football Weekly draft guide several times. IMO that is the best one. A lot of good stats in there and decent scouting reports. I've bought Kiper's books and IMO they are not as good. I don't see the hype there. Not even as well written or layed out. As others said there is a lot online to look at prospects. BTW Pro Football Weekly and Kiper both do updates so you get the pro day results included if you buy some additional follow up books or online subscriptions. So yes it's 2 - 3 months ahead like others said but there are updates later.

PFW is a good book IMO. Just a tad expensive. It's about $20 or so give or take. You can get a lot free online. So I've done it both ways. I think PFW is the best draft book. And I'm not talking about the magazine. Rather the specific draft book. That one is worth it if you are looking for a resource.
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Mar 25, 2013 at 8:51 PM ]
definitely a beer night!

Come to think of it, with your rounds listed with each player it really isn't necessary to add. Plus it seems it would add subjectivity rather than clarity. Don't usually drink much on a work night but what the heck!

My girl has been in Florida since Friday, so for me, it's a FREE week till Thursday, whOOO!!!!!
Make my own over the course of the year.
I usually buy PFW, Lindy's and USA Today's, I like the USA Today since it has multiple mocks in it.

I always wanted to do a magazine or just paper, but don't know where to start. Obviously too late, but would be a nice thing for up coming seasons drafts.
anyone ever ordered kiper's guide...
sporting news unsed to do a guide, havent seen it this year
Share 49ersWebzone